Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Recommended stuff (non-biking) around Machynlleth
  • wallop

Got some tickets for the Mach Comedy Festival so planning to make the most of the bank holiday weekend. Will be in the campervan and hopefully avec new dog so no mountain biking this time.

Any recommendations? Campsites, pubs, walks, villages to visit etc. I like food, ales and nice scenery.

Garry_Lager

The centre for alternative technology is up the road and has a v interesting history [people fleeing the rat race to live off the grid in the 70s] but the exhibits were all dilapidated and knackered when we were there a couple of years back. Probably swerve going there tbh – felt obsolete.

nickjb
    Free Member

CAT is still good but you need to put some effort in as a visitor, it is a bit tired in places though. Dyfi osprey project is worth a trip if the birds are there (depends on the time of year). Mach itself is a nice town and is great during the comedy festival. Loads of people wandering round. Is the Enduro on the same weekend as well? Aberdyfi is a nice seaside town, or the big sand flats on the opposite side of the estuary are good too. Loads of good little campsites dotted around, farm field style with a little painted sign on the gate. Cader Idris is a classic walk but I reckon you could head in any direction and be happy with the scenery. Lovely part of the world.

BigJohn

We like the Gwerniago Farm campsite in Pennal (near Bryn Y Aur for Led Zep fans). Fantastic views down the estuary. And from there we go to Borth or Aberdyfi for a spot of windsurfing. Aberdyfi (or Aberdovey) is a rather lovely seaside town with a great chippy and you can enjoy yourself catching crabs (and throwing them back) on the pier.

wallop

Ah yes – Gwerniago currently top of my list!

tom13
    Free Member

Dyfi Enduro is on the same weekend. That is well worth doing if you get an entry. We camp in the field and it’s always a good atmosphere. The comedy people have the field next to it to camp as well but everyone shares the facilities such as the bar.
    Devils bridge isn’t too far away but still about 30mins. And there are some nice harbours just south of Aberystwyth. Aberdyfi is really nice as well.

mick_r

Another vote for Gwerniago farm

Malvern Rider
    Free Member

Quarry Café is top of my café food list in Mach in the World evar.

Also swimming in the Dyfi, but maybe not in winter

Castell y Bere in the Dyseni Valley (spelling?)

+1 Cader Idris. Approaching from Mach I’d do the Minffordd Path up to Llyn Cau, if weather is favourable then continue to peak.

howsyourdad1
    Free Member

cadair idris if you haven’t done it. I used to go bouldering at Barmouth Slabs. Pubs no idea apart from the ones in Mac

wallop

Cheers guys!

Kahurangi

There’s some nice pottery and a load of other rubbish at the Corris Craft Centre.

Spud

Definitely Aberdovey/ Aberdyfi. Butchers is very good there if you want BBQ stuff. Beach excellent, although have to go a way down past the town to take dogs in in season. Dyfi Distillery at Corris Craft Centre, their gin is very good. Pop over to Dolgellau (via Corris), wander along the Mawddach, or up to CYB and walk around the non-biking trails. Cadr Idris as said, if your new dog is up to the distance. If wet then the Tallylyn Railway from either Twywn or Abergynolwyn is nice if you haven’t done it before.

konagirl
    Free Member

Depending if new dog = puppy and so limits how far you want to walk. Cadair Idris might be a bit much! New Precipice Walk from Llanelltyd has gorgeous views and can be shortened (the full route is ~5 miles). +1 for Castell y Bere, hidden derelict welsh castle, in a beautiful quiet valley and start of the longer walk up Cadair Idris. A good short but quiet strenuous walk is from Cwm Bychan up the Roman Steps to the col (you can continue up the faint paths to Rhinog Fawr summit), amazing views. But quite a drive from Mach, although you could combine with time at Harlech Castle.

Don’t discount time at the beach. Aberdovey/Aberdyfi is a nice place. Tywyn and Borth are both typical UK ‘resorts’ but have big sandy beaches so even though there are dog restrictions in the town centres, you still have miles available. And you might see dolphins from the coast.

The ospreys should have returned to Cors Dyfi.

We’ve usually stayed at Cae Du for direct access to the sea, but it’s probably a bit far from Mach, and I hear it has got expensive.

wallop

Dog might be going in a rucksack if he’s not too big by then.

Is Barmouth worth a visit?

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

The topic ‘Recommended stuff (non-biking) around Machynlleth’ is closed to new replies.