Home Forums Chat Forum Recommend me a Stocks & Shares ISA

Viewing 6 posts - 121 through 126 (of 126 total)
  • Recommend me a Stocks & Shares ISA
  • nickjb
    Free Member

so if it’s not doing well in 6 months time I can chop and change pieces

That’s a really bad way to invest AIUI. Have a look at some James Shack videos on YouTube, he explains it pretty well.

ElShalimo

I know but sometimes it’s useful

For example if I check on the Asia Tech funds after 6-9 months and it’s doing really badly then I can move it to S&P500 tracker

gravedigger
    Free Member

That’s a really bad way to invest AIUI. Have a look at some James Shack videos on YouTube, he explains it pretty well.

It depends how you do it, and it can be called momentum investing – but you need to adhere to a rigid strategy to do it – FundExpert used to do it but he’s closed the subscription down as he is too busy with his private clients.

Funds that start to do well often tend to keep doing well for a period of time, but they set stop/loss triggers on the fund so if it dropped a certain amount it would be sold, and then a period waited before reviewing it or selecting a different fund.

It works but takes discipline to follow the strategy.

Buying and selling the S&P 500 based on whether it crosses the 10 month simple moving average price also has worked beter than just holding the S&P 500.

ElShalimo

So back to my earlier question………

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

My T212 is currently setup like that, it’s split across about 10 different mostly Vanguard tracker funds around the world.

But as other have said, unless you can predict the falls as they happen then all you’ll do is miss them bouncing back.  If  a fund loses 10% one year, it’s more likely to gain 22% next year and keep that ~10% yearly growth than it is to lose another 10%.  If something’s cheaper than it’s average then you should put money in, not take it out. Conversely if it grows 20% in a year, that might not be sustainable and the next year might be flat.

If you can spot those wobbles in advance (e.g. in retrospect India did a fairly predictable -/+4% wobble due to the election) it could be workable. But at 6-9 months you’re probably looking at those losses already being baked in and it’s more a case of buy more and wait for it to to turn around.

dantsw13

What I am doing at the moment on my T212 ISA is leaving the new cash uninvested to get the 5.2% interest on it, plus the 1% cashback. It’s a bit of a hedge on the uncertainty of stocks currently.

Viewing 6 posts - 121 through 126 (of 126 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.