Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Renovating / Repainting XTR M9000 Cranks
  • continuity
    Free Member

Has anyone done this?

Got a super cheap pair of these on eBay but the heel rub area is pretty worn away. Has anyone had any luck respraying / re-decalling? I’d happily cover with heli tape once sprayed?

lesgrandepotato

What for? Mine are just starting to wear in. Looks like they have actually been used 🙂

continuity
    Free Member

Some people like nice things, I guess?

uselesshippy
    Free Member

I went the other way, and polished them up. the inside, and the spider were left black, because it looks good. (Nothing to do with I couldn’t be bothered)

jabbi
    Free Member

I have a set that I’ve polished, pic here , as above, wet and dry of varying grades, a dremel for the fiddly bits, some Peek polish and about 4 hours. Not sure it’ll stay good for long without regular polishing though.

P-Jay
    Free Member

I’m sure you can get decals that cover the whole face of the arm. Certainly XT ones anyway.

continuity
    Free Member

I like the partial sand.

Which grades of wet+dry did you use?

Poopscoop

I polished some LX cranks back in the 90’s, all by hand. Was a pain in the arse but looked good. I was well chuffed.Lol

I used paint remover then worked down through the grades of wet and dry paper to autosol.

Would be far quicker with a dremel or such!

Will need to be kept polished or spray over with a clear lacquer. Then helitape to stop your handiwork being ruined.

fossy

I’ve also polished up Shimano 600 cranks due to wear. They are still in use on my Ribble (20 years later) and just need an occasional treatment with any good car polish.

Hob-Nob
    Free Member

I don’t know what finish the M9000’s come with, it’s not a paint/powdercoat like other Shimano cranks.

Try spraying with oven cleaner & see what happens? If you can get the coating off they are easy enough to polish up with a bit of wet&dry & Autosol.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

The topic ‘Renovating / Repainting XTR M9000 Cranks’ is closed to new replies.