Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 106 total)
  • Redbull Hardline 2021
  • chakaping
    Free Member

And if you watch a second…

https://www.instagram.com/p/CRpsK_qFi0r/

Laurie appears to bail because of a flat, but was the guy behind trying to land on the moon?

honourablegeorge

Trimix

Just how the ‘F’ do you ride something like that road gap without seeing the landing for the first time. Even if you do it once and live, you have to repeat it at the same speed for a further few goes !

Bernard Kerr seems to have taken all the young lads under his wing, been towing folks in, showing them the speed, etc

snotrag

Every year Gee (Atherton, obvs) who with Dan and their team build the course, tends to be the guy that does the ‘test runs’, IE to work out whether the course is actually rideable, and what speed you need to hit the gaps at. Then at the start of Hardline week Gee ‘tows in’ all the riders, especially those who are new to Hardline, to get them all down the course for their first run.

Of course, Gee is a certified hard as nails lunatic, but also related to that is currently not dong much riding!

So this year they invited 2019 winner and also fairly handy rider Bernard Kerr to come up to the course a couple of weeks back and be the test dummy – sussed out the drops, gave the course the OK etc.

Thus, this year, Bernard has taken on the task of being first man and helping everyone out with the tow in.

Trimix
    Free Member

Yeah, but just who of any of us mortals would follow him in on a run. Even if he says “just follow me and you will be fine” – you would be in the air long enough to recite your will before hitting the ground.

That last Insta clip ! – Laurie crashes off the jump in a bail out (presumably) but the other bloke takes off like a bloody missile. That speed needed to launch to the landing looked faster than I’ve ever ridden my road bike, let alone MTB.

I tend to have mixed feelings about watching it live, love it, don’t get me wrong. But a little bit of my brain says sooner or later you are going to be looking at 12 stone of badly wrapped mince meat lying at the bottom of a jump and waiting for Rob Warner to come up with a funny quip.

fingerbang
    Free Member

The track walk vlogs on Vital MTB are ball shrinkingly scary.

I still think the Gopro footage makes it look easier than it is, only cos they’re going race speed. But the new drop doesn’t look too bad on the Kerr POV but obviously its massive.

same with the road gap, at race speed it looks like you’re in the air for as long as the Chatel road gap or something, and you start thinking that if you’re at the top of the game you’d have a look at it.

But then you see how big it is in a still shot and you run and hide behind the sofa, or at least I do.

what Im trying to say is that helmet cam flattens everything, or makes it look smaller

fingerbang
    Free Member

Every year Gee (Atherton, obvs) who with Dan and their team build the course, tends to be the guy that does the ‘test runs’, IE to work out whether the course is actually rideable, and what speed you need to hit the gaps at. Then at the start of Hardline week Gee ‘tows in’ all the riders, especially those who are new to Hardline, to get them all down the course for their first run.

Of course, Gee is a certified hard as nails lunatic, but also related to that is currently not dong much riding!

So this year they invited 2019 winner and also fairly handy rider Bernard Kerr to come up to the course a couple of weeks back and be the test dummy – sussed out the drops, gave the course the OK etc.

Thus, this year, Bernard has taken on the task of being first man and helping everyone out with the tow in.

guinea pigging the new step down must’ve been so scary. I can’t get my head around looking at that for the first time. But I spose for a Rampage guy like Kerr you’ve progressed that far that you instantly have a feel for the speed and handing required.

everytime I see Bernard I always think of the ‘cant pay we’ll take it awa’y when the bailiffs just walk into his unlocked back door and stumble across thousands of pounds worth of bike in his dining room 🙂

5plusn8
    Free Member

I think he looks like Ed Sheerans role model.

fingerbang
    Free Member

When I say ‘easier’ above I obvs mean ‘less insane’. Before there’s a pinkbike style pile on

teenrat

https://www.instagram.com/p/CRreVJjqPSe/?utm_medium=copy_link

Oooff. Glad he’s ok.

