Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Removing pedals
  • atlaz
    Free Member

The last part of my ss build is the pedals. I got some cheap eggbeaters from Evans but there’s one problem; the old pedals aren’t shifting. I cable tied the crank to the frame and pretty much swung on the pedal wrench but it’s not budged. Any tips or should I just run it to the lbs (they did me proud on the freewheel).

MartinGT
    Free Member

Sprayed it woth GT85 or similar? If not try heating it up with a hot air gun. OR

LBS

Jimbo
    Free Member

Assuming you’re turning it the right way (easy mistake to make!), spray it with PlusGas until you’re dizzy from the vapours. Then, just as you think your lungs, head and bloodstream can’t take any more, spray some more PlusGas for good measure. Leave for 20ish minutes, then try again. GT85 and WD40 are poor releasing agents.

StuF

the way I do it is:
    drive side crank arm parallel to the downtube pointing up towards the head tube, put the spanner on the pedal so that its pointing back toward the backwheel/bottom bracket and the get on the bike as if to cycle off and put your right heel on the spanner and stand on it (don’t forget to have your brakes on)- this way I know I’m trying to turn it the correct way.

then repeat with the left pedal, point the crank arm towards the head tube, spanner on pointing towards back wheel and then stand on spanner with your left heel

that wasn’t meant to be teaching you to suck eggs if you know what you’re doing 😀

theflatboy
    Free Member

failing that, a nice long pedal spanner with a pipe extension on for even more leverage if necessary, then a StuF stand on until it yields.

StuF

plenty of torque available here…..

ransos
    Free Member

Where can you buy plusgas? My pedal is proper stuck – the pedal spanner won’t work even using my foot, and I snapped the allen key when I tried it with an extension.

atlaz
    Free Member

Well I got them off but… I’ve stripped the thread on the crank arm so perhaps in retrospect, there is such a thing as too much pressure 🙂

Brother_Will
    Free Member

You can get plus gas from halfords in the auto lubes etc section careful which one you pick up though as its not unusual for the staff from the bike department to take some use it on a bike then put it back. At least it was when i was there lol.

aphex_2k
    Free Member

atlaz – Member

Well I got them off but… I’ve stripped the thread on the crank arm so perhaps in retrospect, there is such a thing as too much pressure [:)]

Were you going the wrong way, or were they that jammed in? (Serious question, not p taking) 🙂

Drac

Well I got them off but… I’ve stripped the thread on the crank arm so perhaps in retrospect, there is such a thing as too much pressure

Or turning the wrong way.

atlaz
    Free Member

Definitely the right way. I just think that the 20 year old cranks might have got a bit attached to the equally aged pedals over the years.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

The topic ‘Removing pedals’ is closed to new replies.