Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 53 total)
  • Recommend me a commuter bike
  • monkeysfeet
    Free Member

For the first time I will be able to commute to work on my bike. Not too keen about using my MTB, but I do work on a secure site, so no issues regarding security/theft etc.
    Budget of about £800. I have seen a Genesis CDA which seems to tick a few boxes, but would I be better off with a Hybrid? 10 mile round trip each day.
    TIA

crossed

I’ve tried commuting on road bikes, mtb and a hybrid.
    The hybrid with a rack and guards was the most practical. The Boardman hybrid I use has pretty good tyre clearance so will run 42mm tyres so doing a few bridleways or going along the river on the commute isn’t an issue.

squirrelking
    Free Member

Hybrid all the way, far more comfy and practical. Mine is a £150 second hand Kona Dew with SKS longboards.

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member
    jonba
    Free Member

For me a commuting bike needs to be simple and reliable in all weather. I do 6 miles each way on what is effectively a hybrid.

Cotic road rat, SS, flat bars, 35mm tyres, full mudguards.

Fast enough but also able to survive potholes, curbs, a bit of off road in summer and fit suitable tyres in winter (including spikes).

I don’t think many of the major brands like Trek offer good value for money. Id consider looking elsewhere. A gravel bike is probably ideal, after all, they are fashionable hybrids.

Merlin do an own brand gravel bike which looks good. Vitus on wiggle. Ribble. Dolan.

fasthaggis

Yup,what they^^ said,the Boardmans and Kona hybrids are good vfm and often come up a bit cheaper second hand.Just picked up a Spesh Sirrus for Thing2 to use on his commute in to Edinburgh, full gaurds and a dynamo £350

grum
    Free Member

Genesis CDA would be totally fine also, and is more versatile IMO. That said my partner has a Sirrus and it’s a really nice bike.

yourguitarhero
    Free Member

Full mudguards
    Disk brakes (hydro or cable)
    Pannier rack
    8 or 9 speed drivetrain

MoreCashThanDash

Hybrid with panniers and guards if its only for commuting.

Otherwise a gravel bike. I switched from a Kona Dew to a gravel bike as I used it more for gentle off road than commuting. And drop bars meant I could ride through the motorbike barriers on the towpath that flat bars didn’t quite squeeze through.

matt_outandabout

Full mudguards

Pannier rack

8 or 9 speed drivetrain

+ I would go flat bar

+ Lots of reflective tape and spokey tube reflectors

+

ahsat

I’m having exactly the same consideration at the moment. Also want something for an about town, popping to the shops etc; so I don’t have to leave one of my nice bikes on a bike rack. 10-12 miles each way for me. Need something that can cope with the canal and do hills (800 feet on the way home, most of it towards the end). Also been looking flat bar; but considering hub and belt gears.

hatter
    funkrodent

Hybrid for sure. Something tough that can take the knocks of potholes/curbs/cobbles etc. Steel frame makes sense, tougher and steel is real.

Good brakes essential. If disc must be hydraulic. Imho more important than for offroad, if car pulls out or pedestrian steps out you want to STOP in the shortest time possible.

Bit of a stealth ad, but I’m about to list a Marin Muirwoods XL. Hydro Disc brakes, shimano groupset, marathon tyres. Bought just before covid, pretty much sat in garage since and no longer need to commute! In many respects it’s an ideal bike. I’d certainly be looking at something like that

MoreCashThanDash

10-12 miles each way for me. Need something that can cope with the canal and do hills (800 feet on the way home, most of it towards the end).

Are we neighbours and work colleagues?

Not checked my lottery ticket this morning but Shand Leverett if the win isn’t enough to sack off work entirely

ahsat

Shand Leverett

Hahaha. That is exactly what started me down this route. However I don’t think the 8 speed hub is enough gears. Otherwise definitely 🙂

trailwagger
    Free Member

Genesis Brixton….

Its a CDA frame.

Has full guards.

Low maintenance hub gears.

Full rack for panniers etc.

Front tray for picking up supplies on way home.

Big enough tyres to handle gravel light offroad short cuts etc.

Disk brakes.

sandwicheater

Full mudguards
    Pannier rack

Above has made my life easier.

I did think hybrid when i was considering commuting (12 miles each way, 900ft of climbing each way) but opted for the drop bar bike to try and get into road riding more. I don’t have that much space so it needed to do more than one job.

Can then tack on a decent road ride when the mood takes me before/after work.

Went for a Spesh Diverge and has been a great all rounder, anything from pootle with the kids to C2C.

toby1

I used a Pinnacle Arkose (D1 via bike to work and yes I actually did use it to bike to work daily) comfortably for a couple of years, until commuting became a thing of the past. Couple of job changes later I just need to plan what to do with the dog and I might be doing the equivalent of a day a week with a nice commutable route of about 4 miles each way.

prawny

CDA is pretty much ideal IMO.

