Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Repairing minor rust on vehicle
  • nickdavies

So STW, have been doing some sorting out jobs on the t5 and one of the little jobs I keep forgetting to sort out is a patch of rust in the corner of the door sill, where the door corner catches it.

I think I may have left it a bit late. Sanded off all the surface rust and left with a bigger patch of metal than I hoped… is this beyond a touch up kit? It’s probably a bit less than 5p sized. Doesn’t need to be that pretty, just so I can stop the spread.or are we into a body shop job now.

Rust

timbog160

You can do it with a touch up kit, at the end of the day you just need to stop the bare metal being exposed. But I’d be tempted to go to a body shop – a tiny job like that won’t cost much at all…

Vader
    Free Member

Check the bottom of the door too, I had similar and I hadn’t spotted the rust on the bottom of the door

johnnystorm

Have you fitted the extra door seals as per the Caravelle? I’ve just fitted a set, as well as being quieter theres no clank/clunk when the doors shut now. Might prevent this happening again.

nickdavies

Yeah its on the bottom of the door too, but thats just the tip, and ill just slap some paint over it. The bottom bit is more obvious.
    And yes, the embarrassing bit here is i fitted the caravelle seals last year to stop it, then promptly forgot to sort the little bit of rust. 🙈 live and learn.

I shall have a go myself i think. Theres a little but of brown still in the few pits, can i just put the rust stuff over it or should i go a bit deeper first? Hesitant to keep going and go too far…

kayak23

I used this from Toolstation.

Then I used this, from Toolstation

My rust was horrendous though and involved lots of welding. Don’t let that happen! 😳

fossy

The aquasteel is really good. It’s designed for marine environments, so great on cars. Treated the suspension components on both our cars

nickdavies

Well i chickened out, decided it was too much to touch in. Couple more spots on the sill so its all being painted. Will prompt me to touch in all the other chips on the bonnet and a pillars.

joefm

Have you asked the body shop to do anything specific for the rust? Simply painting it over will result in the rust reappearing as I’ve found out to my cost.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

The topic ‘Repairing minor rust on vehicle’ is closed to new replies.