Bernard stacked it today as well

chrismac

I’m not surprised most of the top 30 aren’t there. Why would they? It’sa one off pr entertainment event with a high risk and absolutely no reward. The only top riders from the U.K. there are sponsored by the event organising drink company so probably have to turn up

d42dom

The only top riders from the U.K. there are sponsored by the event organising drink company so probably have to turn up

so what about the other 8-10 Uk DH riders who aren’t sponsored by Redbull?

chakaping
    Free Member

It’sa one off pr entertainment event with a high risk and absolutely no reward.

Erm, it’s on every year and the prize money is much better than world cups IIRC.

And it’s getting tons of media coverage which these riders’ sponsors will be pleased about.

Rubber_Buccaneer

It’s an annual pr entertainment event

Yeah, why would any sponsor be interested in that

steveh

Looking like qualis are cancelled today due to too much wind. They were all doing full runs yesterday to be able to do qualis today from what I saw so I maybe they’ll use those for the quali show today.

steveh

Now confirmed, they’re hoping to do them at 5pm if the wind drops.

DezB
    Free Member

Oh, ffs, this really is destined to be a shit day! Go out to fit in a ride before Hardline, get 2 punctures in the same tyre, can’t find them, have to walk back to the car. Get home find Hardline quals postponed to the same time as the rugby starts! ARSE!

5plusn8
    Free Member

Get home find Hardline quals postponed to the same time as the rugby starts! ARSE!

Aye shite, however, hardline will be on replay later and you only really need live for the main event tomorrow!

Are you tubeless?

leffeboy

i have no idea how any of these folks can walk away from a fall like that.  they must be so hard

DezB
    Free Member

Are you tubeless?

Yeah, first puncture(s) in years. If it had been 1 hole, probably would stayed up, but I pinched by the bead too, so had no chance. Now wondering if Mattoutandabout has a point about Spesh tyres.
    Anyway yeah, will watch the delay on Red Bull tv after the rugby 😊

FunkyDunc
    Free Member

Cancelled for today now isn’t it?

malv173
    Free Member

It has. It’s a bonkers enough course without the added danger of the wind. Hope the weather improves tomorrow or it’ll be game over. But it’s rather it be cancelled than the riders taking even bigger risks than they already are.

DezB
    Free Member

It’s ON!

nickc

On an Enduro bike?

Fair play to the fella…

DezB
    Free Member

Tommy Genon styled it all the way down. Solid entertainment. Then Lewis Buchanan racing it, I literally had sweaty palms his whole run. So good.

mehr
    Free Member

I fancy Jim Munro to lay down the marker

kingofthetoys

The speed they’re flying into the left-hand berm after the big old drop is madness!

DezB
    Free Member

Gotta wonder how much faster the top boys can actually ride it..?!

Ah, I guess they’re starting to show the areas where time can be gained 🙂

snotrag

BIG accident avoided there!

Lots of DNS’s, looks like Kerr isn’t starting as he was at the bottom filming Sam Gale, so who’ll be last man down?

DezB
    Free Member

I think Kerr’s injured his shoulder with that OTB earlier. They showed his full face was pretty wrecked, so he definitely hit the ground hard.

kingofthetoys

He had his riding kit on then so who knows?

DezB
    Free Member

Must say Reece Wilson one of the best co-commentators I’ve heard on any sport. A natural.. the boy should go far 🙂

honourablegeorge

Was thinking same, very comfortable and well spoken, and inormative too

mehr
    Free Member

Brage is insane to watch

colp

What a run by Brage!

DezB
    Free Member

Smith going too damn fast! Really belted himself on those rocks. Great he’s ok.
    Looks like Kerr’s got himself to the top… 😀

nickc

Brage is insane to watch

Madness. Glad Smith is OK, looked like he smacked his head hard.

DezB
    Free Member

Stunning.

kingofthetoys

That was great to watch!

wordnumb
    Free Member

Must say Reece Wilson one of the best co-commentators I’ve heard on any sport.

Agree, and Warner’s not shouting over him, they work well together.

Most enjoyable Hardline viewing to date imo. Without Gee it seems more open, less can-you-beat-the-local.

Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 106 total)

The topic ‘Redbull Hardline 2021’ is closed to new replies.