I prefer drop bars for long pedals, disc brakes are a must, cable or hydro only matters from an adjustment POV, cable brakes need fettling weekly at least in the winter.
    Mudguards also a must, pannier or big saddle bag is best for carrying stuff.

I’d use the CDA and get something new for fun, riding your commuter at the weekends is no fun, the weekday slog takes the joy out of that bike.

Edit, thought you had the CDA already, still I’d get that over a hybrid.

lunge

Full mudguards
    Pannier rack
    Drop bars
    Lots of reflectors and lights
    Good wheels
    Not to heavy

The latter 2 are often ignored, but we often ride our commuter bikes more than our other bikes so make sure the bike is pleasant to ride.

willyboy
    Free Member

I have a quite dull (looking), but rather reliable Voodoo Marasa.

It now has bar ends, full mudguards, a rack and a dynamo front wheel and B+M lights, and a very good Abus lock.

I did change the original tyres, grips and bars (the original tyres were like anchors, but the new version has different tyres).

ps if you want a 2nd hand one, you can pick them up for £150/ £250 2nd hand on ebay/ gumtree etc.

mrmonkfinger
    Free Member

Full mudguards
    Pannier rack
    Drop bars
    Lots of reflectors and lights
    Good wheels
    Not to heavy

Good tickbox list. Missing only “comfortable frame to body fit”.

Oddly enough, I found my touring bike had all that stuff (bar discs, I find cantilever rim brakes perfectly good) and is a top commuter ride.

Flat bars / drop bars = your personal pref, but, drops have more position options.

Ignore any bullpoop about what the bike is being called this year.

tthew

I commuted for years on a Gensis DayOne with a fixie gear. I finally relented last year and put flat bars, a pannier rack and 3 speed hub gears on it. It always had proper mudguards.

I don’t like it as much as a bike now, but it’s a far more practical tool for commuting and utility riding.

p7eaven
    Free Member

Mileages vary. OP What is your terrain and what are your expectations? Function, fashion, speed, luggage, visibility, utility, maintenance?

eg:

I commute rural and towns on an old 531 touring bike on 30c. It’s perfect for the job, swift and low cost on maintenance/long-lasting on drivetrain. Back lanes and light gravel, side-streets and B roads it loves all of them. £80.00

I commute/fetch carry heavy town/urban stuff on an ugly and mechanically perfect step-thru Dutch bike that has internal gear hub, dynamo, integrated lighting, full length guards, integrated locks, big rear rack, giant sidestand, and puncture-resistant balloon tyres all as standard. It’s wonderful and zen, is always ready and requires normal clothing. Hop on and ride. Upright and highly visible to motor traffic while seemingly invisible to thieves. £couple of hundred

I’ve also commuted on many old MTBs/ATB’s with no issues. Schwalbe Hurricanes or Landcruisers.

Everyone’s requirements are different tho, some people like fashion, some like a perceived ‘status’, others are more race-commuters/roadies. So it’s difficult to recommend a particular type of bike. As mentioned even I (cycle commuted for 39.5 years as of now) use two diff bikes depending on the nature of the commute/utility.

If I had to have just one it would be the retro tourer because it’s light, strong, handmade quality, economical, unattractive, simple and the nicest place to be for many miles. But I’d lose the drops for street-work (I keep tourist bars and drop bars) and refit the drops for holidays. It would also get the dynohub uohrade I’ve been promising for ages now 🙄.

WildHunter2009

Not quite in budget but my I use my Fairlight Faran as my commuter bike. Guards, racks, comfy tyres and capable of pretty much by stupidest summer evening detour home.

slowol

Alternative to the Genesis offerings is steel tourer from Spa Cycles available in flat bar or drop bar and just about in the OPs budget.
    https://spacycles.co.uk/m1b0s225p4009/SPA-CYCLES-Steel-Tourer-Flat-Bar-8-Speed

Edit: in stock too provided you are happy with black or green as red is sold out.

p7eaven
    Free Member

The latter 2 are often ignored, but we often ride our commuter bikes more than our other bikes so make sure the bike is pleasant to ride.

+1

I’m enjoying the 531 w/handbuilt wheels. Like a nice quiet magic carpet ride. Went out for 11 mile commute recently and was enjoying it so much that decided head out and explore/put on an extra 20+ miles on the return leg.

Remove decals, tie a Tesco bag on seat while locked and the dream becomes a beast that is nigh-on invisible to scrotes.

