Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Recommend some Lake District riding
  • liamhutch89
    Free Member

I’m stopping in Bowness-on-Windemere on a work team event from tomorrow until the end of the week. I’ll have free time from sunrise until 9:30am and from 5pm until dark, so only a few hours at a time.

My only mountain bike is an NS Snabb 29er enduro bike and I mostly like DH and freeride (which i’m pretty sure I won’t find in the lakes), but anything that can get the adrenaline going would be preferred.

Will I find anything that fits? Is it worth taking my bike?

martinhutch

Is it worth taking my bike?

Yes, definitely.

Have a look at Wansfell from Troutbeck via Hundreds Road, descending via Jenkins Crag.

Or park at Fusethwaite Leat at the bottom of Dubbs Road, climb up and descend Garburn, return via Garburn Hall and High Borrans or Three Rivers towards Staveley.

Park at Grasmere, up to Alcock Tarn and return N-S

Loughrigg Terrace, Loughrigg Fell combo from Rothay. Various more techy descents off Loughrigg Fell.

Strava segment explore is your friend.

I’m sure locals will have more suggestions. I don’t think the ferry to Claife is running right now, but that would be another option with various BWs and other stuff to go at there.

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

Shatners bassoon. Best descent in the area.

liamhutch89
    Free Member

Nice, will check all these out. One potential problem is that i’ll be going on the train and won’t be able to drive anywhere

martinhutch

All of those routes can be reached from Bowness without a car, just wanted to maximise your riding time.

Esme
    Free Member

Catching the train to/from Staveley might give you a bit more time.

The car ferry has been out of action for maintenance, as Martin says, but it’s supposed to running again from today.

Esme
    Free Member

The FERRY CAM suggests it’s not yet back in action.

bigfoot
    Free Member

said on the radio this morning its back on the water for testing and back in use later this week. wether that actually happens is another thing.

Esme
    Free Member

Just posted on Cumbria CC’s FB page:
    Due to the high winds yesterday, it wasn’t possible to dismantle the scaffolding around the Ferry. As a result of this, we have been unable to move Mallard today as planned. Subject to tomorrow’s weather, we are planning to tow the ferry back to Ferry Nab first thing in the morning. We still aim to be fully back up and running and ready to carry passengers and cars by Saturday 30 March.

So no use for you this week, OP 🙁

bigfoot
    Free Member

saw it getting towed up the lake on my way to a job this morning.

postierich
    Free Member

I have a day off Thursday willing to show you a few trails I have to drop a bike off at Alpkit in Ambleside first so could start there.It will be tech orientated with a few carries up

postierich
    Free Member

Sorry read it wrong thought you wanted to ride from 9.30 till 5pm

tomaso
    Free Member

Jenkins Crag and Wansfell are great shouts.

For something more downhill from Bowness you can climb up to station and up on the main road towards Staveley and Kendal and then left over to Dubbs and go up and over Garburn. Get back via the BW from Kentmere Hall up and back round High Borans and along the road to Windermere and Bowness.

martinhutch

OP needs to start giving us some updates. I make it that he should already have done 2.5 rides. 🙂

Trekster

Bike Routes

Take your pick…

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

The topic ‘Recommend some Lake District riding’ is closed to new replies.