• This topic has 30 replies, 17 voices, and was last updated 15 years ago by will.
Viewing 31 posts - 1 through 31 (of 31 total)
  • New car…Citroen
  • will
    Free Member

Well after a recent thread a couple of weeks ago about “which fast little car should i buy” I have done a lot of research, still no test drives yet, as i’m too busy.

I came across the Citroen Saxo VTR… Now i have never been a huge fan. But for the price they are, there a bloody steel!

£1500 would get you a low millage 02 plate motor 😯 That’s 1.6 16V also, and cheap insurance, as i’m on budget this may be a good idea.

Any STW thoughts and inputs welcome.

Can i also point out that it will be standard, like this:

Not like this 🙄

I_Ache
    Free Member

Have a look at the 106 GTI same chassis and engine but it looks better and there arnt as many around. No idea about the price or the insurance tho.

will
    Free Member

I did, they are alot more to buy, insure etc…shame, because i love them. Also want a 106 Rallye, but finding one is proving hard 🙄

sv

Yes go for a 106 GTI or S2 Rallye, friends of mine had VTSs’ and driven hard they don’t perform well. The rear end seems to dislike landing straight after jumps and hard cornering, one of the guys rolled his. There are differences between the VTR/S and the S2/GTI.

specialone
    Free Member

Will it will only be an 8v if it is a VTR, 16v are VTS, great little car though, i used to work for citroen & had about 8 of them as company cars & loved evry one of them, like driving a go kart, just dont get one that the suspension has been messed with as it spoils the ride

molgrips
    Free Member

I drove a Saxo once, it was a nightmare. The pedals were too close together and over to one side, which was awful – every minute of every mile I was cursing it for that reason. Had a terrible back by the end of it.

will
    Free Member

Ooooo 16V VTS, that sounds good

*goes off to Autotrader*

Thanks guys 🙂

steveh

106 gti is equal to a saxo vts not the vtr which has 100 not 120bhp. Initially it was a 1.6 8v with 90bhp which changed around 02 from memory to the same 1.6 16v as the vts/gti but with a different map giving 100bhp.

Good rallyes are very hard to find but great cars (I had an S1 a few years ago) but the 106 xsi is a passable alternative (bit the like the vtr to the gti /vts).

Just don’t crash them as they do very badly in NCAP type tests.

Dang too slow 🙂

I_Ache
    Free Member

The Rallye is only a 1.4 isnt it but with about 100hp nice little car. I fancied a 306 Rallye same engine as the GTI6 but stripped out with thin carpets no air con etc.

steveh

S1 rallye are 1.3 with 100bhp. s2 rallye are 1.6 with 100bhp ish.
    xsi are 1.4 also 100bhp

MoreCashThanDash

French cars – electrics

Your money, mind.

sharki
    Free Member

never got on with them, pedals too close together, for my big work boots.

will
    Free Member

Think a Saxo VTS needs to go on the “To test Drive” List.

Group 14 insurance for the VTS mind.

LordSummerisle
    Free Member

great little cars.

boblo
    Free Member

sv – Member <snip> The rear end seems to dislike landing straight after jumps and hard cornering, one of the guys rolled his.<snip>

I feel like a right old giffer… Please don’t do this on the public road, I might be going the other way.

STW, now twinned with Max Power. Tsssk.

sofatester
    Free Member

100BHP? WOW!

kona_uk
    Free Member

I have been looking at peugeot’s, but a mate of mine who is a mechanic has advised against them because of the electrics.

He looks at 1 or 2 every week and its nearly always electrical faults…so its kinda put me off peugeots…

will
    Free Member

sofatester – Member
    100BHP? WOW!

120bhp in the 16v version.

0-60 in 7.8 seconds, respectable i say!

I suspect the jumping referance was hopefully made about a rally stage…

I_Ache
    Free Member

Oh one more useful thing to know about Saxos is that they use torsion bar rear suspension and can give great lift off oversteer.

MoreCashThanDash

I’d forgotten the lack of foot room….

will
    Free Member

I know Peugeot Elecs are considered bad, Citroen’s as bad?

sv

I arrived at the ‘scene’ shortly after the crash – the full works ambulance/fire brigade/police! Nobody hurt apart from some fencing and a sorry looking VTS. They are farmer boys so the jumping/landing thing related to small twisty roads near their farm – sort of rallying in a way!

Dont agree with the speed these guys travel at but then again I’m not Traffic Branch either.

hora
    Free Member

Arent they lethal in a crash? i.e. peel like coke cans?

ski
    Free Member

Will, how old are you?

Is this going to be a 1st car?

Myself, I think I would go for something with a bit more weight/metal to them, just in case.

Not much protection in them if things do go wrong, that’s why you get such performance out of 120bhp, there’s nothing to them.

LordSummerisle
    Free Member

100BHP? WOW!

but in a car that weights about the same as a Lotus Elise…

the citroen is lighter than the pug equivalent.

both the 106s and the AX/Saxos are about equal when campaigned at Speed Hillclimbs and sprints. and very popular cars.

my missus had an AX which did about 100k miles over 8 years, inc warrington to bangor and warrington to London each weekend for 5 years.
    the only trouble she had in that time was an altinator went at about 40,000miles. other than that. no trouble.

mrsflash
    Free Member

Agree re the pedals. Many moons ago I had a 106 xsi which I loved, suited me fine as I have small feet, but GF really struggled driving it as the pedals were too close together.

It was a completely unreliable piece of sh1t mind. Great fun to drive though.

will
    Free Member

ski – Member
    Will, how old are you?

Is this going to be a 1st car?

Myself, I think I would go for something with a bit more weight/metal to them, just in case.

Not much protection in them if things do go wrong, that’s why you get such performance out of 120bhp, there’s nothing to them.

No not first car 😆 insurance would hurt me then. I’m 20 had 3 cars but all of which have been A to B cars, as in there not exciting (Old corsa, New corsa, Focus Diesel)

Got my year out of uni in June, so i’ll need a car again to travel to/from and whilst at work.

I guess i hadn’t really considered the lack of protection when in a crash…I’m a safe driver i would say 3yrs driving, no crashes/bumps/speeding fines etc… but in a little car such as that Saxo, i’m sure i’ll get a heavy foot now and again 🙄

Thanks guys, any more input would be cool!

Sounds like Saxos are amazing fun to drive, but not “that” reliable…Hmmmm

NWAlpsJeyerakaBoz
    Free Member

Have i logged onto ChavTrackWorld by mistake?

😉

will
    Free Member

NW Alps Jeyer aka Boz – Member
    Have i logged onto ChavTrackWorld by mistake?

I’m surprised it took this long 😆 🙄

Zedsdead
    Free Member

Definitely try before you buy.

I hated the pedal layout. As a young persons nippy car it’s okay. They’re not mega fast but they’re more than fast enough for someone with not much experience.

They don’t do well in an accident or a crash but I’m assuming you’ll be doing your best not to do either.

Just make sure you try one before you buy. And avoid anything wich has been modified.

will
    Free Member

Thanks Zedsdead. I most certainly will be trying a whole host of cars before i decide. Anything that has been modded instantly gets ignored 😆

Viewing 31 posts - 1 through 31 (of 31 total)

The topic ‘New car…Citroen’ is closed to new replies.