Viewing 24 posts - 1 through 24 (of 24 total)
  • Recommend me a trail pack
  • cofiaddict
    Free Member

Old one is about to disintegrate, need about 30L volume, 3L bladder, side pockets and somewhere for pads. Had a Camelback and Source but want to try something else. Anyone heard of Wingnut?

mikey74
    Free Member

I can strongly recommend the Dakine Nomad: Great bladder, and plenty of storage.

thepurist

Deuter Cross Air EXP should be worth a look

Jamie
    Free Member

#
    mikey74 – Member

I can strongly recommend the Dakine Nomad: Great bladder, and plenty of storage.

Might as well close the thread mods as the best answer has been given.*

*Yes i do own one, but yes they are excellent. Had a Camelbak Mule before and the Dakine wees all over it.

snotrag

Assuming that the Deuter Cross Air is a lsightly bigger version of my Deuter Race Air – then I second that. My Deuter is brillian, and as big as I need for Tools/pump/jacket/bladder/cake on any ride.

cofiaddict
    Free Member

Mikey74
    Dakine looks good but spec says 18L volume, reckon i need about 30L, like my food me!
    purist
    Deuter Cross Air EXP looks good value and more cargo at 22L
    Cheers folks

mikey74
    Free Member

I agree Jamie: I had a Camelbak Blowfish before this one and I will never buy another Camelbak, now I’ve experienced the Dakine. I now use the Nomad for mountain biking and the Apex for commuting.

mikey74
    Free Member

Dakine looks good but spec says 18L volume, reckon i need about 30L, like my food me!
    purist
    Deuter Cross Air EXP looks good value and more cargo at 22L
    Cheers folks

Well get the Apex then: Same as the Nomad, but has a 26L capacity.

tinsy
    Free Member

I dont like my blowfish too much either…

It doesnt take much water and what it does tastes funny..

cofiaddict
    Free Member

Dakine Apex in Tartan perhaps?

ianpv
    Free Member

I had a nomad, and the waist strap came off after about 6 months. 🙁

Currently using a camelback HAWG, but htink I will go Deuter when that dies…

Shandy
    Free Member

Yep another DaKine Nomad here. The layout is very good, you can get a couple of extra layers and a days food in there no problem

wl
    Free Member

Whichever Dakine fits the bill. I’ve a Nomad for most rides, but it’s a tight squeeze on big days and in winter, when I use an Apex. Both mint.

mikey74
    Free Member

ianpv – Member
    I had a nomad, and the waist strap came off after about 6 months.

Currently using a camelback HAWG, but htink I will go Deuter when that dies…

The waist strap is supposed to come off: It is detachable. Mine does it occasionally, usually when I am clumsy enough to be standing on the strap when I pick it up, and I just velcro it back on.

TimP
    Free Member

Deuter Transalpine

I have one of these. Got it originally for commuting, and it is really comfortable. The only downside is that it is pretty heavy, even when empty, but can clip pads to the outside and takes a 3l bladder. Tends to get used for hiking rather than biking now

Jamie
    Free Member

mikey74:

The waist strap is supposed to come off: It is detachable. Mine does it occasionally, usually when I am clumsy enough to be standing on the strap when I pick it up, and I just velcro it back on.

I was going to say i thought they were all velcro attached…

singlespeedstu

I’ve tried loads of different packs and none are a patch on the Wingnut.

Once you’ve got it on it just dissapears.

One of the best bits of kit I’ve ever tried.

cofiaddict
    Free Member

singlespeedstu
    Which Wingnut pack have you got and where can you buy them?

stumpy01

I reckon Vaude do great bags. I’ve got the Splash Air 20+5 (it’s expandable), but they also do a bigger Alpin Air 25+5.
    Mine came with a removable, but built-in rain cover and a clip-on helmet holder that to be honest, looks a bit pony (I haven’t used it).
    The main advantage is that it holds the pack away from your back (I think like the Deuter system) so you stay nice and fresh on long rides.

UK-FLATLANDER

I’ve been please with my Deuter Transalpine for longer days out. Very comfy

afmell
    Free Member

I’ve had problems getting hold of the Wingnut – had one on order with ukbikestore (^^^) since December – first they were due January, then they were put back to March. Just hope it does arrive this month – the zip on my current pack is about to go…

singlespeedstu

It’ll be worth the wait.

Viewing 24 posts - 1 through 24 (of 24 total)

The topic ‘Recommend me a trail pack’ is closed to new replies.