Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Recommend me a good value eBike for my other half
  • ibnchris

About to move house and will need to ride to the station now. It’s not far (1.5miles) but it’s all uphill on the way home and my wife is not on board with the idea of cycling it everyday in her work stuff.

Anyone recommend a good value ebike that will do the job? Any of the Halfords ones worth looking at? Don’t really want to spend more than £500 if poss. Was going to get her an electric scooter but apparently not legal…

TiRed

The appolo is not bad but front drive is the worst of the three options. For 750 the Pendleton has Bafang rear drive and nicer parts. I’d buy that. Your budget won’t stretch to crank drive. It won’t actually stretch to a Bafang crank kit for any existing bike either. If looking used. A Giant Lafree of (unlikely at your budget) a Kalhoff Aggatu are the choices to go for.

You can claim 10% discount if you are a BC member. The membership would be more than paid for.

senorj

Bloke at work has leased one through a council subsidised thing . Essex fwiw, he tells me Suffolk and Norfolk councils are doing it too. Maybe others?
    Sorry ,but can’t for the life of me remember the name . Bike hub or something like it. Cycle hub ??
    Over budget but I was tyre kicking the carrera ones t’other day for the same reason.
    The e scooter may be legal in a week or so! That’s a different thread. 🙂

martymac

I don’t know where you live, but is it the type of place where an ebike will be safe when locked up?
    Not being a dick or anything, but some areas can be prone to vandalism.

chakaping
    Free Member

Sit tight and see what happens about scooters.

You’ll just be buying trouble with an ebike at that price, IMO.

TiRed

I tend to disagree about budget; whilst £500 is relatively little, the £700 Pendleton is a fine bike with an established brand motor. The developments on scooters does look interesting, and personally, I would welcome 250W scooters becoming legal. For a one mile journey they make a lot of sense.

Son2 has just bought a wowgo skateboard. It is likely to kill him!

tpbiker
    Free Member

£700 Pendleton is a fine bike with an established brand motor.

My mum has a Pendleton. Faultless for 3 years. She absolutely loves it. Highly recommended as a cheap e bike.

ibnchris

Thanks all. Maybe we should push the budget for the Pendleton

jam-bo

By the time you’ve messed around getting a bike out, locking a bike up etc, isn’t walking pretty much as quick?

sparksmcguff

Following from Senor J if you’re in Scotland there is a scheme to help people buy eBikes.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

The topic ‘Recommend me a good value eBike for my other half’ is closed to new replies.