Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 106 total)
  • Redbull Hardline 2021
  • teenrat

I see the rider lineup has been announced. Not taking it away from those listed, but im a little disappointed.

Its supposedly the most extreme course ever but the rider list, to me, doesn’t reflect that with first timers and enduro riders listed. Disappointed that Bernard Kerr isn’t going to be there.

I wonder why they are all British riders? Is this the result of covid and travel? or has the lure of competing diminished for foreign riders?

weeksy

Is this the result of covid and travel?

I think this is more likely than riders simply getting bored.

teenrat

That was my thought, but covid and travel hasn’t stopped attendance of WC’s and crankworx. I wonder if the invites didn’t extend beyond British riders.

honourablegeorge

This is Brexit beginning to bite 🙂

razorrazoo

It’s only the first wave of riders announced, so expect international riders to be added next.  I listened to the Moving the Needle podcast last week with Ed Masters on it and he has opted out this year, not because he doesn’t like the event, but that it’s bang in the middle of the race season and he doesn’t want to nail himself.  I imagine this may be a similar story for those at the sharp end of the WC, also sponsors may not be wanting them to either depending on their focus.

Paul-B

It’s in the middle of the World Cup/EWS season too so a lot of riders are concentrating on that. Ed Masters for example was talking about it with Andrew Neethling on his post Les Gets podcast. I imagine characters like Bernard Kerr are thinking the same.

Paul-B

@Razorrazoo beat me to it lol

nickc

yeah, it’s normally once the season’s done and there’s still enough time to recover if you spanner yourself (high chance really)

razorrazoo

@paul-b fine taste in podcasts though!

Trimix
    Free Member

I went to see it a couple of years ago, they had invited a load of riders, I seem to recall about 11 turned up.

Out of those a few took one look and bailed out before practice. Then some broke themselves in practice and gave up. Then on the morning it was wet and a few more bailed out.

Basically its very hard/tough and if you are in the middle of a season for a team that’s paying you, it could be in your contract that you don’t go and do something daft.

In real life it looked significantly harder than the WCDH course I was at in France a few years back.

razorrazoo

It doesn’t need a roster of top 20 WC riders to make a good event either.   The current list is a pretty strong line up of UK riders that are prepared to send it big (the race is one thing, but the practice is well covered too so good rider/sponsor exposure).  Give some others a chance for some limelight.

Paul-B

@razorrazoo damn right, really enjoy his insights. Loads of inside knowledge and he’s also really articulate. Enjoyed the Nathan Rennie episode recently for example.

Anyway, as above, looks a pretty good line up. Must be a reason for not doing it in it’s usual slot around September after the race season is over

teenrat

my mistake then – i didnt realise that was just the first wave of riders.

I had thoughts of when i went in 2015 and only 8 riders were still standing come finals day.

tom13
    Free Member

Are you kidding? It’s a great line up. That there is some of the Uk’s best and most entertaining riding talent. I would like to see who else they could invite that would be more exciting to watch than the likes or Fairclough or Atwill for example. It will be a sight to behold.

ayjaydoubleyou

Lineup so far is people who could rather than should make it onto a world cup live feed – they’ll get far more TV time on hardline. The top guys, is it worth the risk midseason, considering the fickle nature of their employment/sponsors, probably not.

endomick
    Free Member

No spectators, that can’t be right, lockdown ends the week before the event.

weeksy

in Wales ?

honourablegeorge

endomick

No spectators, that can’t be right, lockdown ends the week before the event.

Probably a big risk to take to go through all the setup and logistics needed for spectators, given the date for ending lockdown could easily get pushed back

colp

To be fair, you only need Kade Edwards there to make it worth watching

chakaping
    Free Member

If it were just that lot it’d still be a really good event. Quite likely there’ll be more big names as well.

Odd not to see Kade and Bernard on that list of UK riders though. And why couldn’t Cannondale dig a DH bike out from somewhere and make Ratboy enter?

Copied from PB…

Charlie Hatton
    Kaos Seagrave
    Brendan Fairclough
    Adam Brayton
    Craig Evans
    Joe Smith
    Harry Molloy
    Joe Breeden
    Jono Jones
    Elliot Heap
    Phil Atwill
    Matt Hockenhull

submarined
    Free Member

I can only conclude you’re not looking at the same list as me?
    Because I’m seeing

Charlie Hatton
    Kaos Seagrave
    Brendan Fairclough
    Adam Brayton
    Craig Evans
    Joe Smith
    Harry Molloy
    Joe Breeden
    Jono Jones
    Elliot Heap
    Phil Atwill
    Matt Hockenhull

That’s a pretty damn stylish, entertaining and talented bunch!

Trimix
    Free Member

I saw it live a couple of years ago. TBH it really wont matter who is attempting to ride the course, its visually amazing. As a rider comes by you really wont know who they are, the level of skill and commitment are off the scale, that’s the entertainment. So moaning about who is or isn’t coming does seem daft.

