Viewing 13 posts - 41 through 53 (of 53 total)
  • Recommend me a commuter bike
  • steezysix
    Free Member

I think panniers and a dynamo are a must for regular commuting. Dependable lighting and less weight on your shoulders/sit bones mean you will arrive at work and home a lot more comfortable. Full length mudguards with long rain flaps will keep your feet drier, also help to minimise drivechain wear which is a big help in these times of component shortages! Flat/swept bars are nice for a head up position, I just put some Ritchie Kyote bars on mine which are super comfortable.

Also, get in the habit of packing the bike and organising your riding clothes the night before. It will make you a lot less likely to chicken out of riding when the weather looks manky!

irc

My commuter was an Edinburgh Revolution 1*9. Enough gears for Glasgow.

Most stuff in one panniers. Light stuff in a small rucksack with a large Scotchlite Patch on the back.
    Triple rear lights. 1 on seatpost. Two on aluminium tube attached to back of rack so lights were near handlebar width apart. To try an make the bike look wider at night . Whether it worked who knows but I had no near Misses at night.

matt_outandabout

Did rucksack for years, panniers / saddle bag was a revelation.

Reluctantly, I agree.

lunge

A few additional notes:

Panniers are a revelation. You’ll try a backpack and be fine with it, but at some point you’ll get curious and will realise what you’ve been missing.

Tyres are a hotly debated topic, but for me, I will happily forgo a touch of puncture resistance for a tyre that doesn’t feel rubbish and/or has no grip (hello Schwalbe Marathon/Conti Gatorskin).

Lights have different needs to MTB lights, and to a degree, a few smalls ones are better than 1 big one. Their main focus is for you to be seen and not for you to see. I have 4 on the back (2 flashing, 1 constant, 1 on the helmet) and 3 on the front (one quite powerful one, one flashing and 1 other on my helmet). USB chargeable makes sense for the desk jockey’s amongst us. I’m also a big fan of spoke reflectors as they give some additional visibility from the side.

And finally, a quite lightweight hi-viz gilet is a brilliant bit of kit. Can be worn in a huge range of conditions and IMO you’re more likely to wear it than the standard bright yellow waterproofs.

fasthaggis

Panniers are a revelation. You’ll try a backpack and be fine with it, but at some point you’ll get curious and will realise what you’ve been missing.

Not for me,I really dislike panniers.

euain

It’s STW so here’s what I have – I’m very happy with my Whyte Portobello – Link to it

It is kitted out with mudguards, lights etc. Could take a rack but I’m never carrying that much.

It lived in a locker at the Park and Ride and was doing me well for the year up until Covid arrived. Not so useful as I’ve not been into the office since March 2020.

doris5000

why are people recommending dyno lights? I’m out of the loop because the last time I tried a set (1992) they just went off whenever you stopped at a junction, so weren’t really ideal. But I imagine they’ve got better since.

I just use those USB rechargeable ones these days.

Also, what tyres do commuters on 26″ wheels use? Need to be able to handle a bit of slightly muddy bridleway at times.

yourguitarhero
    Free Member

Those highly reflective jackets you get now are, from a driver’s point of view, totally amazing.

Also pedal reflectors. There’s something about the motion that really jumps out in a busy environment

mick_r

Hub dynamo lights are fantastic. Always work. Minimal drag. Modern German spec led ones have proper optics so light the road very effectively but don’t dazzle. Built in capacitor keeps them on for a few minutes when stopped. And they are as near as you can get to being legal if it came to a court case (unlike 99% of lights).

The always on function has been a big plus – even in summer the daytime light is definitely more noticeable to drivers.

p7eaven
    Free Member

Not for me,I really dislike panniers.

I’m not crazy about panniers except for getting big grocery shops or touring.

I still hate rucksacks more though, even moderately weighted. But I absolutely love my expandable rackpack with fold-out mini-panniers. Still using the same (Agu) one from 20+ years ago and no sign of it wearing out. Fit and forget, it just sits behind and doesn’t flap about or cause wind bother. Attaches with 4 velcro straps underneath and has a shoulder strap and rain cover if required. Expands upwards and the two mini panniers fold out, also via zipped with zipped openings on the panniers themselves. Inside is padded with a removable velcro panel to organise stuff if required. Not sure if Agu still make them but there are similar out there. I’d be lost without it for regular commutes.

p7eaven
    Free Member

Also, what tyres do commuters on 26″ wheels use?

Ba

I used to use Schwalbe Landcruiser or Hurricane. The latter when commuting farm tracks and country lanes all winter. No good in deep mud or wet grass but gravelly/muddy patches are fine, plenty of volume for off-road excursions and yet still swift on the tarmac thanks to the slick centre-strip

midlifecrashes

Those highly reflective jackets you get now are, from a driver’s point of view, totally amazing.

Also pedal reflectors. There’s something about the motion that really jumps out in a busy environment

The reflective strip on loads of commuter tyres is great too, makes you very bike shaped in the dark.

Viewing 13 posts - 41 through 53 (of 53 total)

The topic ‘Recommend me a commuter bike’ is closed to new replies.