Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)
  • Recommend me a tent that…
  • mjsmke

Is suitable for 2 people and 2 bikes and under £100.

So far I’ve seen some tipi style tents with the cortical pole in the middle to lean bikes against. Only issue is the cheaper ones are only single wall so not fully waterproof and high chance of condensation.

The best so far looks like a 4 person tent. 2 bedrooms with a small porch so bikes could be in one room. Only issue there is nothing to lean the bikes against.

CheesybeanZ

Take the wheels out and turn the bikes upside down , lean tge wheels against the bikes .

devash
    Free Member

You won’t get anything amazing for that money. Decathlon is probably your best bet i.e. https://www.decathlon.co.uk/arpenaz-family-41-id_8378237.html

carlosg
    Free Member

Are you bike touring? We have a mountain craft genesis 350 the same as in the link that we used for many years ,it’s a good weight for carrying on the bike and fit 2tourers + panniers in the front and still left room for cooking and getting in and out. It is over your budget though.
    http://m.gooutdoors.co.uk/freedom-trail-toco-4-lx-p396810
    This is similar and within budget.

mjsmke

It’s for the pivot 24/12 so only for 2 nights. Just want to be prepared for the rain with shelter.

tomatoevousparlour
    Free Member

Ive an Arcadia 2 with Vestiuble

This has been used for around 7 nights, It comes with an optional massive porch.

The Vestiuble does come in a separate bag.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Golite-Arcadia-Vestibule-Person-Evergreen/dp/B002YNZWKY

and

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Golite-Arcadia-Person-Tent-Evergreen/dp/B002YO3V4C

Would that be any good?

Jon

martymac

For two nights would a tarp/hammock combo not be enough? Assuming you have some trees to hang it from.

spooky_b329

Tipi style tents are not great for internal space, a dome is much more practical.

We’ve got an old tent that works well, the dome is about 2.5m square so you can tuck a bike or two in there (although you’ll need to shift them around to get a couple of camp chairs inside.

The sleeping area is a tunnel that comes off the main dome. Seems more practical than most, where you sleep in the dome and have a porch/tunnel at the entrance.

trail_rat
    Free Member

Are the bikes made of sugar? Options will be significantly wider if you just need one to sleep in.

mjsmke

I have a some gazebo for sitting and cooking in so the tent doesn’t need chairs.

Are the bikes made of sugar? Options will be significantly wider if you just need one to sleep in.

Want to keep them in the tent overnight for security. Can fit one in the car but that’s it.

cookeaa

I’ve got an arpenaz 4.2 Family

Bang on your budget OP, two sleeping compartments and an area in the middle for kit…

Worked well for me and a mate camping this weekend at Afan…
    Plus it accommodates Me the wife and kids for the odd weekend too…

houndlegs
    Free Member

What about borrowing/hiring a van to keep them in overnight?

ransos
    Free Member

Want to keep them in the tent overnight for security. Can fit one in the car but that’s it.

Lock them to each other (or a tree) and keep them dry under a tarp? It’s what I do when I’m camping.

muddodger
    Free Member

If your anywhere near North Yorkshire I’ve got a Hartford XL (sleeps 6, very big) for sale. Complete with matching windbreak, £100
    Last time we used it it was still in very good condition.

mjsmke

If your anywhere near North Yorkshire I’ve got a Hartford XL (sleeps 6, very big) for sale. Complete with matching windbreak, £100
    Last time we used it it was still in very good condition.

I’m down in Kent so a bit too far. But thank you for the offer.

Lock them to each other (or a tree) and keep them dry under a tarp? It’s what I do when I’m camping.

This is what I’m thinking. I might make a simple wooden fork rack so I’ll remove both front wheels then lock them to each other and the rack. It’l be a pain for thieves to get it all out in one go.

What about borrowing/hiring a van to keep them in overnight?

This crossed my mind but as I’d like a bigger tent anyway I want to try and fit the bikes in that. Plus highering a van for 3 days is more money.

At the moment I’m looking at these 2. The frist was recommended above:
    x2 rooms and porch area
    http://www.gooutdoors.co.uk/freedom-trail-toco-4-lx-p396810

x1 room and larger porch area
    http://www.gooutdoors.co.uk/freedom-trail-sendero-4-tent-p396808

cookeaa

Sorry, you said you wanted a 2 man tent, and you also want space to have the bikes upright inside the tent right?

If you and the other occupant can share a single sleeping compartment the arpenaz 4.2 I suggested or something similar could be put up with only one sleeping compartment, as it erects outer first, the sleeping compartments just hook in once the outer is up, I reckon you’d have the space to stand two bikes as 2/3rds of the volume of the tent would now be empty space…

Another suggestion for keeping the bikes upright inside a tent without resting on the sides, might be to construct a double A-frame supported Bar to simply hook each saddle nose under, This sort of thing:

You’ll find variations on that design at Triathlons, bike parks and all sorts, look about for some scrap angle, timber or whatever you can find to lash up your own version…

mjsmke

That’s a good idea! I have a tow bar rack I could use as a stand in the tent and lock the bikes to that.

belugabob
    Free Member

I have a Decathlon 4 man tent, which is (in typical tent spec fashion) great for two, Okay for three. The sleeping section is at one end, the door is along one side, and the remaining section is plenty big enough to hold a couple of camp chairs and baggage etc.
    We put the bikes on my towbar rack, locked them in place and moved the rack into the tent at night, for peace of mind.
    Unfortunately, I can’t seem to find the tent on their website.
    (And I think is was less than £100, too)

Edit:

The Arpenaz 4.2 seems to be the nearest (as suggested by others) – just unclip one of the sleeping pods, and you’re good to go.

Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)

The topic ‘Recommend me a tent that…’ is closed to new replies.