Viewing 39 posts - 41 through 79 (of 79 total)
  • Recommend me an all day capable 130mm(?) Full Suss please..
  • stevedoc
    Free Member

Id be having a look on Orange website at the ex demo rs fours 🙂 a pretty penny to be saved

lobby_dosser
    Free Member

Devinci Django 120mm or Troy @ 140mm great bikes Nick.

chestrockwell

Id be having a look on Orange website at the ex demo rs fours a pretty penny to be saved

Having seen Orange ex-demo’s I can recommend this as they replace any worn parts and re-spray frames that are anything past lightly marked. You could quite easily end up with a bike that looks very close to new.

Yes you have misread my ad completely. That’s for a Nomad frame, which is now sold, I now have a complete Solo CC for sale for £2300 which I have yet to list. Thanks

LOL 😆

chakaping
    Free Member

That segment deal at sunset looks good.

Would love a go on one of them.

br
    Free Member

I’m not sure I agree with your middle point. In what sense do you believe 29ers are more technically capable? I’ve found that 29ers can make things easier and are as much (if not more) fun (sometimes), but this is at the compromise of technical ability. E.g. tackling tight twisty downhill sections and getting around switchback climbs. I suppose it depends on the definition of “technical”…..

I rode the Fort William DH track this week on my Camber evo 29er. The 2 pals I was with (on full DH bikes) reckoned that if you were going to ride a short-travel bike on this track, a 29er was probably the best choice due to it’s ability to get stuck in less ‘holes’.

Glad I’d a Pike up-front though 🙂

BearBack
    Free Member

2017 Spark plus 720 should come in just under that, will be a killer bike that needs nothing upgrading out the box.

joebristol

Completely different, but if after best value for money than the newest Boardman Pro Fs is worth a look. Currently on sale at £1199.20. 130mm rear travel, 140mm front travel. Rs Pike RC Solo air forks and 1×11 Sram GX drive train. Also squeezes Sram Guide R brakes into the package. Just add a decent saddle / dropper post / favourite tyres on and it’s awesome for the money.

I’ve got the previous model which has 2 x 10 X9 drive train / Guide Rs brakes and RS Revelations (albeit I’ve had a longer air leg put in so they have 150mm travel) and I can’t fault it. The new version has better kit and more aggressive geometry apparently. Should be perfect for all day riding bit pretty fun too when going downhill.

Just depends if your friend wants a ‘bling’ brand or not (I get that a lot of people would).

jayx2a
    Free Member

Boardman sold out, just got to find stores that have stock! I’m considering a spec camber comp carbon, but not sure if it will fit yet.

chestrockwell

That segment deal at sunset looks good.

Would love a go on one of them.

Even better is you end up with the upgraded rims, Deore brakes and 2017 SDG saddle mine turned up with. 😉

You’re welcome to have a go if you’re ever near Skipton.

Tracey

Bikescene have got some good deals going on Stumpjumpers at the moment. Worth having a look at and are great guys to deal with.

tomaso
    Free Member

I suppose it depends really on where the all day riding is?
    I think the new Giant Anthem/Trance range looks great, with some progressive geometry that may only be catching up to the likes of Whyte, but more availability and economy.
    Trek also have some interesting bikes with variations of wheel size and fatness.
    It may be more down to how and what he is comfortable buying – mail order or local in person service at a bike shop.

jayx2a
    Free Member

Rather than another thread, I am hoping I can join in!

After 130mm bike too – max budget £2000

T130s looks great but out of budget, same again with the Fuel EX9.. but do like it!

https://www.evanscycles.com/trek-fuel-ex-9-27-5-2016-mountain-bike-EV251300

Other options I am looking at are:

Trek Fuel EX 8 29:

https://www.evanscycles.com/trek-fuel-ex-8-29-2016-mountain-bike-EV251297?esvt=886-GOUKE1046486&esvq=&esvadt=999999-0-126384-1&esvcrea=63402922496&esvplace=&esvd=c&esvo=EV251297-19.5-BLK&esvaid=50080&gclid=CNTW_9Wd3M4CFfYy0wodCywNTQ

Camber Comp (budget for dropper):

http://www.southdownsbikes.com/specialized-camber-comp-29-2016

Wait for the new Bird… but not sure I want to wait till December.

Any other options at 2k max (really want price to include dropper).

Pawsy_Bear
    Free Member

I’d also consider second hand there are some bargains to be had on Pinkbike etc for a budget of 2K. Hard tail would be my option at that price point or Boardman

chakaping
    Free Member

You’re welcome to have a go if you’re ever near Skipton.

Did you get the large?

I could bring my Process 111 over for a big-wheel ride out.

🙂

duff
    Free Member

Jayx2a – this looks ideal if you’re a large :

http://www.bikescene.co.uk/Whyte-T129-Works-8812-77-0.html

jayx2a
    Free Member

Looks pretty good – even cheaper in Medium (depending on condition as ex demo).

jambalaya
    Free Member

@jay Teamhurtmore tried quite a few bikes and bought a Camber Evo and is very happy with it. He rodes stuff all over Surrey from xc to Peaslake/Pitch/.. trails. It certainky seems a lot of bike for the money

chiefgrooveguru

I’d say that ‘all day capable’ is 95% down to the rider and 5% down to the bike – and that 5% is basically a case of avoiding freeride, 4X and downhill bikes! 😉

danrheap
    Free Member

New trek fuel ex. Most versatile bike I’ve ever ridden. And my god the 9.8 is a sexy beast.

fadgadget
    Free Member

Jeezo. Most people will only recommend their own bikes even if they don’t do the same type of riding. A lot of people do their homework and either ride their freinds bikes or get demo’s. Don’t be influenced by so called bling brands as they don’t ride any better and in a lot of cases, not as well made as one of the big brands. Get out there and try some in either wheel size.

torchtaylor

Transition Scout, tested loads last year, and the Scout has the highest smile per mile factor.

