• This topic has 32 replies, 29 voices, and was last updated 4 years ago by birky.
Viewing 34 posts - 1 through 34 (of 34 total)
  • Recommendations for Warm MTB jacket please
  • lowey

My old faithful Endura Fusion Soft Shell has finally given up the ghost.

So after a new jacket for cold days on the fells. Will be worn next over a thin base layer. Must be warm and hard wearing (bike is on shoulders for lots of my rides).

Was thinking of something like the MTR Primaloft from Endura ? anyone got one ? or any other suggestions ?

Many thanks.

scotroutes

I find any sort of insulated jacket far too warm for 99.999% of my riding. I opt for a warmer softshell, windproof (front at least), maybe with some sort of flocked inner surface.

Polaris AM Enduro is my normal recommendation and they’re currently on sale at £25.

https://www.polaris-bikewear.co.uk/AM-Enduro-softshell-mountain-biking-jacket-p/pol01-5313-p.htm

lowey

Thanks for that. I’ve had on of those in the past and found it to be a little too thin, even with a base layer on. The Soft Shell Fusion was a little heavier I found perfect.

At £25 though might be worth another punt.

roverpig

Paramo might be an option. I’ve got a smock of theirs that is too warm most of the time but perfect for those bitter Scottish winter days riding in the hills.

geomickb
    Free Member

Hmm I was out in my Polaris AM Enduro for the first time at the weekend.

I was surprised how hot/sweaty I was, then soon got cold on the tops. I’m glad I only paid £25.

I normally wear a Rab VR Alpine but it is now more repair tape than jacket.

kilo

Galibier mistral good jackets use mine off road most weekends

ratherbeintobago

Is there a reason not to layer?

I wear a long-sleeve jersey between base layer and jacket (the usual one is a Santini jersey from Prendas, that has a slightly flocky lining) and that’s usually warm enough.

martinhutch

Depends how hot you run, but I have a Gore Phantom softshell which is pretty windproof and comfy, and the sleeves zip off for in-between conditions. In colder weather I’ll have winter bib and warmer jersey under it, with a shell on top.

moonsaballoon

I have a Madison dte hybrid which is a bit like the endura primaloft you mentioned. It works really well , soft shell back and sides which makes it pretty breathable and seems to do a good job of keeping you warm without being to warm .

BadlyWiredDog

Is there a reason not to layer?

Kind of this. I mix and match with a DHB Polartec Alpha Gilet, layered with either / or / and a Rab VR Alpine and a Montane Pertex Windproof. When it gets really proper cold, I use a Paramo mountaineering jacket, which is heavy and too warm for anything much over freezing point, but works really well in deep winter conditions.

I find Primaloft stuff just too warm, even the Active version, Polartec Alpha is much, much better as active insulation, but there’s not much out there in mountain bike form. Norrona does a heinously expensive thing with zip-off sleeves, that I’d possibly buy if I could find it with a decent discount and it was consistently cold over winter, which it really isn’t, this:

https://www.norrona.com/en-GB/products/fjora/fjora-convertible-alpha60-jacket-men/?color=2295

SuperScale20
    Free Member

MT 500 Waterproof with Vest, Base layer I generally end up to hot in minus and have to open vents or unzip jacket. This is my second season with MT500 and certainly will get a new one when this wears out.

bowglie

I recently treated myself to an Endura MT500 freezing point jacket, and have been pleasantly surprised by how good it is.  I’ve used it for cold windy days in the Dark Peak (sloggy uphills followed by exposed moorland trails).  On the climbs, I’m down to just a thin base layer underneath, and just open the vents if I get a bit warm. Occasionally find myself adding a merino midlayer once I’m up out of the valley in the wind.

Probably worth mentioning that I use it on my ebike as well as my ‘analog’ trail bike.  It is a really warm jacket – so on the analog bike, I can get pretty steamy, but the back panel breathes well, and the vents are huge, so the jacket deals with excess heat better than most membrane soft shells I’ve owned. On the ebike I generally run a little bit colder, and the jacket is absolutely perfect.

I guess everyone’s susceptibility to cold differs, but for me (on the analog bike) I reckon the jacket might be a bit too warm on days when the ‘feel like’ temperature is above about 5 degrees.

(Previously tried various soft shells & partial wind proof jackets from Gore, Endura and Alpkit and found them to all be really comprised in some way)

wooderson

Pear Izumi Versa Hoody?

I’ve got a black one and it’s been my daily jacket on and off the bike, commuting and MTB. quilting front and rear, with showerproof arms. I’ve had it absolutely filthy, but just a cold machine wash away from perfect again. Keep quite a lot of rain out and dries very quick. Love it

https://www.bikemag.com/2020-bible-of-bike-tests/bible-tester-favorites-jackets/

kcal

Its maybe too much jacket for what you need – but I was out today with my Cycle Jersey Windcheeta jacket. Its maybe more road than MTB, but is warm, has some water resistance, fleece lined and very robust outer – depends on how cold / foul you expect to be out riding in, but it’s getting to be my reach for jacket if looks a bit rubbish weather.