Only once bought a new bike expressly for commuting. It was a cheap yet overpriced hybrid and I very soon found myself hating every mm of it’s being. It was heavy (but then so is the Dutch bike, and yet that rides very nicely) with cheap wheels and just nasty bone-shaking dull-alu-girders hell. Bought it on HP and regretted every costly month I was riding the piece of junk. Sold on before paid for. Urgh. Replaced it with an old Raleigh Apex for 30 quid which was much more fun the same journey time 😎

mrmonkfinger
    Free Member

+1 to the above

Ye olde 531 steele touryng frayme solved the ‘comfort + speed’ problem a few aeons ago.

WildHunter2009

Above makes a great point, prior to the Faran I used a Dawes Super Galaxy Touring bike for years and years. Make great commuter bikes and seemingly indestructible! Mines has 3 x 9 Tiagra / XT mix and will climb anything with patience.

martymac

531, decent wheels, mudguards, rack, discs, older spec gears (9/10 speed)
    Flat or drop bars to personal preference.
    Consider a dynamo.

escrs
    Free Member

I commute around 5000 miles a year in all weather (snow is fun!) for the last 10+ years

Ive done it on my hybrid, mtb, road bike & gravel bike

In summer i just use the road bike (unless it rains) as soon as the weather turns bad i use the gravel bike till summer comes again

If i had to have only one bike for commuting it would be the gravel bike

Having disc brakes, 40mm tyres, mudguards and the option of adding panniers makes it perfect for commuting and can still be taken off road (or on road) after work rides

MoreCashThanDash

Hahaha. That is exactly what started me down this route. However I don’t think the 8 speed hub is enough gears. Otherwise definitely 🙂

Sure they’d do you a Rohloff build.

Spa may well be a good shout, good for dynamo set up as well

monkeysfeet
    Free Member

Wow, cheers for all the advice. Thank you so much guys. I have managed to locate a Spesh Sirrus x 3.0 which looks ideal (also found a Cannondale bad Boy 3). I’ll get some mudguards. Lights are sorted off the MTB and I have a decent lock. Don’t need panniers, just be using a rucksack. Good showers in work too, so happy days. Maybe I can work off some of this lockdown belly too…..

mrmonkfinger
    Free Member

Don’t need panniers, just be using a rucksack.

Yeesh, I just end up with a sweaty rucksack if I do that.

Panniers FTW.

YMMV, if you don’t sweat.

squirrelking
    Free Member

Did rucksack for years, panniers / saddle bag was a revelation.

escrs
    Free Member

If going down the rucksack route then take a look at Dueter ones with the mesh panel that lifts the rucksack body off your back allowing better airflow

https://www.lordgunbicycles.co.uk/deuter-race-exp-air-143-backpack

tthew

Lights are sorted off the MTB

If those are proper off-road lights, do all the other road users a favour and run them on a very low setting and/or pointed down so they aren’t melting the eyeballs of anyone and everyone coming the opposite direction. Multiple smaller lights, in a mix of steady and flashing are most effective. One of the rear ones should be high up, (top of rucksack or helmet mounted) too.

prawny

Rucksacks are the devils work.

My biggest issue is one that no one else seems to complain about, but all of the extra weight of the pack goes straight through your arse into the seat.

Putting the weight on the bike rather than your body is so much more comfortable, I’ve tried a backpack a few times because, let’s face it, they look loads cooler. But once you’ve commuted for a while without one even the best backpacks in the world are just crap.

p7eaven
    Free Member

If those are proper off-road lights, do all the other road users a favour and run them on a very low setting and/or pointed down so they aren’t melting the eyeballs of anyone and everyone coming the opposite direction.

Makes no real difference unless pointed literally at the top of the front wheel just in front. MTB and most everyday bike lights in the UK just dazzle. Turning them down just dials the dazzle down but doesnt remove it. Pointing them at the wheel is unsafe for you as a rider.

Cycle-lighting for road-use is virtually non-existent/an unaddressed issue in the UK, even this late in the day. 90% of lights reviewed on roadie forums are just unfocussed dazzly round beams with no cutoff or decent road coverage/throw, It’s a sorry state of affairs.

+1 also for rucksacks being shite. In short experience has taught me to buy a bike that rides well whatever the looks, rather than one rides not as well but looks spanking smart, and to also spend more on decent (pref dyno) lighting and luggage. Not a prob with OPs generous budget I realise, but as a general rule I’d recommend absolutely not skimping on lighting at least, even if it meant cost-cutting on the bike purchase as a result.

toby1

Putting the weight on the bike rather than your body is so much more comfortable

All day long. Once I started doing this I would never even conceive going back!

As for lights, depends on your route, quite a bit of mine was unlit roads, so you want to be able to see where you are going as well as be seen!

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 53 total)

The topic ‘Recommend me a commuter bike’ is closed to new replies.