Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Removing a very stubborn crown race..
  • rockthreegozy
    Free Member

Steel fork and steel race. No notch, seemingly no gap between race and fork either. Tried butter knife, stanley blade and numerous screwdriver. Will the proper tool fare better?

Its a Pinnacle from 2016 I believe (Lithium), are all races removable?

nixie

Got a Dremel? Grind a gap in it. Bonus of being much easier to get on and off in the future.

bukobuko
    Free Member

nixie, thats a decent idea unless its an expensive set of forks. Ive used a specific tool for this job

http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/x-tools-pro-crown-race-remover-tool/rp-prod55939

AndrewDeKerf
    Free Member

Heating it with a hairdryer can sometimes help. Do you know if it has been helped to stay on with Loctite at any point? If so, some warmth might do the trick.

Also some LBS carry the enormous Park tool that has never failed me yet. It does tend to like taking paint off crowns a bit though.

tjagain

Heat and hammer in a Stanley knife blade

ransos
    Free Member

Hammering in a Stanley blade worked for me. That was a Pinnacle lithium too…

scaredypants

Nice sharp chisel has never failed me.  All gets a bit nervous when it’s a tough one but always OK in the end

flyingmonkeycorps

I’ve used a tool like that X-Tools one (think mine was Superstar) a few times on stubborn ones, it works great for getting it moving.

Bez

Bonus of being much easier to get on and off in the future.

Yeah, it’s a bit impertinent if it’s a shop-bought bike but I always cut my crown races before fitting them; makes life so much easier 🙂

If it’s one which really won’t budge without risking damaging the fork then I’d just take it to a decent shop. If my experience with Pinnacle frames is anything to go by, I wouldn’t be surprised if it’s a bit of a challenge… 😉

nwmlarge
    Free Member

I love that all of the more modern headests I have bought now have split crown races.

Such a good idea.

rockthreegozy
    Free Member

In the end heat didn’t work, but the dremel eventually thinned it down enough to split vertically. I always cut a slot in races before fitting and this just confirms that’s the way to go!

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

The topic ‘Removing a very stubborn crown race..’ is closed to new replies.