Home Forums Chat Forum Replacing conservatory roof – experiences

• This topic has 16 replies, 14 voices, and was last updated 1 year ago by db.
Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)
  • Replacing conservatory roof – experiences
  • ross980
    Free Member

I’m considering replacing my conservatory roof (normal twinwall polycarbonate type installed by previous owner) with one of those composite types that looks like standard roof tiles.

The conservatory is a decent size and a really useful space, but I have the usual issue that it’s freezing cold in winter and too hot in summer. I’m not interested in just insulating the existing polycarb roof, mainly due to the aesthetics.

Has anyone had this done? What are your experiences? Who did you use? How long did it take and what did it cost?

TIA

nbt

we had a full flat roof to replace a that kind of roof and the difference is night and day. If your conservatory will support the increased weight, then go for it

oikeith

I had a company come out and quote me to replace my conservatory roof with those tiles, the quote was more then a quote I had to tear it down and build a proper building, plaster and electrics!

Some of the draw backs I noted from a very honest conversation with the sales men, conservatorys general have a life of 20-25 years, mine is easily half way through that, so I could have spent lots of nice money on this new roof for it to then outlast the rest of the UPVC parts! The other issue was, those lovely tiles are just tiles, you cant put lights on/in them so need to think of a way to replace the daylight you’ll lose and also how to light it at night.

Greybeard
    Free Member

A friend was interested in this but was quoted about £12k for a fairly small conservatory. I’d be interested to know if others have had better quotes.

franksinatra

We looked at this and opted for a proper tear down and build a room option instead.

nbt

we paid 10k for the full GRP (*may have the wrong initials) roof with a 20 year guarantee, including finishing and making good inside, with interior lights fitted. Approx 4*5 m. Took a team of lads 2 days to complete, they worked like trojans

poolman
    Free Member

Same here, 20 year old conservatory with polycarb roof.  A few builders have looked at it, basically build a new extension as part of the house.  Will be spendy but adding all year living space you ll get your money back, plus.  Mines developed into full ground floor wrap around, as its not much more to carry on building.

Looking at nearby refurb, looks like that’s what everyone’s doing.  Solid walls, roof lanterns, proper glass.

TheGingerOne

We replaced ours with proper Pilkington K double glazed glass roof and it has made a noticeable difference to the conservatory. Not only is it far quieter when it rains, but it is noticeably warmer in the winter and cooler in the summer than it was. Obv. It still gets a bit warm and a bit chilly, but certainly not as bad.

big_scot_nanny

If I could offer an alternative, we could not afford an extension nor the roof tile thing, so onto the inside of our 16yr old PVC roofed conservatory we had fitted that conservatory roof insulation stuff. We use the room all the time as dining and entertaining, so we needed to do something. 

I think we paid about 3K for 18m2. We also got perfect fit insulating pleated blinds that might have cost about the same. 

It’s very good. Not too hot when it’s hot, not cold when it’s cold (this was the main thing for us in Stirling, and we’ve found it now pretty much the warmest room in the house). Can have a conversation when it’s raining. 

It gave us confidence to take the big external double doors away that led into the conservatory and make it all part of the kitchen. I know that is against all sorts of building controls, but we’ll figure that out later. (is OK with our insurance, we checked). 

Let me know if you want a referral, I’ll get a nice kick back! 

We’re a month into ours and it’s been fantastic.

We paid £10,500 for the roof, a privacy wall (replaced the frosted glass to our neighbours side) electrics/lights and plastering.

Took them 5 days total. Next job is removing the sliding doors and skimming the faces, level the floor and carry through the floor from the kitchen/diner.

If you haven’t got the cash for an extension or simply CBA with the faff I’d recommend the lightweight roof.

gazzab1955

We had ours done 9 years ago when replacement “proper” roofs started to become available. It is fully insulated 3 layers of celotex insulation, and has plastic tiling (re-cycled plastic and looks exactly like slate). It has been good so far, keeps the room warm in the winter, cool in the summer and we don’t have to close the doors when it rains because of the noise! The room is 20ft x 16ft with windows all the way around on 3 sides so light isn’t an issue. The ceiling is vaulted (as with the original one)  and painted white, a single uplighter lights up the whole room. The cost was just over £13k in 2014, not much less than what the conservatory cost when it was built in 2000. Spookily enough I spoke to our neighbours yesterday who are thinking of having the same done to their conservatory (the polycarbonate roof is knackered) and they are being quoted £26k-£32k!
    Whilst I kind of agree that at those costs you could build a solid walled extension I would check the costs thoroughly first as building materials and the cost of labour have sky rocketed since the pandemic. You also have the costs and rigmarole of going thru planning permission etc. So it may not be as simple as it looks on paper. Having said all that if we were doing it again I would go for a proper brick extension with bi-fold doors on two sides, something else that wasn’t readily available when we had the original build done 23 years ago.

ross980
    Free Member

I’m not sure why anyone would ever buy a conservatory… Proper extension or don’t bother IMHO. Anyway…

I probably get a quote for the tiles, though I can see it being prohibitively expensive. I might look at some of the alternatives above.  It doesn’t help that the previous owner removed the door between the dining room and the conservatory, so it acts like a heat sink in the winter. 

I’m not sure why anyone would ever buy a conservatory… Proper extension or don’t bother IMHO. Anyway…

I probably get a quote for the tiles, though I can see it being prohibitively expensive. I might look at some of the alternatives above. It doesn’t help that the previous owner removed the door between the dining room and the conservatory, so it acts like a heat sink in the winter.

Fosho. I CBA with the faff of demolishing it so we decided to make the best of it and it’s worked out for us.

But yeah, if I was looking to add space I wouldn’t bother.

Hope you find what you need.

kormoran
    Free Member

I inherited a conservatory when i moved in. Usual problems – super cold or unbearably hot. I can’t afford to do much to it but I have put greenhouse paint on the roof and it has made it a very usable space for far longer. Only proper winter is out of bounds now. The paint has reduced the overheating and also got rid of the bright glare that makes you squint and burns your head. Now it is just a nice calm light. There is plenty of solar gain even on dull days which is very pleasant

I used a roller on a stick and did 5 or six thin coats and it looks pretty good, not streaky just flat white. Total cost a tenner, which has been good value considering how much more use ive got from the conservatory.

If i could afford it, id tear down and rebuild properly, but I can’t for lack of cash

sandboy

I built our conservatory with a polycarbonate roof and replaced it about 8 years ago with cedar shingles. Wood panelled on the inside and with 50mm kingspan insulation and tyvec membrane, it’s been very good in comparison to the plastic roof.
    Much warmer when it’s cold and a lot cooler in the summer.

brokenbanjo

We pulled our glass roof conservatory down, laid a patio and got bi-folds to the outside installed. Made things a million times better and haven’t missed the space which was only used to keep guinea pigs in.

db
    Free Member

I’m not sure why anyone would ever buy a conservatory

we have bought 2! First got removed to build an extension but we missed it so much we got another. Current one is a fantastic space about 6m by 4m. Used all year round. In summer we open the bifold doors and in winter use the underfloor heating.

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.