Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 25 total)
  • Red wine – from Derbyshire
  • frankconway

A first for me. Rondo (grape variety) from Renishaw Hall.
    A bit like Beaujolais – pale colour and light bodied.
    They claim to be the most northerly vineyard in UK; I thought that was Leventhorpe in Leeds – I’ve really tried to like any of their wines, just one either red or white, but…..failed.

seosamh77
    Free Member

I ordered a bottle of Lebanese red tonight, first time trying that, can’t mind what it was called, was lovely though, quite sharp to start with, but one of those bottles that just gets better as you go! 🙂

MrSmith
    Free Member

It was probably Chateau Musar.

jambalaya
    Free Member

Seems a looong way North for any wine never mind a red.

CountZero

IIRC, the Romans had vines growing in Northumberland. Climate change, innit.

frankconway

Lebanese was likely to be Musar but there are several others.
    Hochar et Fils is the ‘baby’ version of Musar and is a bit less than 50% of price; retail for Hochar is c£14 & Musar 2008 c£26 – restaurant prices about double.
    Musar is a favourite of mine – been drinking it for about 35 years; but not non-stop; best vintage I’ve tasted was 1966 – 2 people, three glasses; open bottle, pour small amount into ‘spare’ glass, this opens wine up quickly, leave for 30mins, pour to drink.
    ’66 was vegetal when uncorked but then opened up wonderfully; magnificent.
    Musar white is very different; it tastes oxidised – but isn’t. Very much an acquired taste. Has considerable bottle life – have drunk ’83; reminded me a very sharp fino sherry.
    Have whites from ’93 onwards cellared; they keep for aeons.
    Older vintages of Faustino 1 (Rioja Gran Reserva) – at least 20 years old – can be fabulous. I have a case of 1994 and a couple of bottles of 1996 just sitting there, waiting and becoming ever more wonderful.
    It’s all subjective.
    Anyone for Tyrell’s vat No 1 or 1971 Dom Perignon? Or 1999 Penfold’s Grange – two of them in perfect cellared condition.

seosamh77
    Free Member

Musar, that’s the one.

was a bottle of this.

http://chateaumusar.com/wine-categories/musar-jeune/

Think it was £25 or so, so I guess somewhere, £10-15 in the shops.

frankconway

Jamba,
    I’ve been to Leventhorpe – in Leeds – and tasted their wines – in Leeds.
    Get thee train ooop north and inspect for thee sen.

frankconway

Seosamh77; time to move onto the daddy wine.
    The history and background adds a lot to the the reputation; treading grapes, bottling and exporting world-class wines in the middle of a sectarian/secessionist war.

It’s a wine with a real badstory.
    Only a personal view; enjoy – Musar jejune or daddy, other lebanese vineyards are availableble; all good. Hic…….

xora

Your kidding right?

https://www.cairnomohr.com

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Given the central band produces a decent amount of Red wine the UK climate should be adapting well, see also NZ, it’s not so much the distance from the equator but what you do with it that is more important.

kiwijohn

What the flip is that map supposed to look like Mike?

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Apparently it’s from a series of what’s your weather like maps

dangeourbrain
    Free Member

They claim to be the most northerly vineyard in UK; I thought that was Leventhorpe in Leeds

There are a few more northerly than Derbyshire, holmfirth, one (won some pretty good international recognition) near Doncaster, Leeds, one just off the York road from Harrogate and doubtless a few more.

English sparkling can be exceedingly good.

GlennQuagmire
    Free Member

one just off the York road from Harrogate

Yep, in a small village called Nun Monkton – I’ve heard good reviews from friends and family.

http://www.yorkshireheart.com/

dangeourbrain
    Free Member

^^^ that’s the one Glenn.

I actually got married there at the end of August.

nedrapier

IIRC, the Romans had vines growing in Northumberland. Climate change, innit.

Not necessarily. I don’t know how much wine was imported from Europe, and how much of it made it up north. I’d imagine shit wine was preferable to no wine.

bigrich

that’s a map of tasmania.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

rich I’ve fallen into that trap before…

zokes
    Free Member

Do we really need to see Mike’s map of Tasmania?

seosamh77
    Free Member

frankconway – Member
    Seosamh77; time to move onto the daddy wine.
    The history and background adds a lot to the the reputation; treading grapes, bottling and exporting world-class wines in the middle of a sectarian/secessionist war.

It’s a wine with a real badstory.
    Only a personal view; enjoy – Musar jejune or daddy, other lebanese vineyards are availableble; all good. Hic…….

Don’t think i’ve got the money to get into that game! £20/£25 quid would be as much as I’d be willing to spend on a bottle of wine, mibbe go up to £50 in a restaurant!

Neither do I drink enough to know what’s what, it’s always random choices. Like a good red though.

bigrich

there’s a derby in tassie; excellent trails, but mostly they grow hops now.

GlennQuagmire
    Free Member

^^^ that’s the one Glenn.

I actually got married there at the end of August.

Cool, a fantastic location for a wedding 🙂

I live quite nearby and keep meaning to call in to buy some of their beers and wines.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Yep Rich,, slap bang between some of our wine growing areas 🙂 Trails are hopefully good this weekend

ads678

I live about 5 minutes walk away from Leventhorpe, I’m not a wine expert but theirs is quite nice. Their sparkling is good.

I tend to buy from the co-op or Lidl down the road though….

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 25 total)

The topic ‘Red wine – from Derbyshire’ is closed to new replies.