Jackets and Gilets

Not sure what the Windcheeta Lite is like – looks maybe like a mesh rear panel.

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

I have the same Polaris jacket, it’s very good. Off the bike it seems a tad short in the body, but it’s okay on the bike.

Bargain.

Keva
    Free Member

I’ve bought myself an Endura Pro SL which has been great so far. Really comfy, warm enough, waterproof enough and seems to breath well. Haven’t worn it in the pouring rain for hours yet but it’s certainly held me up well during some fairly tough wet & windy conditions these last couple of months.

https://www.chainreactioncycles.com/endura-pro-sl-waterproof-softshell-exoshell15st-aw19/rp-prod189419

<should be able to find one cheaper shopping around>

scruff
    Free Member

I bought the Endura primaloft gilet for commuting, its good for sitting in pub beer gardens but too warm for normal commuting even in January.

scotroutes

I have one of the Endura Primaloft jackets. I’ve only ever worn it once for riding…..

[url=https://flic.kr/p/2hMZm5a]P1060214[/url] by Colin Cadden, on Flickr

I had a thin, long-sleeved baselayer under and I was still too warm most of that ride.

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

Endura Jetstream?

Pretty much the only top I wear all winter. Good for anything from fast clubruns to playing in the woods.

12C today so wore it on it’s own, 8C yesterday and I had the thinnest baselayer on, sub zero I wear it with a merrino LS baselayer and a windproof gillet.

Currently a bargain £30 at Trendz. At that price I’m tempted to stock up in a few sizes in case I shrink and the L’s become too baggy as they really are good.

benp1

The only primaloft I can ride in is stuff with a primaloft front and a normal breathable back. That’s great in the winter.

Otherwise polartec alpha is a better active insulator

I can wear a primaloft vest for low energy cycling, but as soon as the pace even moderately picks up it’s game over!

ibnchris

Plus one for a Paramo smock. I’ve got the lighter weight one and ride in it throughout the winter.

ampthill

Paramo smock has to be a top contender. So plus one.

Has to be the old heavier stuff

Incredible, comfort, breathability and durability.

Like a soft shell but water proof!

epicyclo

Rab Vapor-Rise

Wear it from about 10ºC downwards. Really cold, I just stick a gilet on top.

Very cold, it’s time to break out the Buffalo (or Montane Extreme).

tourismo

I have the MTR 500 jacket. It’s a nice jacket but it needs to be very cold before I wear it for cycling as it’s very warm. Looks good enough to wear off the bike too.

postierich
    Free Member

Using Alpkits Balance jacket with a  Griffon works for me!

Griffon [Mens]

Balance [Mens]

globalti
    Free Member

How about dhb from Wiggle? Exceptional value for money: https://www.wiggle.co.uk/dhb-mtb-trail-hooded-softshell-jacket/

footflaps

How about dhb from Wiggle? Exceptional value for money: https://www.wiggle.co.uk/dhb-mtb-trail-hooded-softshell-jacket/

That looks pretty impressive!

tmb467
    Free Member

Evans had the Fox Attack Fire jacket reduced to 90ish recently. On the Bay for around 80ish if you look hard

chakaping
    Free Member

Exceptional value for money:

£90 for a softshell is not exceptional VFM IMO.

There are so many on the market, I tend to pick them up for £25 to £50 in the sales and keep a few in different thicknesses for varying weather.

Mostly tend to wear an Altura one (£25) or a Patagonia one (less than £90!) with appropriate layers though.

BadlyWiredDog

£90 for a softshell is not exceptional VFM IMO.

I’m holding out for the Rapha one 🙂

tomparkin

I have a Rab VR Alpine which I like: it’s a good balance of warm and not-too-warm (at least for lower level stuff), and shrugs off mizzle happily.

But! I think for the OP’s usecase it’s possibly not robust enough. I’ve had mine a year and already it has picked up a few little snags from brambles and the surface of the Pertex has bobbled where rubbed by e.g. a backpack.

chakaping
    Free Member

I’m holding out for the Rapha one

We should run a sweepstake on the pricing.

iainc

Another vote for the Endura MT500 freezing point jacket. Layer accordingly and it works from mid single digits to well sub zero.

birky
    Free Member

Is the Polaris AM Enduro fully windproof or is the upper back a different material?

Viewing 34 posts - 1 through 34 (of 34 total)

The topic ‘Recommendations for Warm MTB jacket please’ is closed to new replies.