Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Renting rooms to mtbers, what do I need to know?
  • therag
    Free Member

Hi guys, after a bit of advice.
    I’m thinking of buying an old but renovated cottage situated near a trail centre with the intention of renting rooms to mountain bikers on a self catering basis. There will be a double en suite room, 2 rooms with 2 bunk beds in each and a single room with shared use of the kitchen, lounge, bathrooms, secured shed, bike wash & drying room. I won’t be living there, just using it as a business.
    I’ve stayed in dozens of b&bs which haven’t met any kind of regs but I will be doing things properly.
    So my questions-
    Do I need any kind of licence?
    Do I need to meet any building regs for renting?
    I’d prob be fitting lockable fire doors to bedrooms, smoke alarms and extinguishers.
    So what have I overseen?
    Thanks in advance

honourablegeorge

They love white carpets. Especially in hallways.

tymbian
    Free Member

Secure bike storage is a must.

sc-xc

And near a pub/takeaway/shop…

But mainly pub.

therag
    Free Member

2″ deep, white wool carpet it will not have! 🙂
    It has a good size utility room which I’d like to rip out to use as bike storage in the house, plus build an overflow shed to store extra bikes & a work stand.

stimpy
    Free Member

Depending upon where it is and the history of the building you may need planning permission for a change of use from private residential dwelling house to use as a guest house/B&B.

andyl
    Free Member

no matter how secure you think the shed is improve it, add CCTV and either get good insurance or put up an iron clad disclaimer that bikes are put their at the owners risk.

Don’t forget the obligatory wood burner and wood stack 😀

Might be best to speak to the local council about regs and planning etc and also maybe the local tourist board for support and advice.

therag
    Free Member

There’s a pub under 1 min walk, a restaurant & fast food 2 min drive & the trails are a 2 mile forest ride away or 10 min drive, so pretty good location.
    No log burner, yet.
    The secure bike storage can also be blocked in by customers cars/vans.

The change of use to property is thing I’m concerned about

jms
    Free Member

As others have already said, best to check with the local authority – both building control and planning. The more details you can provide the better. In particular, planning can vary considerably from one authority to the next.

therag
    Free Member

Thanks, all. Ill get in touch with the local council next week.

rOcKeTdOg

sounds ace, which trail centre and where do i book?

therag
    Free Member

If all goes well, ill let you know when & where. Busy times

stimpy
    Free Member

therag whereabouts is the property in question – England, Wales, Scotland?

Drop me a line for a chat about it if you want – contact details can be found here

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

The topic ‘Renting rooms to mtbers, what do I need to know?’ is closed to new replies.