Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Recommend me a book
  • mattkkitch

Looking for some reading material inspiration. My usual tactic is to go to the adventure section of a book store and find something interesting, but not really liking online store searches.

Looking for something similar to The Places in Between by Rory Stewart.

zippykona

Lone Rider by Elspeth Beard. No idea if it’s like your book but it is an utterly gripping story of a lady riding her motorbike around the world.

The motorbike bit is enough to make it interesting but  her relationships add a whole extra dimension to her story. Bit of a dusty ending.

globalti
    Free Member

Possibly my favourite ever cycling book: The Escape Artist by Matt Seaton. A good but short read that will give you an insight into the lore of road racing.

hols2
    Free Member

null

YoKaiser
    Free Member

Jupiter’s travels by Ted Simon. Cracking snapshot of the world as it was.

Malvern Rider
    Free Member

^ +1 Jupiter’s Travels

CountZero

Anything by Robert Macfarlaine, particularly ’Mountains Of The Mind’, basically about mountains and mountaineers.
    His other books are all about the outdoors, well except for ‘Underland’, which is about caving.
    https://www.waterstones.com/author/robert-macfarlane/172313
    If you want a cycling book that’s a bit different, then ‘Riding In The Zone Rouge’ is certainly an interesting read, about riding the route followed by the riders in the first bike race after WW1 ended, the details of what the riders had to contend with, and what they got up to are eye-opening!

duncancallum
    globalti
    Free Member

++1 Jupiter’s Travels.

The short BMW Motorrad Youtube video on Elspeth Beard is good but God what an irritating vocal fry she affects. That would prevent me watching a film or seeing her lecture.

jim25

I’m not a big reader normally, but with plenty of time in my hands now so will look into some of these.

I read a book called “Bounce” last year , about championship table tennis players and why so many have come from the same small town, was interesting

stripeysocks
    Free Member

Paolo Rumiz
    The Fault Line: Traveling the Other Europe, from Finland to Ukraine
    It took a while to get through this because I kept on going, “Oh that’s interesting, never heard of that before!” and diving down rabbitholes e.g. about Old Believers / Karelia / Kaliningrad / Belarus border customs regulations / & so on.

mattkkitch

Great suggestions. Tim Simons rings a bell so will order that. @stripeysocks very much sounds like what I’m after.
    Thanks all

mattkkitch

@stripesocks
    Thanks a lot for this recommendation, just finished The Fault Line and really enjoyed it. Rumiz’s writing is poetic and made me nostalgic for places I’ve never been.

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

The topic ‘Recommend me a book’ is closed to new replies.