Home Forums Chat Forum Removing suncream handprints from car paintwork

• This topic has 22 replies, 19 voices, and was last updated 8 years ago by sgn23.
Viewing 23 posts - 1 through 23 (of 23 total)
  • Removing suncream handprints from car paintwork
  • sgn23
    Free Member

Any suggestions for how to remove handprints caused by suncream from a car’s paintwork? The stuff is very hard to remove and I’ve got kids prints all over my doors.

Daffy

Citrus degreaser.

MoreCashThanDash

You’re not in the UK, are you?

sgn23
    Free Member

Yes I’m in the UK! They’ve been on there since last summer and I’ve finally decided to do something about it!
    I’m not sure about degreaser, I’m worried it’ll strip any protective layers off the paint.

scaredypants

wax

scaredypants

… and then polish the car 😉

chambord

I’ve got this too on my car which has silver paint. Cleaning, waxing, basically everything I tried does nothing.

I’ll give degreaser a go.

Xylene
    Free Member

Nitromors is very good at getting sunscreen off car paint

cloudnine
    Free Member

Something like tardis solvent cleaner.
    Or maybe a Clay bar kit..

Head over to detailingworld forum..

TheDTs
    Free Member

Have tried most things. The paint surface will have been damaged. Degreased with maths and polished as much as I could By hand and made no difference. Ours is a company lease car so not that worried but will be more careful with the next one…

FunkyDunc
    Free Member

GT85?

bensales
    Free Member

It etches into the clear coat. Hand polishing first may do it, but likely it’ll need machine polishing. Just be careful not to strike through the clear coat to the base, otherwise it’ll be even more buggered.

thegreatape
    Free Member

I’ve got this too on my car which has silver paint. Cleaning, waxing, basically everything I tried does nothing.

This is the main reason my silver car got replaced why a white car.

parkesie
    Free Member

Had them on my car 3 yrs they dissapear as the car gets dirty. Can only see them if i clean it.

mitsumonkey
    Free Member

GT85?

I was going to suggest WD40

gofasterstripes
    Free Member

If the surface feels rough, you’re too late – the lacquer is damaged.

If it bothers you, try ChipsAway, they do spot repairs.

bearnecessities

I never even knew this was a thing.

(BTW GFS, just using the extra blades you bought for my jigsaw, thanks 🙂 )

gofasterstripes
    Free Member

The least I could do. Veel succes!

larryduff

I have had success with Autoglym Super Resin Polish.

Rubber-Duck

I have had the same problem and found T Cut removed them reasonably successfully.

garage-dweller

We’ve had success with autoglym paint restorer. It’s one step beyond what larryduff suggested in the autoglym polishing range.

vintagewino
    Free Member

I wish (now) I had been able to keep the front left panel of my last car. Handprints all over it from my son and his cousin in the summer of 2006 when they were both not much more than a year old. Never could get rid of the damn things… now I wish I had them!

sgn23
    Free Member

Citrus degreaser was the answer! Applied it neat to a sponge and worked it into the print with circular motions. Left it for 5 mins, then washed off. Repeated this about four times and they were gone. Took about half an hour per print. Applied some wax over the area and a week later there’s no ill effects on the paintwork. The car was ten years old mind you. Not sure if I’d try this on my white Audi 😉
    Top marks to ^^^ daffy.

Viewing 23 posts - 1 through 23 (of 23 total)

The topic ‘Removing suncream handprints from car paintwork’ is closed to new replies.