Viewing 24 posts - 1 through 24 (of 24 total)
  • Recommend me a Stocks & Shares ISA
  • thegeneralist
    Free Member

Got an AJBell one, need to open another.
    Had a quick look at HargreavesL and the fees looked quite high.

Anyone got any recommendations?

Cheers

chvck
    Free Member

What do you need from it? Do you want to invest in individual stocks or any specific funds etc…?

thepurist

Why do you need another one? You can just carry on paying into the one you’ve got up to the max 20k pa (but only pay into one each year). The Isa is just the wrapper for the fujds/shares you’ve invested in so you can choose different investments this year as long as aj bell support them with their Isa.

nickjb
    Free Member

Vanguard is pretty decent. They have a range of fund options with ok fees. Just their own products but they seem to do ok

blackhat
    Free Member

Depends what you invest in – market trackers…? Likely Vanguard. If you select investments HL is expensive for unit trusts but cheaper for direct shares.

thegeneralist
    Free Member

Why do you need another one?

Erm, eggs and baskets.

What do you need from it? Do you want to invest in individual stocks or any specific funds etc…?

Was thinking of shares and funds, but I guess I could do the shares in the one I already have…
    Will have a look at Vanguard. If nothing else it’ll stop me gambling and buying dross like Cineworld, Amigo, INTU etc

NJA

Another vote for Vanguard, I also have one with Moneybox.

db

I have HL ISA and Vanguard general savings. Both platforms seem ok to me.

whatyadoinsucka
    Free Member

HL have just dropped the £1.50 fee** per stock to £zero on the regular DD savings, money taken 7-8th month and invested 10th-12th. **ftse100-250 stocks.
    also dividend reinvestments are free (used to be a £1.50 fee)

£13 a trade, or £9 in following month if you make 12+ trades in calendar month.

cheaper options out their, but you don’t always get the bid-offer spread, as with HL the trade is instant.
    On the really cheaper options i looked at, you are effectively placing an order at best, they may bulk orders togeather and hence you arent buying for the price at the time of order placement. ie you place order 9am, it’ll likely be dealth in a few mins, butit could be dealt at 3pm that day, the price has moved.

the HL app has got better in the last year, more functionality, although its lost the broker recommendations info that it had a few years ago.

ps. i laways thought stocks and shares were ring fenced in client accounts,
    hence you are covered. a quick google.

What happens to my ISA if the company goes bust?
    If you hold a fund and the fund manager goes bust, then the underlying assets are protected. The stocks owned by that fund are held separately by a trustee or a depositary, so if the fund manager goes under, the investments in the fund remain

juanking

Daft related question. I want to move my employer shares (share save & match) into an ISA to protect the dividend yields from tax which I want to take as income when I retire. Is it a case of selling them in/from computershare/equateplus and then rebuying them in the new S&S ISA? ta.

whatyadoinsucka
    Free Member

@juanking, you’d be best to set up a regular account (no mgt fee) and an isa,
    for example on HL, you could deposit the shares in the regular account and then they will do a sell/buy back into the ISA for £12.95 fee, max £20k on isa per annum

lesshaste

Invest engine if you don’t mind restricting yourself to ETF’s. Its free.

thegeneralist
    Free Member

ps. i laways thought stocks and shares were ring fenced in client accounts,
    hence you are covered. a quick google.

What happens to my ISA if the company goes bust?
    If you hold a fund and the fund manager goes bust, then the underlying assets are protected. The stocks owned by that fund are held separately by a trustee or a depositary, so if the fund manager goes under, the investments in the fund remain

This is the thread I opened on that a while ago. The upshot of it is me now opening a separate ISA on the basis that it protects me slightly more. (Though the the outcome of that thread was clear as mud.)

Do I need to consider FSCS limits for my shares ISA?

thegeneralist
    Free Member

Looked 8nto Vanguard. Saw this page…
    Screenshot_20230421-111204_Chrome
    Looks good. Really like the bit about no hidden fees

No hidden charges
    No charge to buy or sell funds, or make payments

Then see this bit…

Screenshot_20230421-111616_Chrome

Ah so there are no charges to buy or sell funds, but there are to hold them. But Vanguard don’t put that on the main page.

I recall someone saying anything approaching .5% was too much on a pension, so presume the same applies here.

Wasn’t the recieved wisdom that trackers are generally better than charged for managed funds.

So where can I get some low cost trackers in an ISA?

nickjb
    Free Member

I wouldn’t call that a “hidden fee”. All funds have some kind of fee and they are different for each fund. I think Vanguard have some around 0.1% which is about as low as they get, and TBH your fund should be making a reasonable return that renders these figures pretty moot. My Fundsmith has a higher fee but its up around 80% so I’ll live with that.

andylc
    Free Member

Interactive Investor is a great platform with low fees, although it’s a flat monthly charge which makes it much cheaper in relative terms if you have a higher amount invested. Vanguard is cheaper for anything up to about £40,000 or so I think. But the advantage of II is you can access the whole market, including Vanguard. So bizarrely if for instance you have a Vanguard Pension, provided it’s worth a reasonable amount you can invest it into a Vanguard Target Retirement fund for less than it costs to invest directly with Vanguard if you do it through II.
    Since changing from vanguard to II I have (early days yet) managed to beat the returns I’m getting on Vanguard by about 2% in 4 months, just by investing in worldwide and US tracker funds from a variety of sources like HSBC, Vanguard, Fidelity, Aviva, Royal London and Polar Capital.

whatyadoinsucka
    Free Member

looking at vanguard, as i thought
    https://support.vanguard.com/tutorials/buy-etf-or-stock

you aren’t buying the stock instantly. it goes into the queue and stays at pending till executed.
    I’ll pay the higher fee to get the actual quote there and then and ‘place deal’

thegeneralist
    Free Member

@andylc

Stoopid question, please could you confirm the ii website url?

Just to be sure I’m not going mad

DrJ

I’ve been using Halifax for a while. When I opened the account it was very cheap for regular investments.

andylc
    Free Member

https://www.ii.co.uk/

Early days yet but my self chosen Pension funds are out-performing my Scottish Widows workplace pension and my Vanguard 80% Lifestrategy fund by more than 2% in 5 months. It does get a bit obsessive checking every day though…
    I would move my ISA too but the monthly fees work out a bit higher until it’s worth a bit more.

thegeneralist
    Free Member

Ta.

Weirdly enough when I tried to register it said I already was. Very very weird until I phoned customer service and they told me they had taken over an old trading account of mine from RBS 17 years ago.
    An account I was trying to forget about as I lost absolutely everything on one shit trade :’)

Oh well, inauspicious start is not necessarily an augur

andylc
    Free Member

Better luck this time! I’m still trying to decide whether to open a combined SIPP and Trading account and start buying some random stocks – my pension I’ve just gone with various global and US tracker funds as I’m too clueless to go spending too much on specific shares. Would only in effect cost £40 extra per year but I might end up tinkering too much and wasting my money…

magoos_mate
    Free Member

Trading 212

Pretty much fee free compared to HL and AJ Bell..

I’ve found it quite easy to make money on there compared to AJ Bell where you need to drop seven or eight hundred per trade (stocks) to make it worthwhile.

andylc
    Free Member

That sounds a good shout. Might move my ISA there.

Viewing 24 posts - 1 through 24 (of 24 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.