Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)
  • Recommend me…..a track pump (sorry)
  • codybrennan
    Free Member

Most boring topic in the world, but I need a new reliable track pump. Will be used mostly for Presta valves, high-pressure for road tyres, high volume for MTB tyres.

I have a rapid inflator so that part is already covered. Cheap pumps seem to fail quickly.

Budget of up to £60 or £70?

ta….

tomnavman
    Free Member

I’ve been really impressed with my entry level Specialized track pump, used loads over the last 4 years or so, and wasn’t expensive.

I think this is the new version: https://www.specialized.com/gb/en/air-tool-sport-switchhitter-ii-floor-pump/p/130417?color=220782-130417

kilo

Sks rennkompressor

BillOddie

Lifeline Professional from Wiggle, lovely bit of kit and not daft money.  Fine for road and tubeless MTB use.

https://www.wiggle.co.uk/lifeline-professional-track-pump/

joebristol

Used a couple. Topeak joe blow 2 was ok, lasted maybe 4 or so years before part of the pump body snapped off so it wouldn’t work reliably anymore. The head that attached to the valve was ok.

Replaced it with a Lezyne pump with the ABS head. Prefer this one as it just screws onto the valve so there’s no messing about trying to push a head on whilst locking a lever. In terms of the pump itself it seems ok so far – but I only bought one around £30 ish quid. I imagine you could get a more solid Lezyne with the same head that has some metal in its construction if you have a higher budget.

trailwagger
    Free Member

get one that charges for tubeless.

GolfChick
    Free Member

Recommendation based on what I’ll be buying next and have open in a tab on safari so I dont forget.

Birzman Maha Push and Twist V. Capable of recharging my specialized charger which needs 160 psi to work.

codybrennan
    Free Member

Thanks all-

kcal

my Specialized one – like above, maybe in fluoro yellow – has been good for last 3-4 years. Relaced a Joe Blow that couldn’t be fixed any more.

molgrips
    Free Member

You can’t have both high volume and high pressure because physics. Unless you are really strong.

I have a Boardman one which was £35 and is superb. It’s narrow bore which means it goes to very high pressure but it’s still good for MTB tyres because it’s easy to push so you can push it faster for the same effort. Best track pump I’ve ever used by miles for both road and MTB. Lovely chuck, no wobbles, only issue for MTB would be the small gradations on the pressure gauge, but I manage fine with my 20-25psi.

https://www.halfords.com/cycling/bike-maintenance/bike-pumps/boardman-track-pump

hamishthecat
    Free Member

The Boardman and Wiggle Lifeline Pro are one and the same I think.

molgrips
    Free Member

I agree, only my Boardman one is black.

Best thing is that the foot and barrel are one piece metal so no wobbling at high pressures. It does 140psi for my track bike and 160psi for my airshot without any effort or strain.

kid.a
    Free Member

I’ve got that Boardman one too.

RamseyNeil
    Free Member

You can’t have both high volume and high pressure because physics. Unless you are really strong.

Actually you can , there are quite a few pumps about that have a switch which can convert the pump between high pressure and high volume .Bontrager do a nice pump of that type for about £45 and if you just want a no frills track pump that does both types of valve they do one for £22 which work really well and are durable .
    I did LEJOG a few years ago and only one person was tasked with bringing a track pump and they bought a Topeak which screwed onto the valve but a few of our group had problems with it unscrewing the valve core when it was being unscrewed .

richardkennerley

I got one for £4.95 from Aldi. Had it 7 years or so, pumps up tyres, tubeless or tubed, road or mtb, has a guage on it, still works.

bigblackshed

The standard answer used to be a Silca Superpista. But since they went “objet d’art” and 10x the price they no longer fit that niche.

Mine that I bought for £30 12 years ago still goes on. There’s a couple on the evilBay ATM, second hand, with an asking price of £99.

Not helpful I know, but I’m out of the loop.

simons_nicolai-uk
    Free Member

I’ve got a Sks rennkompressor with a low pressure guage fitted in the car for MTB use. Feels like it will last a lifetime. Theres a Lezyne Alloy floor drive in the house with the bikes. Very nice, but suspect it won’t last as long as the SKS. You could probably stretch to two SKS with your budget!

Plus an Airshot for tubeless inflation.

I don’t see the need for a high volume pump – most of the time you’re only adding a few psi so some extra strokes aren’t a big issue.
    Guages are only accurate in the middle of their range – the guage on a high pressure pump for road tyres that’s accurate around 100psi won’t be any use for setting MTB pressures accurately.

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)

The topic ‘Recommend me…..a track pump (sorry)’ is closed to new replies.