Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Recommendations for 29er or something like Giant Toughroad/Genesis vagabond
  • littlesprocket
    Free Member

Hi
    Would really appreciate recommendations. I’m a roadie at heart but am currently pregnant so my road bike has limited use left and alas my mountain bike was nicked. If that’s not a good n+1 excuse I don’t know what is. So, to keep riding I’m looking for a bike that allows an upright position, can get me up steep hills, is still enjoyable riding on the road but one that I’ll use going forward. This means one I can use off road on (not overly technical) trails, as a winter bike on crappy roads and for towing little people. I was thinking of the Genesis Vagabond or Giant Toughroad but then got to thinking an Alu 29er may be lighter and just use some semi-slick tires? (on one Scandal with rigid front forks and skinnyish tyres?) Alas, in reality I’ve not got the knowledge or time to build up from a frame.
    Any recommendations or thoughts much appreciated.

milfordvet
    Free Member

The Salsa Fargo has a very high stack height. More than the others. If you want really short you can swap the drops for an MTB bar. They are very comfortable and stable bikes with (better) longer chain stays and plenty of clearance for a full range of tyre size from slicks to plus tyres. They are great bikes. There’s a very long thread on the American MTBR forum. Easiest is probably to order one from Bikemonger: all sizes showing ‘In Stock’. Sometimes have demo bikes in the shop…though that might not be possible at the minute.

Malvern Rider
    Free Member

Yes, Vagabond is IME a very comfortable all-terrain bike, very stable and sturdy and 2.1 tyres laugh at bomb-craters. Over 12kg never going to set the road on fire but depends what you want. I found it to be an excellent climber offroad I miss mine (swapped it for a rigid 29er + an old 531 tourer) but the Vagabond was neither fish nor fowl and now I have two bikes instead

Fargo is similar to the Vagabond, more MTB-ey, and about twice the price IIRC. There’s also the Bombtrack Beyond.

I do have a soft spot for the Vagabond for trails/tracks and gravel though. It’s just a no-nonsense all terrain bike that lugs and loads in great comfort and confidence.

Bimbling singletrack and minor technical with hands on the drops will get your heart racing if you push it even slightly. It got me back into utility/everyday-biking after a long hiatus of feeling uninspired

Moving away from monstercross there’s endless ‘gravel‘ bikes to choose from. The Pinnacle Arkose gets favourably mentioned here abouts, and Sonder Camino. I have no idea how I’d choose a gravel bike these days as the choice seems vast.

johnnystorm

Sonder Frontier has to be worth a look. 🙂

IdleJon

Yes, Vagabond is IME a very comfortable all-terrain bike, very stable and sturdy and 2.1 tyres laugh at bomb-craters. Over 12kg never going to set the road on fire

All this, but paradoxically the Vagabond is a really fun bike to ride and only reminds you it’s weight when you need to lift it over a gate, or whatever.

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

To be honest, I never really liked my Vagabond, unlike IdleJohn I thought it really was heavy all the time.

Much prefer my CAAD-X, I’d actually say the frame has more give and feel in it than the steel vagabond.

ThePinkster

2nd the Frontier suggestion. I’ve in the middle of building my F&F up at the moment so haven’t actually ridden it yet but it sounds ideal for what you’re looking for.

And if you start hitting rougher tracks later you can fit a 100mm suss fork when you need it.

littlesprocket
    Free Member

Thanks so much, I’d not even heard of the Sonder Frontier so will definitely be checking them out. Looks like they may be sold out for now but will give them a call. Is a bit more affordable than the Fargo which is alas out of my budget!

IdleJon

To be honest, I never really liked my Vagabond, unlike IdleJohn I thought it really was heavy all the time.

Much prefer my CAAD-X, I’d actually say the frame has more give and feel in it than the steel vagabond.

Interesting. I was about to say that it might depend on what we are both used to riding, then read your second paragraph. We both have CAADXs!

I’ve still done far more mileage on the CAADX despite only having ridden it in a few races since I got the Vagabond, three years ago. Around here, South Wales, the 35mm tyres on the CAADX were the limiting factor for me. I always wanted something to take more abuse on the loose, stony mountain tracks. It suits the riding I do on it, and fits nicely into my range of bikes – CAADX, Vagabond, short travel hardtail, rowdy hardtail, mid-travel FS. If I can’t find the right bike for the ride out of that lot I’m doing something wrong!

iainc

Another one for the Vagabond, very versatile, comfy, great on a wide variety of surfaces. That said, it hasn’t turned a wheel since I got a Fugio a month ago..

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

The topic ‘Recommendations for 29er or something like Giant Toughroad/Genesis vagabond’ is closed to new replies.