• This topic has 30 replies, 27 voices, and was last updated 4 years ago by Daffy.
Viewing 31 posts - 1 through 31 (of 31 total)
  • Recommended me some brakes
  • beanieripper
    Free Member

Hi all,

Picked up some new m8000 xt brakes from CRC. Fitted the front and the lever virtually hits the bar. I know it may need a bleed but after reading all the horror stories on these I might just return the pair. The lever also has loads of flex in it…seems to come from the plastic shim inside half of the bar clamp. My old Saint m800 were still ace despite being a decade old, olive stuck in the lever means I need a replacement set. Who’s running what and what are the most reliable now?? Cheers all.

qwerty
    Free Member

Magura Trail Sport is what I’d buy next.

beanieripper
    Free Member

Hmm, they are pretty plasticity. Are the m8000s going to be as problematic as I think they are?

bikerevivesheffield

Trp slate 4 – not cool but solid

damascus
    Free Member

They have a 2 year warranty. If they go the way if the horror stories then you get a replacement or refund.

Bleed them properly and ride them. I like mine

pickle
    Free Member

I’ve been running the Deore 4 pots for a year now and they’ve been superb, all for around £120 front and rear.
    They don’t have no tool adjustment but who changes the reach once you’ve set them up right? I can live without that 👍👍

joebristol

M8000’s seem to be the brakes that get slated on forums and in multiple magazine reviews for having a variable bite point. I wouldn’t touch them with a barge pole.

If shimano ive not heard of any issues with Saint or too much with Zee.

If other brands I’d go with Sram Codes.

devash
    Free Member

I have M8000s on my Giant Anthem, purchased new in 2017. One of the levers was exactly as you described when the bike was delivered. A quick bleed sorted it out and they’ve been flawless for me ever since.

As a disclaimed I’m more of an XC rider than an enduro / downhiller which may or may not make a difference in whether you experience the wandering bite point or not.

dandasbike
    Free Member

code rsc is the obvious answer, anything but shimano and you can’t go wrong really.

dc1988

Formula are great, my RO’s are years old and still going strong without issues. I’ll definitely be looking at Cura’s when I’m buying new brakes. I’m giving up on Shimano, they’re inconsistent and I don’t like the lever very much.

julians
    Free Member

Sram codes, the rsc variant if you can stretch to them, but the r’s are probably still better than almost any brake out there.

jree
    Free Member

Got XT m8000 on one bike and they’ve been excellent. On the jeffsy the guide ultimate were just not for me so replaced with mt5s which were good value and incredible stopping power.

thelooseone

I’ve never liked the on/off feel of Shimano brakes. My choice is the Hope Tech 3 X2 – expensive yes, but extremely reliable, fully rebuildable, great modulation and feel and they look ace (in my opinion).

SimonR

Think I’ve always been lucky with the Shimano brakes – running 4 pot xt on one bike and hope e4 on another. Shimano win easily on stopping power, Hopes seem to have better modulation. Never had any problems with inconsistency on Shimano brakes but usually do a quick lever bleed when I change pads – only takes a couple of minutes

Both Hope and Shimano have been way more reliable than the SRAMs they replaced – last Alps trip I went on there were 5 of us had SRAMs and all had big issues when they got hot. Nobody running Hopes, Shimano or Magura had any issues at all

On balance I’d go for the xt 4 pots – soon get used to the extra power – just don’t squeeze as hard! I wouldn’t underestimate the value of a shedload of stopping power – on long descents it saves your arms.

jjprestidge
    Free Member

People I ride with have had just as many problems with SRAM brakes as any other. Mainly pistons jamming on Guides and Codes.

I’ve got Deore 4 pots and they’ve been totally reliable. Ditto the XTR 4 pots on two of my mates’ bikes and the Saint brakes on other friends’ bikes.

JP

scotroutes

Picked up some new m8000 xt brakes from CRC. Fitted the front and the lever virtually hits the bar. I know it may need a bleed

Get on with it then!

onehundredthidiot

Just replacing the guides on my bike with magura trail carbons, 50% off at winstanleys. My mt7s are great so these should be just as good. Guides will be selling when the silliness ends great brakes just the maguras were a birthday present to myself.

breadcrumb

I’ve Hope e4s on my FS, I’d put them on all my bikes if money allowed.

I’ve had one set of Shimano brakes (Deore), they were refunded under warranty at ~14 months old IIRC.

JAG

I’ve got Magura MT5’s on my two mountain bikes. Very good brakes with plenty of stopping power.

I’ve also had two or three sets of Shimano Deore brakes and never had any trouble with them either.

HTH ;o)

jkomo

No problems with any of my Shimano. Had 4 or five sets.

Shackleton

Hayes dominion A4 if you value light feel and modulation with high stopping power that doesn’t fade on log descents. Way more controlled performance than shimano xt. Behave more similarly to magura MT7 but with lighter actuation.

SirHC

Had Hope’s on the bikes for years, fancied a change so picked up some curas, not a single bad review.

Fitted them to the big bike, plenty of power, modulation and the lever is a really nice shape, think old avid juicy lever (I had two sets that were fine!).

Since then hardtail and trail bike have had curas fitted to them. Pump track bike will get one at some point, the x2 on their is fine after a bleed and a new set of pads.

chestrockwell

Hope E4’s for me, bullet proof and have plenty of power. Had Deore’s and XT before the E4’s and both were fine but much prefer the Hope.

chakaping
    Free Member

If I hadn’t got some very cheap Zees, I’d have bought Deore 4pots.

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

Got a great deal on Magura MT Trail sport, my lbs changed out my wolftooth lever and stuck a new XT shifter on too (yes, they’re awesome!) For free.

They’re brilliant brakes.

I had XT8000 before, which lasted nearly 3 years, and were faultless until the rear failed recently. So, actual experience, instead of folks up there going by what’s said on forums, and never trying stuff. 🙄

tall_martin

I like my hope e4 on my geometron.

I like my shimano xt 7somethings on my hardtail.

my shimano xt 8000 had a wandering bite point and no amount of bleeding would cure it for long. They have been relegated to the least used hardtail

I had some guide r that were fantastic- until the rear failed and I couldn’t get any parts to fix the lever.

dc1988

In response to the OP, have you tried advancing the pistons? Usually works pretty well on Shimano brakes to get an earlier bite point.

ifindoubtflatout
    Free Member

Im running Guide RS levers on Guide RE calipers… Also known as ghetto Code RS…. Loads of power and lever feel to stop my fat ass.

onehundredthidiot

Just need to get out now. They’re a bit cylon.

frankconway

Formula; got T1s on one bike and think they’re great.
    Am torn between XT and T1 for an on-going build.

Daffy

Hope for me. Had XTRs, XTs, Codes etc, but the Hope are powerful, comfortable, linear and pretty.

Everything now has Hope E4, X2 and RX4s bar for one bike with Dura Ace.

Viewing 31 posts - 1 through 31 (of 31 total)

The topic ‘Recommended me some brakes’ is closed to new replies.