Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)
  • Replacement Eagle Cassette
  • jayx2a
    Free Member

My Eagle Cassette is getting a bit worn and probably could do with a replacement.

Is there any benefit of upgrading to an XX1 cassette or just getting a GX one again?

Seen one that has X-dome what ever that is?!

What version would I need for a straight swap on to my wheels (Bontrager line 30).

SirHC

GX is pinned and the steel not as hard, so likely it won’t last as long.

I’ve tried an 1175 cassette and X01 11 speed cassettes, 1500miles from 1175, x01 was 4500miles, twice the price and 1/3 more mileage. Bit lighter as well.

jayx2a
    Free Member

Thanks for the info. Was looking at this one…

https://www.bike24.com/p2171991.html

Guess I need to make sure my current set up is using the XD driver, which I presume it is already being an Eagle.

Also, will this will work all ok with my GX rear mech which is pretty new itself.

Onzadog
    Free Member

I like the Garbaruk from Gone Biking Mad. The advantage is that the alu top cog can be replaced when it wears and the rest of the cassette is okay.

tomhoward

If you are running GX now, you will have an XD driver. All eagle stuff is compatible with other eagle stuff, regardless of where it sits on the range.

fitnessischeating
    Free Member

Its one of the pain points for me with eagle….

The people of internet land* say that x01 is a fair bit better than gx…

But its such a jump in price, ~150 for gx cassette and chain, >300 for X01

same as the rear mech, Ive broken 2, people say the x01 is more robust, but at ~80 against ~160 its potentially an expensive experiment…

Me, Im tempted to replace the cassette and chain with XT (or SLX) when the time comes

timbog160

It will be XD. IME you will notice the difference but only you can say if it’s worth it! There is a bit of a knack to it if you’ve not changed one before. Watch some vids and make sure your cassette tool has a sufficiently deep recess to avoid breaking the splines..

gravesendgrunt
    Free Member

Easiest way to tell what you have is to count the teeth on smallest cog of your current cassette-10t=XD driver and 11t=shimano(only NX cassette) .

I’ve always gone for the cheapest XD Driver ones(GX level) as they are the freehubs I have. They have been great and lasted me very well .

brownsauce
    Free Member

Strewth , Im amazed at what folk pay for consumable drive-train parts these days with the latest gear set-ups , makes me glad im still using 9 speed stuff where descent cassettes & chains can be had for £20 a piece..

SirHC

same as the rear mech, Ive broken 2, people say the x01 is more robust, but at ~80 against ~160 its potentially an expensive experiment…

Eagle shifter, block and chain, XTR M9100 mech.

Will likely transition to full XT/XTR as my sram stuff wears out. Have a pair of X01 cranks where the bearing race on the axle has worn, so the cranks rock in the BB. Had them since 2014, so they’ve not done badly!

https://www.instagram.com/p/B6Bh_fFHRN-/?utm_source=ig_web_copy_link

jayx2a
    Free Member

Is the x-dome tech just part of the tech? I definitely have an XD driver then.

Will see what cheapest price I can get the XX1 for and decide from there!

SirHC

Strewth , Im amazed at what folk pay for consumable drive-train parts these days with the latest gear set-ups , makes me glad im still using 9 speed stuff where cassettes & chains can be had for £20 a piece

26″ wheels, v brakes and a hite-rite?

SirHC

Is the x-dome tech just part of the tech? I definitely have an XD driver then.

X-Dome is just marketing tripe.

honourablegeorge

tomhoward

All eagle stuff is compatible with other eagle stuff, regardless of where it sits on the range.

Not the case – the NX/SX cassette is 11-52, and fits a standard freehub, not an XD

tomhoward

XD freehubs aren’t badged as Eagle specific 😉

With Eagle, anything badged NX and SX will work with anything badged GX, XO1 or XX1. Same with 11s too, but not between 11 and 12s

strike
    Free Member

“X-Dome is just marketing tripe.”

No, X-Dome is not marketing tripe – it is the tech classification for those cassettes machined from a single block of steel (which the exception of the largest cog).

jayx2a
    Free Member

Sorry for my utter ignorance, but will this model work? Seen some on ebay so just wanted to check first!!

XG-1295 Eagle™ Cassette

https://www.sram.com/en/sram/models/cs-xg-1295-a2

strike
    Free Member

Yes that will fit.

pampmyride
    Free Member

“Strewth , Im amazed at what folk pay for consumable drive-train parts these days” So am I. Just got 11 speed + 50T chain set for £75… Best Chinese quality of course. Previous Sunrace cassette still just about going after 3,600 miles of peaslake grit!

jayx2a
    Free Member

To be honest my GX Eagle rear mech lasted 2 years. The rear cassette is a month older and I’m still on the original chain and it’s been used all year round in all UK conditions.

It’s really caused me no issues and only been indexed once, so have no problems spending a decent sum on a replacement.

So ordered the X01 Cassette and Chain from Bike Discount and it’s on it’s way from Germany right now!

Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)

The topic ‘Replacement Eagle Cassette’ is closed to new replies.