Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)
  • Removable chinbar helmets not allowed?
  • tjaard

In Hannah’s review of the POC full face, as well as in the full face and glasses thread, it was mentioned that there were places that don’t allow removable chinbar helmets.

Is that actually correct, or is it that they need to be DH certified in full face mode?

The latter I could sort of see, but the former?

First of all, it doesn’t make sense to me:
    Either the helmet and chinbar pass the test or they do not. How they are constructed doesn’t matter for that.

Second, it’s a pretty big problem for someone like me (my only helmet is a Bell Super DH, which I happily use at bike parks all the time). After all, it’s not like another good helmet is cheap, or easy to store and travel with.

Plus, if this practice spreads, more and more people will avoid buying the convertible helmets, and guess what, then brands will stop making them.

dc1988

I don’t know but I also have a super DH. I prefer it to a DH helmet as it has the cradle that means it fits far more securely than any DH helmet I’ve tried.

steveh

We don’t allow them at the DH race I run, only one is fully certified I believe and it’s not practical to check exactly who’s wearing what and which certification it has when 300 people are racing in a limited time. So we have a simple one piece helmets only rule.

grahamt1980

Not seen a bike park that bans them. I thought it was only in dh races where there was an issue.
    As for not selling them have seen a fair few ebikers using that sort of helmet for their assisted uplifts

andrewh
    Free Member

Only place I’ve seen them not permitted was at the Mega.
    But I don’t often go to the kind of places where they are required, that was my first foray into DH so I got a single piece one

Not really answering the question, but….

I’ve got a Bell Super DH and rarely us it as a half shell and full face on the same ride. I used to have a Super 2R (far less protection) and mixed that up loads on rides. The Super DH is a bit more of a faff to bolt the chin bar on, so I tend to either just use it as a half shell or FF. I’ve now got a Fox Speedframe Pro, so guessing the chin bar will just stay on the Bell – I’ll buy a well vented proper FF next time I think

intheborders
    Free Member

it was mentioned that there were places that don’t allow removable chinbar helmets.

DH Races?

Seems sensible.

alan1977
    Free Member

still not seeing the point in removable chin bar helmets, unoless you want to wear the same helmet for some sort of XC ride or something.. my DH certified endura FF is fine to wear pedalling everywhere anyway

seriousrikk

40 mile XC ride with a few gnarly sections just after lunch?
    Excellent, just pop the extra pads and helmet chin bar on, ride those and once we are heading home remove them again.

loum
    Free Member

BMX races are one piece too.

poah
    Free Member

odd given that somee “DH” helmets are not certified for their chin bar.

dc1988

I don’t often use my Super DH as a half shell and full face in the same ride but I can use the same comfortable and well fitting helmet for xc, trail and DH.

A lap of Cannock chase with a quick stop at Stile Cop could be a good reason to use with and without chin bar.

I personally think an outright ban is silly, you could be wearing a non certified, poorly fitting full face that will do very little in a crash.

tjaard

We don’t allow them at the DH race I run, only one is fully certified I believe and it’s not practical to check exactly who’s wearing what and which certification it has when 300 people are racing in a limited time. So we have a simple one piece helmets only rule.

First off, thanks for organizing an event.
    And what you are saying certainly makes sense, as far as the need for simplicity.
    Is it truly the case that you would be required to verify this? Wouldn’t it be sufficient to say: ‘X-certified helmet required’ on the waiver/registration?
    After all, I assume you are not verifying the certification or other aspects of the helmets worn?

tjaard

As to the questions of why one would want a convertible helmet:
    Like DC1988 I like that I have a half shell, a full face and on rare rides, the option to convert mid ride.
    It saves me the money of buying 2 helmet. Given the price of high end helmets, that’s not nothing, especially for the more casual rider. If you are racing top level events, you can dial in your kit just for that.
    But for me? Couple of bike park days a year, few club enduro races, and one club DH race.

It also saves me storage space, and especially, travel lugage space.
    Going on a 4 week trip, with 3 days of XC riding and a day or two at a bike park? Sure is nice not to have to pack a bulky full face AND half shell helmet in my lugage.

There is one local trail system where I regularly use the detachable chinbar:
    The trails from the trailhead out are regular, rolling XC: up and done, not to scary.
    But, in the middle is a rock outcropping with some serious black and double black Diamond trails descending off it.
    It’s nice to start in open face mode, and once I get to the top of the rock, ride some of the gnarly trails in full face mode. Then, for the remaining loop of XC trail, it’s back in half shell mode.

Don’t take this as that I am against the fixed chinbar, enduro style full face helmets, those are great too, it’s nice to be able choose for yourself.

aide

I also have a Bell DH, (had the super 2 before it). I bought it as its downhill certified, mostly just use the chin bar on uplift days and the like. Half shell the rest of the time. I do like the fact that I have the choice in 1. However, as Steveh says above I could imagine it would be a nightmare to check every riders helmet (f’narr) in a race

Northwind

tjaard

Is that actually correct, or is it that they need to be DH certified in full face mode?

Thing is, many dh helmets arent dh certified, it’s a standard that’s not really gained full aceptance (tbf, it’s not the best standard, they fudged it to try and cover too many things and it’s a bit overspecific with the impact locations so sone well vented helmets cant pass)

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.