• This topic has 37 replies, 29 voices, and was last updated 11 years ago by IHN.
Viewing 38 posts - 1 through 38 (of 38 total)
  • Recommend me a watch for mtbing
  • RealMan
    Free Member

So something water resistant, durable, digital, etc. Altitude and temperature and compass and other fancy things would be nice too, but under £30 would be great.

mtbfix

Decathlon do a range of inexpensive and entirely functional digital watches. Very happy with mine.

Northwind

No, really.

RealMan
    Free Member

Seriously?

Junkyard
    Free Member

coatesy
    Free Member

Had cheap Casios from Argos for years, they’ve always been superb, and it wouldn’t be a great concern if I ever did break one.

matt_outandabout

Yep. Had a more expensive ‘outdoory’ watch and it bust mulitple times. Cheap Lorus or Casio job and change it every three years when battery dies.

zerocool

Cheap Casio, Timex Ironman, G-Shock. (Timex IronMan and G-Shock watches are approved by NASA for use in space as are Omega watches)

oxym0r0n

Just about to order one of those Casios – 35% off through O2 priority moments in “new” retro colours – so bright green for me!

Watch Warehouse:

nealy
    Free Member

The cheap Casios are awesome and at less than a tenner pretty much disposable but they’ll last the ages any way. I’ve got the Casio W-86-1VQES Illuminator as the light works much better than the basic one.

RealMan
    Free Member

Nealy earlier?

😀

TurnerGuy
    Free Member

Swatch skin – nice and light so it doesn’t bounce around and thin so it doesn’t interfere with your glove.

BillOddie

G-Shock.

ronjeremy
    Free Member

So what would you suggest then RealMan as the OP said he wants it on a budget so as not to worry about it,

We can’t all go around selling dodgy second hand bike parts at over inflated prices in order to fund a lavish lifestyle now can we…..

Bagstard
    Free Member

G shock is out of budget, so I would say timex ironman, I got one in 2004 to time myself at Fort Bill, then found it in a cupboard seven years later and still working. Those cheap casio’s are a very good shout, cheap, light, water resistant and pretty low profile.

TurnerGuy
    Free Member

you could get a Garmin 200 instead which will show the time (I think) and you will have basic GPS and training functionality as well. about £72 with the rebate at the moment.

crispo
    Free Member

So what would you suggest then RealMan as the OP said he wants it on a budget so as not to worry about it,

Thread reading fail 😆

Bregante

Ermm, Realman is the OP 🙂

keppy
    Free Member

Casio digital for me too, and at £15 from Argos if it breaks it’s not great loss

MadBillMcMad

cheap casio here too.

Also something important to me it weighs next to nothing so does not rattle & bang my wrist.

yossarian
    Free Member

Don’t open the door Nealy

jp-t853

stem captain?

stevemtb
    Free Member

Had my Timex Ironman for years now. Only ever worn when out biking and it’s stood up a lot of abuse. Few scratches on it but it’s handled crashes a lot better than my pads or skin!

Doesn’t do the altitude or temp (unless newer models have really changed) but haven’t managed to damage it or had to replace a battery. Don’t think it’s ever lost time either.

One negative, if it’s the one with the Velcro strap it can really stink if not washed!

IHN

+1

Cheap, light, cheap, slim, cheap, waterproof, cheap, stopwatch if you want it, cheap, accurate, cheap, reliable. What’s not to like.

IHN

Cheap Lorus or Casio job and change it every three years when battery dies.

You know you could just change the battery, right?

ronjeremy
    Free Member

Yep I retract my comments just finished a late night and was reading here as trying to sleep (still can’t sleep) my apologies,

(stw member in realised a mistake and saying sorry as opposed to mounting the high horse and causing a row shocker,

Guess I’ll never fill a big hitter vacancy at this rate)

rogerthecat
    Free Member

Decathlon – big range of cheap watches. I bought a Geonaut for £6.99 18 months ago and it’s now my daily watch.

http://www.decathlon.co.uk/F-308115-watches

rogerthecat
    Free Member

Full on ‘Nigel’ watch for less than £20

http://www.decathlon.co.uk/ae-1000w-1bvef-id_8161851.html

rocketman
    Free Member

A bog-basic Casio I bought as a gift for someone then decided it was so cheap it was an insult 🙂

MTBing is far to dangerous to risk anything more expensive

stgeorge

Cheap, light and strong – pick any two three

nealy
    Free Member

Nealy earlier?

😀

Don’t open the door Nealy

😆

Funnily enough I do describe it as my Taliban watch 😉

It could be worse…

Mounty_73

A Casio G-Shock Mudman, had it for years and it just wont break!

soobalias
    Free Member

Casio F-91W

says its only water resistant. well it resists swimming, showers, drain clearing…… and i dont know what they make the screen from but ive not scratched it yet.

paid under a fiver for mine, in classic black.

reggiegasket
    Free Member

+1 Swatch – light and comfy. Loads of funky colours.

parkesie
    Free Member

Casio as used by special forces i.e the taliban ticker

RealMan
    Free Member

Yep I retract my comments just finished a late night and was reading here as trying to sleep (still can’t sleep) my apologies,

Don’t worry, they made me lol 🙂

Starting to lean towards this despite the STW consensus. Can get it for £35 and it does look pretty cool.

http://www.casio.com/products/Watches/Sports/SGW300H-1AV/

trail_rat
    Free Member

my F-91w looks like its been through a grinder – the screen does scratch or rather – rub down if you rub it down a slide at a waterpark 😀

I wear mine because if at work it catches somewhere it takes little more than a tug to rip it off my wrist at the strap pin – important feature for me.

my Gshock broke 🙁

IHN

and it does look pretty cool

If you’re an eight year old boy.

Viewing 38 posts - 1 through 38 (of 38 total)

The topic ‘Recommend me a watch for mtbing’ is closed to new replies.