Its the course that’s entertaining, sure Kade trying to do a backflip mid run is great, but seeing them live is enough whoever they are.

teenrat

im not moaning about the rider list – just saying im a little disappointed. That is partly due to no international riders, but also that there was only 12 riders listed. I acknowledged that i didnt realise there were more names to be released.

Ive been to see it live three times, and 2015 is partly why i was disappointed, as by quali and finals day, only 8 riders were left. Yes it is visually stunning, but the attrition rate is high due to both injuries and also riders not actually riding ie Matt Jones, so my disappointment was led by my concern that of the 12 listed, only a handful would be left by finals day.

chakaping
    Free Member

The fact that some of the best riders in the world turn up and think “**** this for a game of soldiers” reinforces how nuts it really is.

Would be interesting to see a few freeriders participating, but perhaps Dan deliberately keeps it just for the DH race crowd?

Imagine Andreu Lacondeguy having a go at it though.

nickc

Would be interesting to see a few freeriders participating

While I’ll admit he’s more slopestyle than freeride, but they invited Matt Jones a few years back, who’s clearly OK with being in the air off massive jumps and what have you, and he was basically crying for his mum* at the end of practice day.

* not that I blame him at all, but he made a YouTube that’s worth digging out, he admits half way down that he’s so waaaay out of his comfort zone, it’s insightful

chakaping
    Free Member

I meant the kind who do Rampage.

scuttler

Jono Jones is Matt Jones’ twin brother. So I guess there’s been some goading going on round their mum’s house.

razorrazoo

Good line up gets even better, few more riders in including Kade, Brage and Bernard.  More to be announced soon by the look of it.

chakaping
    Free Member

Interesting to see Matt Walker in there as well.

His name wouldn’t have sprung to mind, but he’s probably not having the year he hoped in the WC overall so maybe decided to branch out a bit.

Now someone will probably tell me he’s done it three times before.

danposs86

To save everyone looking for it:

Hardline Wave 2 riders

Laurie Greenland
    Kade Edwards
    George Brannigan
    Bernard Kerr
    Brage Vestavik
    Matt Walker

Hardline Wave 1 riders

Charlie Hatton
    Kaos Seagrave
    Brendan Fairclough
    Adam Brayton
    Craig Evans
    Joe Smith
    Harry Molloy
    Joe Breeden
    Jono Jones
    Elliot Heap
    Phil Atwill
    Matt Hockenhull

danposs86

Updated list:

Hardline Wave 3 Riders

Lewis Buchanan
    Oscar Harnstrom
    Gaetan Vige
    Jerome Caroli
    Johny Salido
    Matteo Iniguez
    Thibault Laly
    Thomas Genon
    Sam Gale
    Vincent Tupin
    Johannes Fischbach
    Jim Monro
    Josh Lowe
    Theo Erlangsen

Hardline Wave 2 riders

Laurie Greenland
    Kade Edwards
    George Brannigan
    Bernard Kerr
    Brage Vestavik
    Matt Walker

Hardline Wave 1 riders

Charlie Hatton
    Kaos Seagrave
    Brendan Fairclough
    Adam Brayton
    Craig Evans
    Joe Smith
    Harry Molloy
    Joe Breeden (Update: Injured at British Champs and will no longer compete)
    Jono Jones
    Elliot Heap
    Phil Atwill
    Matt Hockenhull

keefezza
    Free Member

Very much looking forward to watching this event. Nicely timed in between other live streamed races dotted about, and I expect to be hungover Sunday so this will help ease it!

chakaping
    Free Member

Reece Wilson joining Rob Warner on commentary.

5plusn8
    Free Member

Are any women doing this? Asking for a friend.

weeksy

4 mins in…. !!!

snotrag

Friday Night = Pit Bike ‘World Champs’ mayhem. Looks a whole bunch of fun.

Plot twist – everyone is secretly hoping for a semi-serious injury (twisted ankle maybe!) falling off a pitty so they dont have to race the Hardline over the weekend!

z1ppy

Bernards track walk through (skip to 6.30 for the track walk)

Wow, hats off to those guys

CalamityJames
    Free Member

I’ve been watching loads of rider clips on Insta; holy sh*tballs there’s some big old gaps. I’d love to watch it at Hardline to really appreciate the speed and size of it. Few of the crashes are eye opening, hope everyone gets through the weekend unscathed.

Trimix
    Free Member

They actually look pretty scared – un-flipping-surprisingly !

Just how the ‘F’ do you ride something like that road gap without seeing the landing for the first time. Even if you do it once and live, you have to repeat it at the same speed for a further few goes !

chakaping
    Free Member

If you only watch one Insta clip from Hardline…

https://www.instagram.com/p/CRoba7zILnd/

Shame on STW for not fixing the Insta embed function BTW

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 106 total)

The topic ‘Redbull Hardline 2021’ is closed to new replies.