Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)
  • recommend me a workshop compressor for tubeless tyres
  • terrahawk
    Free Member

NOT a portable or ghetto coke bottle/Flash Charger/whatever.

A plug in, beefy compressor that has enough ooomph to seat MTB tyres on wide rims without much dicking about. Cheers.

whatyadoinsucka
    Free Member

https://www.sgs-engineering.com/air-compressors/semi-pro-diy/sc24h-24-litre-high-flow-air-compressor?gclid=EAIaIQobChMIgq6PneCp6wIVSbDtCh3r1wV3EAAYASADEgIsQPD_BwE

i’ve had one of these a few years now, its not massive, 24L, they also do a 6L
    Lidl / aldi sometimes have them..

i use mine to dry off a bike after washing too, very usefull and never see a rusty chain

i also upgraded to an SKS Multi-Valve Head Tyre Valve Connector head as i was fed up of the schrader to presta adaptor (or use an old one of a broken track pump)

oldtennisshoes

SGS stuff is good IME, but consider the space you have to put it.
    I bought an upright version to use the space I have for it better.

https://www.lineonline.co.uk/stanley-d-200-10-24v-air-compressor-24-lt.html

Also consider a retractable hose to keep things neat

And a shipping load of PTFE tape to seal the tools at setup.

escrs
    Free Member

Another one here for SGS

Ive got their 50 Litre tank compressor, great for tubeless set ups and for topping up the car tyres, also got an air gun and various air tools from them for working on the car

The 50 litre one is only £25 more than the 24 litre one so if you have got the space go for the bigger one

https://www.sgs-engineering.com/sc50h-50-litre-high-flow-air-compressor

twisty
    tomnavman
    Free Member

Why not something like an airshot? I’ve had far more success with mine where a workshop compressor has failed – you need the quick blast to mount the tire, not a long steady flow like you get from a compressor

twisty

Overall the airshot type stuff works well but is more faff then firing up a compressor.

I’ve got a milKit booster which I found works really well as it doesn’t even have a hose to restrict the flow, BUT this is only if I first put a wrap of tape around the valve stem to help get an airtight seal, otherwise lots of air escapes because there is no rubber gasket in the milkit valve – just wondering if anybody else has the milkit and if their experience is the same?

Poopscoop

Will it only be used for sealing tyres op?

nedrapier

I bought this one a few years ago when it was a little cheaper, maybe £69?

Still needs a little tweaking with baggy tyres, but all the air in the owrld won’t help you if it’s coming straight out again. got motorbike tyres up fine too, and birthing balls. And fires started and drivetrains dried off, garage dusted.

Seemed like a no-brainer when it was the same price or cheaper than an flash charger or something. Only downsides are that it’s a bit noisy, and it’s not really practical for chucking in the car for races!

trail_rat
    Free Member

you need the quick blast to mount the tire, not a long steady flow like you get from a compressor

That’s not how it works.

If your getting a long steady flow you need to change the tool on the end.

The air blow gun into an open valve with the core removed gives you the quick blast. Never fails me . Even where an airshot has failed

Del

we’ve got clarkes ones at work. a small one with one compressor and a larger with two. seem ok.

kayak23

Sgs 50 litre here. 👌

flattyre
    Free Member

I can’t understand why anyone would bother with a compressor over an airshot if it was just for tyres. Takes up space, noisy, can’t take it with you, not actually any better at tyres in my experience.

flicker
    Free Member

either an sgs or aldi/lidl compressor, 24 litre will be fine, they all come from china and are pretty much identical anyway so which ever’s the cheapest.

flicker
    Free Member

I can’t understand why anyone would bother with a compressor over an airshot if it was just for tyres. Takes up space, noisy, can’t take it with you, not actually any better at tyres in my experience.

Because an airshot is almost as expensive and is a one trick pony.

kayak23

I can’t understand why anyone would bother with a compressor over an airshot

You can’t do this with an airshot.

DickBarton

I use an Aldi/Lidl compressor with the volume turned up so it gets a high volume, high pressure release – works first time, every time (so far). It is very noisy, but is in enclosed space and only makes noise when it is filling the tank – which takes about 60-90 seconds I think (I haven’t really paid attention), I can get both tyres inflated to the point where I can’t squeeze the side of the tyre without the tank refilling.

It was the cheapest one at the time that was immediately available – the tool connectors aren’t standard (I don’t think), but they do tools that fit it anyway. I bought a new valve connector for mine so it does presta and schraedar, but otherwise, out the box, plugged in and off it went.

terrahawk
    Free Member

thanks for all the advice and recommendations folks!

(and special thanks for the unsolicited opinions, as per!)

Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)

The topic ‘recommend me a workshop compressor for tubeless tyres’ is closed to new replies.