Tested:
    Five – A bike (sorry fans!)
    Fuel – Soulless (but very capable)
    Remedy – As above
    Aerial – really good, just not quite my size/shape
    Scout – capable and playf6

What’s with the trend these days of really slack seat tubes – see the two bikes pictured on this page?

Having long legs and a short torso this is a nightmare for me – fortunately my Capra isn’t like this and the short reach that people moan about works for me

Kamakazie

There aren’t actually all that slack if you take a line from the BB.
    The kinked ST make them look worse than they are. Obviously if you have the seatpost out a lot v a little it will have a more pronounced effect.

DanW
    Free Member

What’s with the trend these days of really slack seat tubes – see the two bikes pictured on this page?

The cynic in me says its a compromise to get a CS length that will sell bikes and get the linkages/ shock in the right place without looking a bit hideous.

I would like a straight ST too personally

cymohndee
    Free Member

Wheels on the ground: 2017 Giant Anthem/Trance

Wheels in the air: Transition Scout (the only bike I’ve ever owned I’ve thought about hugging after a ride)

GavinB

It’s mainly to allow for shorter chainstays. If you take that pic up there of the Trek, the kink in the seat tube is to allow the rear wheel to go through all its travel, whilst not interfering with the frame. Longer chainstays would achieve the same, but handling would then be less sharp.

I guess also that as almost everyone is using dropper posts, there is no need to keep seat tubes straight, in order to allow for seatposts to be dropped down into the frame.

It’s not the kink that bothers me so much, it’s the fact that when you have a lot of seatpost showing, it pushes you right back over the rear wheel and increases your reach.

The bikes pictured above would be completely different animals to myself and someone with legs 2″ shorter

chakaping
    Free Member

There’s a medium Smuggler frame in the classifieds.

They’d be near the top of my list for an all-day bike that could do trail centres & handle a bit of gnar.

fr0sty125
    Free Member

Smuggler would be fun but I think the 2017 Trek Fuel EX is about as spot on trail bike as you can get.

core

fadgadget – Member

Don’t be influenced by so called bling brands as they don’t ride any better and in a lot of cases, not as well made as one of the big brands. Get out there and try some in either wheel size.

I see your point here, and have thought the same, a lot.

Big brands have millions to spend on R&D, and a huge wealth of experience and knowledge to work from.

Smaller, boutique brands by comparison, just don’t have the same resources, but they generally take the better bits from big brands, the bits that work and people like, what they like themselves, then package it into their own bike designs. Theses type of bikes are generally more expensive, it’s expectable, just economies of scale, so they need to be blingy and seem exclusive to sell and make a profit for the manufacturer.

Whether they ride as well as the big brands bikes is subjective I guess, maybe they do, maybe they don’t, perhaps you have to mess about with them and put more into the setup? Big brand bikes do seem hugely capable, generally trouble free and just no fuss, they just work, brilliantly mostly.

BUT do I want to buy one – not really, I’ve demoed a few bikes lately, both big brand and more boutique/niche, they were all good, too good for me to pick holes or really judge their capabilites accurately. The big brand bikes seemed a bit soulless, workish, like driving a middle spec. VW Golf, looks nice enough, won’t offend anyone, does it’s job brilliantly, just gets everything done without fuss. Does that make me love a thing and want to use it – not really, not when it’s a toy. A commuter bike, yeah, my trailer shredder 😈 nah mate.

br
    Free Member

It’s not the kink that bothers me so much, it’s the fact that when you have a lot of seatpost showing, it pushes you right back over the rear wheel and increases your reach.

I’ve long legs and long arms, so this works well for me.

chiefgrooveguru

Don’t be influenced by so called bling brands as they don’t ride any better and in a lot of cases, not as well made as one of the big brands. Get out there and try some in either wheel size.

Sometimes the ‘bling’ brands are actually far more engineering led than the big brands, with the latter being more tied to low risk designs and easy marketing. It varies a lot.

Santa Cruz are often vilified as an overpriced boutique brand but they chose to stick with the better engineering solution of threaded bottom brackets, whilst the big players went press fit, claiming marginal gains of stiffness…

chakaping
    Free Member

Big brands often stay conservative with their geometry too, with a few honourable exceptions.

1988ajk
    Free Member

The Kona Process 134 is awesome for all-dayers, and can still handle the bike parks from time to time!

chestrockwell

Did you get the large?

Went for XL in the end as the reason for changing was that the Alpine 5 felt a bit small in L with 750mm bars and 60mm stem. Looks worse, should fit better!

Defo up for a ride out if you fancy it.

chestrockwell

Oh, and agree with some comments above about the huge brands. My mates Camber is a very impressive and polished package with lots of neat touches. Still a bit soulless IMO though.

coffeeaddikt
    Free Member

Had my eye on the bird zero to for a while now but sorely tempted by their new aeris 120 otherwise the orange p7 or alpine would be something of a dream…

Teetosugars
    Free Member

Think I may treat myself having read all this…
    And especially as Yeti have now got some great deals on the go…

Viewing 39 posts - 41 through 79 (of 79 total)

The topic ‘Recommend me an all day capable 130mm(?) Full Suss please..’ is closed to new replies.