Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Replacement exhaust affecting fuel economy?
  • molgrips
    Free Member

Ever since we had the exhaust replaced (by Kwik Fit, so not a premium part) the fuel economy seemed.down by 5-8% or so. But we never did a long trip so it was difficult to get a good view of it. But now we’re on a long trip and we’re struggling to hit 50mpg which is abysmal for this car. Having driven 125k miles in it over the last 13 years we’re pretty confident what to expect. Of course it could be a number of things, but it did seem that the exhaust affected things. It’s definitely noisier at low revs.

Anyone else seen this?

stumpy01

Banana in your tail pipe?

Sorry, nothing useful to add…..how much exhaust was replaced? The whole kit & kaboodle or just the back box?

ian-r

I had an exhaust fitted and it really affected the power. So much so the car did about 60 flat out. Turned out the hole into the silencer was partially blocked as it had not been punched out properly during manufacturing.
    I had to argue with KwikFit that there was a problem until I took the manager out for a drive and they replaced the system.
    Worth going back to them and having a chat.

molgrips
    Free Member

Yeah I will call Kwik fit. I once went back after an exhaust saying it was slightly noisier than I expected and they ripped the whole lot out and replaced it with a different make for free.

This was a few months ago but I think it’s a fairly long guarantee.

Trekster

Nothing new there. I’m an ex mech from back in the ‘70s and it was the same then!!!! Noises, rattles due to poor fit/shape, poor fuel consumption etc.
    Took my auld man 3 goes before finally fitting original equipmentvon his Fiesta at not much extra cost, probably saving money due to them lasting longer.
    There used to be a huge difference in quality….

andyl
    Free Member

It’s probably something cheap like a Klarius. Amazing how they can design those to just last for the 2 year warranty and then they fall apart.

Take a look at the bends and you will probably see the cross section narrows unlike an OEM exhaust and in my experience the boxes are also smaller.

Going to have your work cut out for you but I wouldnt be surprised if a cheap exhaust did make a lot of difference to power and/or economy.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

The topic ‘Replacement exhaust affecting fuel economy?’ is closed to new replies.