• This topic has 18 replies, 14 voices, and was last updated 3 years ago by aP.
Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)
  • recommendend me some bid shorts (road)
  • robw1
    Free Member

my Castelli bib shorts are looking pretty tired. any decent deals out there for some bib shorts for road riding. need to be as good quality as castelli, for use in everything but deepest winter….up to about £90.

was looking at endure. any experiences of them? how do they size up? or should I just get castelli again?

13thfloormonk

I got some Endura FS260s, they’re about all you’ll get for £90.

Pretty nice shorts all in, but don’t think the pad is as good as a Castelli pad, I got a lot of chafing to begin with but it seems to be breaking in (if that’s a thing).

Think you can get Castelli Entrata for £90?

https://www.sigmasports.com/item/Castelli/Entrata-Bib-Short/OZ1D

That’s what I’m eyeing up next, I loved my Castelli Volos but think I got one size to small, felt like the pad was trying to saw off my right leg at the crotch…

Sizing wise, I guess I’m XXL in Castelli and but a large in Endura. 6ft, 34″ waist across the belly button (that’s measured, not just trouser size which I used to go off).

I also got some Rapha Cores. They get a lot of love on here but I’m still not sure, just not finding them comfy. Hoping they will also wear in a bit! Feel like good quality though.

joebristol

I just ordered some endura fs260 pro’s for £67 ish delivered from cycle store. If you are a new customer and sign up to their newsletter you get a fiver off the £72 listed price. Not used them before and these will be my first bibs.

Only recently got some waist short versions of dhb Aerons and I’m now sold on spending (a lot) more than £30 on cycle shorts going forward as they are really good compared to what I had before. I did toy with getting the bib version of aerons for £60 but for the extra £7 I thought I’d try a ‘proper’ branded pair to see what they’re like.

I think I did come across Castelli Entradas for £80 or £90 when I was looking, but forget where. I’m short and stocky and not in anyway Italian road cyclist shape so thought I’d try endura as a U.K. brand.

BadlyWiredDog

I’d just buy some more Castelli if they suit you. It might cost a little more, but averaged out over the number of rides, it’s arguably worth it. I like the Rapha Pro Team bibs, but didn’t buy them at full price. For affordable, I get on with Morvelo, always bought discounted either from Wiggle or Movelo themselves with promotional offers.

Personally I wouldn’t buy Endura due to bad quality and customer service experiences in the past. That may have changed though, they’re now owned by the guys behind Berghaus, Speedo, Lacoste and others, so maybe things have improved.

13thfloormonk

I never found the Endura customer service lacking, got an eVent jacket replaced immediately when it started leaking (I mean, I expected it to be replaced, it was just nice how fast and quibble free they were about it). Used to be able to get free repairs to old gear as well.

I notice I didn’t get any reply to my email about how much the new FS260s were chafing but they probably just wanted to avoid an argument with someone over saddle issues, it’s such a lottery finding something that works it seems. Still a little miffed though…

qwerty
    Free Member

£10 over your budget, but I recently brought two pairs of these in navy, much better pad than the Endura high end I had previously, I really like these Morvelo Stealth bibs:

Stealth Mens Standard Bib Shorts

Bib Short Guarantee: we’re so confident that you’ll love these we offer a 30-day trial. If you’re not happy simply return for a full refund.

iainc

Endura Fs260 Pro are good however the current Pro SL ones are in a different class IMO.

kcal

Have various bib shorts – Endura as above – they had been very good, I wasn’t sure about last pair so branched out.

dhb Aero – funny fit for me, not really bad but never feel right. Rapha – really good. Morvelo – equally very good. Hard to pick between the two of those. Morvelo might just edge it.

lunge

Top end Decathlon and save some money. My standard reply to this question.

avdave2

Lusso Carbon, made in Manchester so helping to keep some actual manufacturing of bike things in the country and a penny under budget. I’ve a couple of pairs and really like them

murdooverthehill

the current Pro SL ones are in a different class

this ^

Had the old style in a large size but the pad was a bit loose, although they were still pretty comfy.
    Bought the new style in a medium recently and although they feel tight when you put them on once you are on the bike you completely forget about them – brilliant, no regrets about dropping a size (for info I’m 6’2″, 34 waist, 11st 5lbs)

chrisdb
    Free Member

Rapha have seams down the middle of the (otherwise lovely) chamois which started annoying my soft bits about an hour in. Not brilliant when they are £170 for a bib (Classics) – they have a 30 day guarantee on them though so sent them back, no quibble refund to be fair. Shame because they are lovely otherwise and I like their tops and gilets.

Now on Assos Mille GT which are fantastic.

iainc

although they feel tight when you put them on once you are on the bike you completely forget about them

Yep, total game changer IMO. I have had loads of bib shorts amd these are the best ftting and most comfortable ones I have worn.

TiRed

Rapha Core are excellent. I’ve had the more expensive versions too, but their bottom of the range are the sweet spot. They do a nice one with a mesh pocket too.

roger_mellie

Lusso.

BillMC

Lusso

robw1
    Free Member

thanks for advice. I think I will just go for some more castellis rather than risk the endures not being as conformable. I like the endura MTB stuff a lot but never had any experience of the road kit.

BadlyWiredDog

I notice I didn’t get any reply to my email about how much the new FS260s were chafing but they probably just wanted to avoid an argument with someone over saddle issues, it’s such a lottery finding something that works it seems. Still a little miffed though…

Well, the FS whatever it was I bought from them had a pad that was basically sewn in the wrong position, too far back, they just ignored me. I don’t doubt that other people have had a different experience, but for me, that rules them out, though as I said earlier, they’re now owned by Pentland and may be a different proposition. Personally, given that there are plenty of other quality alternatives out there, I’ll not be buying Endura again. I also wore a hole in the seat of their waterproof 3/4s in around five rides in the Peak. They weren’t interested in that either. That was the last Endura thing I ever bought. That was my experience, twice, and it was shocking. YMMV.

I’d buy Morvelo instead. Or Rapha Core.

aP
    Free Member

Shorts I go back to include Rapha, castelli, fi’zik, and pedaled.
    I used to buy Endura over 25 years ago their bib shorts were great, but gave up on them as a brand in the early 00’s as everything I bought from them fell apart. Usually within a single day.

Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)

The topic ‘recommendend me some bid shorts (road)’ is closed to new replies.