Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)
  • Recommendation for Photochromic cycling glasses
  • keppoch

My Dad has been wearing a pair of Specialized Chicane Photochromic glasses for the last few years but one of the arms snapped earlier this week. What Phtochromic glasses would people recommend for a mix of road and mountain bike duties?

Budget not critical but a factor!

DezB
    Free Member

I use BBB Winner. They’re £50. I’ve noticed over time that they scratch a bit too easily, so you have to clean them more carefully than I did. They transition to a decent darkness though, unlike some others I’ve seen.
    I did have some Endura ones and they went from dark to really dark, which wasn’t great. And the ones I use for commuting (FWE) are light or not so light. Which is fine in winter!
    BBBs have a good range of transition though.

danti

Decathlon do some decent ones for about £25, been very pleased with mine I’ve had for 18 months.
    Previously had some BBB ones which had good lenses but very fragile arms.

mrlebowski
    Free Member

Endura?

Ming the Merciless
    Free Member

Rudy Project Rydon’s.

keppoch

Those are some well-priced options. Does anyone have experience with Tifosi ones?

Potdog
    Free Member

Been using some Rad8 ones. The Mudhugger edition ones also have a fsntfanta anti mist coating.

Neb

Any thoughts on the julbo photochromatic glasses?

simondbarnes

Been using Tifosi ones for years, really like them and have several pairs. The night light lens seems to work best for me given typical uk weather.

Fat-boy-fat

+1 for Rad8 mughugger glasses. Very good.

aP
    Free Member

Rudy Project with the ImpactX 2 lenses. Whichever frame works for him.

relliott6879
    Free Member

I got some ‘Rock Bros’ jobs from eBay. They’re lightweight, comfortable and do the photochromic thing as advertised. For less than £15 delivered, you can’t go wrong.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/ROCKBROS-Photochromic-Glasses-Sunglasses-Polarized-Lens-Cycling-Goggles-Eyewear-/351838458533?var=&hash=item0

hainman
    Free Member

Pretty sure the Endura ones were knocking around for £20

oldtennisshoes

I have a pair I use for skiing. They don’t go completely clear, but you can get different photochromic tints. Decent quality.
    For riding though I prefer my photochromic Oakley jawbreakers.

mooman
    Free Member

If looks are a factor too – then its Oakley Radar Path EV`s. Still the best looking glasses, and the photochromic lenses are great for UK riding.

imn

I recently got some Julbo’s for commuting – zebra light red lenses. Compared against some old broken Specialized Arcterras, Oakley photochromic and adidas plain and mirrored photochromic. The Oakleys and adidas are good if you want as clear as possible. In high wrap frames I found the adidas mirrored ones gave too much distracting internal reflection.
    The Julbo lenses use the same NXT material as the Specializeds so I hope they can survive better than the plain polycarbonate in the others. Transition speed is good, and darkest tint is capable in bright light. They were a good compromise of price, performance and looks.

Clink

Oakley photochromic here. Work really well on everything but really bright days. I would buy another pair.

stevew
    Free Member

Oakley Radarlock photochromatic, wear them every single day for commuting and weekend rides. As Clink says great for everything but not quite dark enough on the handful of blazing hot summer days that we get.

They get stuffed in and out of my bag or worn on the front of my helmet when not in use and haven’t scratched in over 2 years of use, really like the robustness of the lenses.

Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)

The topic ‘Recommendation for Photochromic cycling glasses’ is closed to new replies.