Viewing 27 posts - 1 through 27 (of 27 total)
  • Recommend me some commuter mudguards that aren’t awful
  • ferrit
    Free Member

For this bike

Ones that came with the bike have disintegrated and looking for replacements.

Must be:
    – full-length
    – to fit 700x38c tyre (that’s what’s currently on there)
    – not a disaster to try and fit round disc brakes
    – preferably pretty robust

I got all excited about these but only fit up to a 30mm tyre – boo!

As a side note, having come from a mountain bike background, road tyre size standards are something to behold!

Thanks in advance…

jimdubleyou

SKS Longboards if you have fittings on the frame (looks like it has).

Elbows

I am very pleased with the SKS Bluemels that I have fitted. Go on easily and stay in place. Ridden mostly on forest roads and river paths for my commute to work. I don’t need much more than that.

chakaping
    Free Member

Sorry if this is a naive question, but why are guards difficult with disc brakes?

I’d have thought the lack of rim brake calipers could only make the job much easier?

ferrit
    Free Member

jimdubleyou – yes, frame has fittings – should be ok with those – ta.

chapaking – see the pic of the bike in the original post – the front mudguard stay has been bent down and under the brake to fit – I’ve had one set in the past that really didn’t like being bent like this and sheared off when I tried. Perhaps user error, but still annoying.

bridges
    Free Member

SKS is the default answer; had a few sets over the decades, and they stand up to untold abuse and neglect. Bit fiddly to set up initially, but then really are fit and forget. Current set on my commuter are at least 10 years old, with no signs of wearing out just yet. Wife’s bike has a set that are probably even older. I wouldn’t look anywhere else for mudguards, to be honest.

nbt

SKS bleumels all round here (road, cx commuter and tandem). the 45mm version will take 38’s no problem. I use the “reflective” version with a stripe along the length and a proper red reflector on the rear

edit – This is one way to fit around the disk brakes.

On the tandem, we have an l-shaped tab that is attached to the disk mount to clear the caliper

Superficial
    Free Member

I’ve had a couple of sets of the SKS thermoplastic ones which seem ideal – no complaints and as stated, the 45mm version will easily take a 38mm tyre in most frames.

I have mine mounted on the mid-fork mount on my commuter so no issue with disc clearance there.

ferrit
    Free Member

nbt – thanks for that – interesting solution – good to know.

Sounds like SKS is the way to go here, good good.

mattsccm
    Free Member

SKS. End of discussion. Even those need a mudflap if you ride with mates. Just look at the pic above to see how poor they are otherwise.
    Many a lamp post around here has some nice relctive, stiff plastic around it. It can become detatched and makes good mudflaps.

benp1

SKS on my arkose. been fitted since 2015 and done many thousands of miles on it. absolutely bullet proof. slight faff getting the stays just right but it’s been excellent

lunge

SKS Bluemels is the correct answer. They can be a pain to set-up initially (I will happily pay an LBS to do it for me), but once done they stay put and don’t rattle.

Add some homemade flaps for full winter effect.

johnnystorm

Sks commuters have always worked well for me and are easier to adjust without cutting the support stays, etc.

As mentioned above, guards that finish 18″ off the floor will always be substandard and some long flaps made from spare semi rigid plastic (tyre packages) will work wonders.

trail_rat
    Free Member

SKS ok as the cheap option.used to last a couple of years max before going brittle and failing round the rivets. Easy to fit

Moved to pdw full metal fenders didnt have to replace since 2015

bruceandhisbonus
    Free Member

SKS ok as the cheap option.used to last a couple of years max before going brittle and failing round the rivets. Easy to fit

Moved to pdw full metal fenders didnt have to replace since 2015

This is my experience…although I have just replaced like for like every time. Think I’m on my 3rd set of SKS on my commuter as eventually they have cracked, usually above centre of rear wheel (repairable with duck tape) or failed at the rivets (this is when I replace).

My front one failed recently which is a first. Don’t really know what happened but it actually detached itself mid-ride.

steezysix
    Free Member

After using SKS ones for years I switched to a set of Velo Orange aluminium ones and the difference is stunning. No rattling, much longer so they keep my feet dry and never need adjusting due to the thicker stays. The price is pretty hefty, but if you commute year round you’ll make that money back over time not having to replace drive gain parts as often.

munrobiker
    Free Member

SKS Edge AL aluminium guards for me – they’re an enormous upgrade over any plastic guard for only about a tenner more, and they look smarter. They also take about five minutes to fit as you don’t have to muck about cutting stays or using nuts, and they work nicely with disks. We have them on three bikes and they’re very dependable.

nwmlarge
    Free Member

No brainer to use these.

I’ve had mine about a year, spot on, quiet and fit any bike

https://www.halfords.com/cycling/bike-parts/mudguards/sks-raceblade-pro-xl-mudguard-set-264488.html

flyingmonkeycorps

I recently killed a set of SKS guards (can’t remember the model – thermoplastic?) at the rivets on the rear.

That said they must have covered a good few thousand miles, been chucked down muddy bridleways and rooty singletrack then bashed up against railings and bike racks, so they’ve not done too badly. And they definitely work.

If I was still commuting I’d be replacing them no question.

Sheriff_Fatman

You can get a Wide version of the Kinesis Fend Off mudguards in your initial post:
    https://www.merlincycles.com/kinesis-fend-off-wide-road-bike-mudguards-195079.html

I’ve run them with a 700×40 gravel tyre and still had plenty of clearance. Much prefer them to SKS now.

remedyflyer
    Free Member

I use mudhugger gravel guards work great and make no noise like normal mudguards do.

droplinked

Another one here using SKS bluemels on the gravel/commuter bike. Iirc I got the 50mm ones which fit a 700×45 tyre no problem, but running a 38mm tyre now.

They also fit 650×47 no problems too.

abingham

I’ll be that guy and say Velo-Orange.

Had multiple pairs on multiple bikes and once they’re fitted (which takes a good amount of time and patience) they’re superb. You get full coverage, no rattles and I think they’re the only mudguards that can make a bike look better not worse.

Oh, and they’ll last as long as the bike too!

Aidy
    Free Member

I was happy enough with some SKS Velo 42s last winter. Long enough for commuting, but would be a bit anti-social for group rides.

ferrit
    Free Member

Superb feedback – thanks chaps!

Tim
    Free Member

SKS thermoplastics. I run them on a disc brake MTB with no fittings (using p-clips and some artful bending of the stays) so they can run on pretty much any hardtail.

Do the job perfectly

hardtailonly

SKS Edge Aluminium. I’ve had the Bluemels before, and they’re OK, but more rattly and I’ve had them break. The Alu ones are very good, look smarter, and not much more expensive.

Viewing 27 posts - 1 through 27 (of 27 total)

The topic ‘Recommend me some commuter mudguards that aren’t awful’ is closed to new replies.