Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)
  • Replacing a 2014 Giant Trance, harder than I thought..
  • Nick

I think its time to replace my trusty 2014 27.5 Trance. We’ve been everywhere together from mucky Thursday night rides in the woods to 3 day bikepacking in Wales and the Lakes, and long days up and down and up around the Long Mynd, but its well used and drive train, wheels, brakes and bearings are all tired, and the paint has seen better days too.

This year I’ve got the Dyfi Enduro and Passportes du Soleil and plenty more mucky nights and hopefully more than a few days out riding up the hills nearby.

So what to replace it with? Its a bit confusing, its all Enduro bikes or something called Trail bikes which seem to be short travel slack geometry play things that might not climb all that well.

I’m not a big hitter, I like the odd drop off and the Trance has encourage more airtime than I remember since the 80s on my BMX, but equally, climbing for 30 minutes has got to be doeable.

No constraints on anything really (ok so probably wont spend more than 4k, but could if it was the right bike), but would need to be able to test ride if I’m slashing that kind of money.

Can my requirements be met without too much compromise? Do they still make all mountain bikes?

chakaping
    Free Member

Sounds like you’d love a mid-travel 29er.

Something like 130mm rear with a 150mm fork, which pedals well.

There was another fella asking about such bikes the other day, that thread may be useful…

Other than Flaremax…

How do you feel about Oranges? Some great deals about on the outgoing models.

roverpig

If you loved the Trance why not just stick with it? The newer models may look a bit different on paper, but in practice they probably go up and down mountains better than your 2014 model and you know that you like the suspension platform. Some decent deals on last years models too e.g.

https://www.paulscycles.co.uk/2105/products/giant-trance-29er-2-full-suspension-mountain-bike-2019-blue.aspx?currency=GBP&chosenAttribute=90132415&istCompanyId=505701c8-6037-4e2d-b475-92f8405328d3&istFeedId=a3ae2ba7-074e-49e9-a06d-6f852075e3a8&istItemId=ixlwwirma&istBid=t&gclid=Cj0KCQiAs67yBRC7ARIsAF49CdXGXBH_Rc7dIOihpKluNBAMgFSd17epai2bFSCgiFBylOcGnTjTvVMaAhM6EALw_wcB

devash
    Free Member

There’s not that much difference between what you have and the 2020 27.5 Trance i.e. good climber with solid components. Why not just get another one?

townydc
    Free Member

Hi, I had a 2014 Trance 27.5 2, very identical service life, out twice a week on it, all seasons, 4 tours of Wales and 1 tour of The Lakes, decided last year to replace it with……… another Trance.
    This time spent a bit more than last time but got a great deal on an ex demo 2019 Trance 1.
    Trance 27.5 2 was a good bike for me, no major part failures just wear and tear, so much i sold it to a work colleague who’s more than chuffed with it.
    This persuaded me to press the button on another ( i did look at other brands, for a little bit) with no regrets whatsoever.

kiksy
    Free Member

Had a 2014 Trance, liked it.

I’ve ridden the new 29er Trance, geo is better and it pedals really well with those big wheels.

Scott Spark is similar to the Trance , but a little more playful.

Not ridden one but a Ripmo AF can be had for £3100, that would be top of my test list.

Nick

There’s a lot of sense in sticking with what you know I guess!

The Ripmo AF is pretty reasonable value for a brand such as Ibis, but is way more bike than I need, had an Orange 5 back in 2004, seem a bit pricey but outgoing models are better value.

Testing a FlareMax in Cannock in March, which I’m looking forwards to.

joebristol

Flaremax sounds good – plus the new version of the Trance. Is it worth looking at the Sonder Cortex as well – I think that’s a 29er trail sort of bike without being really long or slack. Also should get a good value spec from them I’d think.

sv

Had a 2014 Trance SX, liked it but replaced it with a Bird Aeris and found it much more capable. Still climbs as well but much more confident on the downs.

Nick

I tried the new Bird Aether the other day, nice bike but think an Aeris might be a better fit for my riding, and even better value…

sv

A friend has a mk3 type and the figures vs the Aether are very similar (apart from travel!).

StirlingCrispin

I replaced my 2015 Trance (stolen by my son) with a 29er Trance. No regrets.

onewheelgood

Jeffsy would be a good fit for your type of riding. Probably the 29er.

MadBillMcMad

Orbea oiz in TR guise, 120mm travel.

Nick

Been looking at the Occam, think the Oiz is a bit too race for me, lovely bike though

jackal
    Free Member

I’ve just started a thread asking about the 2020 Occam.
    I’m coming from the other end of the scale to you though. I’m hoping the Occam is ‘enduro’ (I use this term very tongue in cheek, I’ve been riding long enough to not need to call my bike an ‘enduro’ bike) enough for me.
    Don’t let the slack thing put you off, a slack (well, what was slack a few years ago, ie. 66 degrees) ha bike will still climb well assuming other factors are just as modern.
    How about the new 29 trance? J.e.james have a 2019 one in, carbon/advanced, carbon wheels, 3.3k ish or there abouts. Seems good value to me that. Not too slack or long and ‘only’ 115mm rear wheel travel….

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)

The topic ‘Replacing a 2014 Giant Trance, harder than I thought..’ is closed to new replies.