• This topic has 29 replies, 18 voices, and was last updated 4 years ago by jedi.
Viewing 30 posts - 1 through 30 (of 30 total)
  • recommend me a small USEFUL bike related multi tool please
  • oscillatewildly
    Free Member

got a birthday coming up, and asked for things I can think of as a present, ive been meaning to buy a multi tool for a while

ive got an older very small topeak, which is nigh on useless at getting at tight areas (fouls on brake calipers when trying to adjust in the wild), and is very awkward to hold

so something a little longer that will work on all major bolts in a emergency and be usuable on tight areas

probably priced between 20-30 quid ish if anyone can recommend

Kryton57

Lezyne V10.  Useful, small and with a little attractive leather sleeve.  Mines been useful for years, and weighs about 100g I think.

On offer at £20 at wiggle.

whitestone
    Free Member

I’d look at one of the “driver” systems rather than a multi-tool which all suffer from the problems you describe. Here’s a review of some – https://bikepacking.com/gear/bit-driver-multi-tools/ – not sure if all of them are available in the UK. The Topeak Ratchet Rocket is available from CRC for £24.

The only thing with all of those in the above review is that there’s no chain tool but Topeak do a different version that does – https://www.chainreactioncycles.com/topeak-ratchet-rocket-tool/rp-prod28711 Easy to source an extender bar for hex bits as well.

oscillatewildly
    Free Member

kryton – looks similar albeit a bit longer than mine, still looks like it would foul on my brake calipers, but will try to compare it in hand, cheers

whitestone – now they look very interesting, I like the look of the ratchet style, forgot add I would need a chain breaker too so the link after would be the one, I like that as I use a proper full size ratchet when doing maintenance at home so a mini version would be ideal to carry out and about, assuming its not huge and weighs a tonne cheers!

DezB
    Free Member

Was going to suggest this too – (the Topeak ratchet. Don’t really need another link!)

But then you’d have to carry –
    https://www.chainreactioncycles.com/park-tool-folding-chaintool-w-peening-anvil-ct-6-3/rp-prod110996

£23! I think they were about £12 when I bought mine! Excellent tool though.

oscillatewildly
    Free Member

the one that’s link above has a chain breaker tool too, and looks pretty good from the reviews

DezB
    Free Member

So it does 🙂 Get that!
    Does it have an extension bar too? Looks like that might be needed.

oscillatewildly
    Free Member

not too sure tbh, but I think it will suit far far better than a little stubby one on brake bolts etc, it looks like you can flip it over and put the hex in the other side, so would really work like an extension I think

Merak

I left my bike locked outside a supermarket for a few minutes last weekend. I had imbibed a few pints so it was remiss of me to wander off without removing my tool roll from below my saddle. In that roll was my Cool Tool which I have owned for over 25 years…upon my return the roll was gone I hope the next shite the culprit takes is a hedgehog.

It was the most useful multi tool I’ve ever had.

jsync

What Debz says.

Unless you want to go all posh and have the one with a torque limiter too.

oscillatewildly
    Free Member

Nah not bothered by torques I’ve got one at home to do that

Just for use whilst out I’d never need to torque anything up in a emergency

That tools the ‘one’

GHill

Another vote for the Ratchet Rocket. I’ve got two.

Useful if you need to assemble flat pack furniture too.

jam-bo

ratchet rocket here. I use mine in the workshop as well.

oscillatewildly
    Free Member

That’s good enough for me folks cheers… Thread closed 🙂

nickc

The only downside to bit driver style tools of course is losing the bits “in the wild”

just a thought if you’re a clumsy oaf…(ahem)

tinribz
    Free Member

No fancy chain tool integration but picked this one up from Evans the other day. Compact, light and well made. Also good for tight spaces.

https://www.evanscycles.com/flynt-mt-8-multi-tool-EV304270

Edit: just noticed they have a chain tool one too. Might treat myself.

whitestone
    Free Member

The advantage of tools like the Ratchet Rocket is that you can customise them to exactly what’s needed for your bike with hex bits from a standard hardware set. The disadvantage is, as @nickc says, that there’s a lot of small bits that are easy to lose!

Extension bar: if you’ve got a local hardware store ask in there, the ones around us are really useful if a bit like the shop in the “Four Candles” sketch.

oscillatewildly
    Free Member

nikc – yeh suppose if your fannying around in the wet windy dark one night could easily lose a bit, but given they are just plug in bits im assuming they are generic size so you can easily find replacements, will just have to be a bit more careful, but tbh I don’t use very often, and the one time I did the other night (the move brake bolts) I couldn’t actually access them properly due to the tool fouling on the caliper, so made make this thread, I really don’t use very often at all but would have been a real pain on a horrid wet windy night in the dark pissing around

oscillatewildly
    Free Member

whitestone, I think I may actually have a extention bar from another smaller tool set, but just depends if its the same size or not

whitestone
    Free Member

As far as I’m aware hex bits are a common size, 6mm A/F. I’ve had several sets from different manufacturers over the years and they all work in whatever holder or ratchet.

oscillatewildly
    Free Member

yeh thought as much bud, therefore ive got an extender for it too, and I never use it on my other tool set at home so I can stick it in there ready 🙂

nickc

@OW, sure, I use the Topeak NTX for rebuilding bikes on flyaway trips, and TBH it’s absolutely the best bit of kit for that sort of work. For trail-side I use a Topeak Hexus II which has most things you’ll need (inc a chain-tool) and has tools long enough that won’t foul anything, and handily (for clumsy oafs) it’s very hard to loose parts.

CraigW
    Free Member

The Giant Ratchet Multi Tool looks rather similar to the Topeak version, and only £15. Though doesn’t include quite as many bits or tyre levers etc.
    https://www.giant-bicycles.com/gb/giant-ratchet-multi-tool

alanw2007

Topeak Hexus (formerly Hummer)

Does everything you’re likely to need. Lasts forever.

https://www.topeak.com/global/de/products/mini-tools/350-hexus–ii

Kryton57

I’m struggling to see why anyone prioritises the need to tighten / loosen brake callipers on the trail.  Surely that’s a shed job except in exception circumstances. Or have I missed something?

orangespyderman

I’m struggling to see why anyone prioritises the need to tighten / loosen brake callipers on the trail. Surely that’s a shed job except in exception circumstances. Or have I missed something?

Has happened to me that the brake rubs slightly. Turned out that one side of pistons was sticking slightly. Fixed it properly back home but being able to fiddle with the caliper alignment on the trail made it better in the very short term.

StirlingCrispin

I like the Blackburn Wayside 19.

Has removable hex-head keys and a sharp blade.

Also like the Topeak Ratchet Rocket but more for use in the shed than out on the trail.

granny_ring

Hexus +1

jedi

my daughter bought me one from wish.com for a tenner that goes in the cranks. brilliant kit

Viewing 30 posts - 1 through 30 (of 30 total)

The topic ‘recommend me a small USEFUL bike related multi tool please’ is closed to new replies.