• This topic has 12 replies, 12 voices, and was last updated 3 years ago by rakas.
Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Recommend me some lightwight/trail knee pads
  • teenrat

Am after some lightwight knee pads for xc/trail riding. I’ve previously had some fox and sweet protection and both were rubbish due to poor overall quality and constant ‘slipping down’. So what are the stw recommendations for some good quality, good fitting and reasonably priced pads.

chakaping
    Free Member

IXS Flow Evo+

Very comfy, stay in place and offer better protection than a lot of lighter pads.

They are very popular on here IIRC.

richwales

Dainese trailskins pro are very good (for me)

fadda

I have the longer versions of these – the “main” grip is round your calf rather than above the knee, so less slippage for me.
    But I can’t find them in a quick search, so appreciate this could turn out to be the least helpful response you’ll get…

deltacharlie72
    Free Member

Leatt Airflex Pros. Not had any issues with them staying in place. Wore them for 4-5 hours today, didn’t need to adjust them once, and hardly knew I was wearing them. Until I came off and went down hard on my left knee. No drama.

joebristol

It’s all personal preference and what fits you best.

You didn’t like Fox but I find my Launch d30 (not pro with the hard knee cap) the best I’ve had for general trail riding.

Scott Grenade Evo I had before were ok but stretched after a while and probably a bit bulky ideally for trail riding.

If Fox didn’t fit you well I’d probably try Ion K-Pacts. I wanted to love them as they were really well made, but they were too tight on the calf / too loose on the thigh. So the ratio of sizing was wrong for me but might be right for you.

I also hear good thing about POC knee pads – although they are a little pricey.

z1ppy

Keep looking as my dainese trail skins (mk1) are extremely tired and had circled around the select towards the “Leatt Airflex Pros” but I dislike them not having any strap to tighten. As IME anything elasticated stretches after 12months use, and will be next to useless after that. I’m not looking for a thicker pad, as I have some nice RF’s for that, but struggle to figure out if what I’m looking at, are too bulky, from online descriptions is difficult (scouring yourtube for pad reviews, loam wolf has a couple of useful ones)

rossburton
    Free Member

POC VPD Air pads are great in my experience, much better than the Endura pads they replaced.

eskimonumber1

7IDP Sam Hill. If they’re good enough for Sam Hill to pedal all day in… Best I’ve had.

ocrider

Personally I’d avoid Ion pads for all day rides. They use a lot of neoprene in the construction and over time are susceptible to cultivate an odour that nothing will shift, no matter how they’re washed.
    Been there, smelt that…

Currently own a pair of 7Idp Projects. Think of them as a Sam Hill with extra protection for us mere mortals, a kneecap and a strap on the thigh. Probably overkill for xc/trail but light and breathable enough if you’re looking for a do it all set of kneepads.

militantmandy
    Free Member

IXS Flow Evo+

Very comfy, stay in place and offer better protection than a lot of lighter pads.

They’re excellent. I generally forget i’ve got them on and they never seem to slip.

spawnofyorkshire

IXS Flow Evo+

I came on here to recommend them too

rakas

Poc VPD air are the only knee pads ive actually enjoyed wearing; no slipping and they seem to be be holding up well 1 year in.

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

The topic ‘Recommend me some lightwight/trail knee pads’ is closed to new replies.