Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Reilly Gradient vs Enigma Escape
  • endoverend

Does anyone have experience of comparing the ride between these two?

Am thinking one of these will be a sensible move as at the moment I end up riding an Xc hardtail for mixed road/gravel in this supawet weather which am getting fed up with…my racey skinny tyred road bike ends up being useful for only a few months a year around here. Have been lusting after something like this for a while and will probably end up being my most used bike. I would go for a simple GRX 1X build.

Not mad keen on another carbon bike, though that Colnago G3X is very tempting – had a Ti hardtail before and loved it but wheels became too small. Robust weatherproof buttery comfort are my main aims.

I will have to buy unseen as from other end of country, from what I can workout they’re very similar, Reilly a touch more affordable with lower stack height being a fit difference- Enigma a touch more classic looking, maybe neater finish? Hydroformed tubing on the Reilly I believe….both far eastern made which doesn’t bother me as long as quality is there.

would likely buy in 700c and run biggest tyres possible as most use will be road ( Xc bike will be kept for proper XC)…the only thing is when it does get offroad round me it’s very rough so must have good offroad manners and comfort preferable to outride speed.

Anyone ridden both?

corroded
    Free Member

I’ve not ridden the Gradient but I have had a test ride on the Escape. I ruled out the Reilly because I’ve bought from Enigma before and they were great to deal with (Reilly seems to have a patchier customer service rep). The Escape does indeed have a pretty tall head tube. However, with a 0 degree stem and no spacers I can get the position I’m more used to and it probably looks better than a short head tube and a load of spacers. I compared the Escape to the Bokeh, which was too low in the stack for me. As for the rest of the ride, I found it extremely comfortable but lively too (like my Enigma ti road bike). Very stable (low, quite relaxed at the front, probably good when loaded up). Might be giving away a lb or two to a carbon gravel bike (like the Stigmata etc). I like the new mounts on the fork.

MoreCashThanDash

This is the thread I’m going to post when I’ve won the lottery 🤷‍♂️

endoverend

Or just borrow my Man Maths Calculator, which has some alternative and opportune settings. ie. cant really afford it either but not getting any younger….and if it lasts a decade or two, gets used a lot then there’s ‘value’ in that….and anyway it’s half the price of a mid-range Ebike with GX on it so this kind of bike is a ruddy bargain…

or if you have any cheaper suggestions…Fairlight Secan has my eye too, not sure about steel for wet conditions (new normal it seems?)…

dms01

I have 2 gradients – I bought a custom geometry frame, which my wife appropriated (shiny, purples and fits), I then replaced what was my’n with a stock frame (and coped with the spacers – I need a 185mm head tube to be comfortable).

I have been very pleased with the ride, and it works well round here in the lakes.

Unfortunately not ridden the Escape, but if I was buying from scratch I would make a trip and demo, also both companies will do some lovely anodising finish’s and I’m sure you will get a better more personal service, after all it’s one for life so…..?

View it as a weekend, or two away.

endoverend

Thanks for that….when you say ‘shiny, purples’ is one of yours an anodised finish? I’ve seen pics of these finishes and like the look of them, especially the rootbeer one they’ve done – was wondering though whether these anodised finishes are more prone to scratches or marking up.. I may put bags and stuff on it one day so the simple brushed finish may be the way forward-  also prefer the optics of a beadblasted finish vs brushed but maybe not so sensible for same reason…

Kryton57

My wife bought me an Enigma mtb frame for my 40th.  I’ve had no issues with it but even so the before and after care she/I was offered during the process was outstanding customer service.  I’m looking towards a suitable Enigma road bike for my 50th – I have no doubt about ordering from them.   Stunning bikes too.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

The topic ‘Reilly Gradient vs Enigma Escape’ is closed to new replies.