Viewing 23 posts - 1 through 23 (of 23 total)
  • Recommend some childrens books (for 8yr old)…
  • the-muffin-man

Our little girl has read all of the Roald Dahl books many times over now, but were struggling to find another author that she really likes.

So what can you recommend that is similarly quirky, well written and illustrated?

Cheers

DezB
    Free Member

We've got Dick King-Smith (author of "Babe") and Gillian Cross that may fit the bill.
    Currently reading "If Dinosaurs were Alive Today" but that's probably more a boy thing 🙂

grievoustim
    Free Member

mine all like "Mr Stink" by david Walliams

Quentin Blake illustrations too

nuke

My son (7) enjoys the Horrid Henry books.

Was talking to him tonight about how he needs more books so looking forward to seeing some suggests…can't believe I forgot about the R. Dahl's books and I'll be getting him those.

midlifecrashes

Beastquest, Secret Unicorn, Harry Potter, Dr Who?

ski
    Free Member

2nd, Horrid Henry books, good range of stories to work through too.

thevanman
    Free Member

We're very into Beast Quest at the moment – may be a boy (and Dad) thing though. Surprisingly though Secret Seven is going down very well too. My wife says try Nancy Drew and Famous five – (you get to do some 'spiffing' character voices with both SS & FF books!! ;0)

Bimbler
    Free Member

My 8 yo daughter is really enjoying the naughtiest girl at school series. Not quirky though, at least I don't think so.

jamesgarbett
    Free Member

Not illustrated or quirky but my daughters loved the Harry Potter books when they were 8

porterclough
    Free Member

Philip Ardagh's "Eddie Dickens" books should go down a treat…

nickc

The "Unfortunate" Series by Lemoney Snicket was a firm favourite at that age in our house.

mogrim

Captain Underpants, Jackie Wilson, Jane Blond…

bassspine
    Free Member

Moomins

CountZero

I can't recommend the books by Catherine Webb highly enough. She's a remarkable writer, with a very mature style and a very sophisticated imagination. None of her books are illustrated, which, in my opinion is a good thing, as it activly encourages the readers own imagination; ‘painting pictures with words’. She writes adult fantasy fiction as Kate Griffin as well. This is the list of her young readers fiction:
    Series
    Leanan Kite
    1. Mirror Dreams (2002)
    2. Mirror Wakes (2003)

Sam Linnifer
    1. Waywalkers (2003)
    2. Timekeepers (2004)

Horatio Lyle
    1. Horatio Lyle: The Extraordinary And Unusual Adventures (2006)
    2. The Obsidian Dagger: Being the Further Extraordinary Adventures of Horatio Lyle (2006)
    3. The Doomsday Machine: Another Astounding Adventure of Horatio Lyle (2007)
    There's a new Horatio Lyle book coming soon, as well.
    What's remarkable about Catherine is that as well as writing she's studying stage lighting at RADA. Her first book was published when she was 14. The Horatio Lyle books are a kind of Steampunk Sherlock Holmes, and great adventure stories, set in Victorian London.
    And no, I don't work for her publisher, I just enjoy her writing, even as an adult.

BlobOnAStick

Some nice sounding recomendations here – I'm going to try them.

My 8-yr old daughter seems to be completely immersed in "the Dragonfly Pool" by Eva Ibbotsen. I've no idea what it's about but she's dead to the world when she's reading that.

Alternatively, as a reading to them book, 'The Graveyard Book' by Neil Gaiman is going down particularly well at the moment.

My (9-yr old) son is absolutely hooked on the Percy Jackson books about a boy who is half human half god (the first one is called "The Lightning Thief") and apparently they cover many of the classics in a modern-day setting.

Hope this helps (bookmarks this thread for future inspiration)

Ben

Cows in Action
    Astrosaurs

bruneep

My son (10) loves Diary of a wimpy kid.

bigeyedbeans
    Free Member

charlotte's web ?

CountZero

+1 Gaiman's The Graveyard Book. Coraline is another by Neil that is really excellent, and enjoyable by adults as well. Although buttons could suddenly prove to be a little…scary.

bassspine
    Free Member

+1 Gaiman's The Graveyard Book – loved it.

Also anything by Dianna wyn Jones.

Talkemada
    Free Member

Hmm, it's been a while since I was 8 (and even longer since I was a little girl! 😆 ), but I used to enjoy the CS Lewis Narnia books, and the Moomins books written by Tove Jansson.

Actually, the Moomins rocked. Proper way out mad stuff.

the-muffin-man

Thanks all – I'll see what's on offer at Amazon!

missingfrontallobe
    Free Member

+1 Horrid Henry & Horrible History books.

For boys the Machine Gunners is a superb read, couldn't imagine it being of interest to girls though, and maybe for slightly older kids too.

Viewing 23 posts - 1 through 23 (of 23 total)

The topic ‘Recommend some childrens books (for 8yr old)…’ is closed to new replies.