• This topic has 21 replies, 11 voices, and was last updated 7 years ago by xora.
Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)
  • Recommend me 2 laptops please.
  • tymbian
    Free Member

1 for my 15 year old lad for school. Windows 10 ( notebook out of the question? ) & hub for usb storage stick thingy a must.

1 for myself, I need it for email, browsing, be able to run Excel ( tax return purposes ) or a specific program for it, have storage plus usb storage stick port…

Certainly not flush this month..

cranberry
    Free Member

A pair of Alienware 18s should be suitable for both tasks.

What with you not having given a budget or anything.

tthew

Refurbished from Tier1 or Gigarefurb will get you a couple at a reasonable price.
    Tier1 send out a 5% discount code after buying a computer for a bit of discount on the second if you buy separately, (or did a few months ago).

Cougar

You’d be hard pressed to buy a laptop which couldn’t do those tasks, given that it’s what anyone who ever bought a laptop in the last twenty years wants to do with one.

Usual advice is to look at Lenovo for build quality and Dell Outlet for offers.

tymbian
    Free Member

Alienware would be nice.
    Did I mention that I’m not flush this month..
    I dont think the yoga thing has a keyboard.
    Pricewise ive no idea but if i can get away with 200 to 300each that’d be good.

jamiep
    Free Member

I dont think the yoga thing has a keyboard.

It does. It is a laptop with a rotating touchscreen to also use as a tablet

jonnyboi

yoga or yoga 2 is a good shout. hasa fully rotating keyboard that disables itself in tablet mode and operates like a laptop.

Very reliable, robust and not too heavy. we have around 1000 in work.

tymbian
    Free Member

What’s ssd?

jimdubleyou

What’s ssd?

Solid State Disk

Instead of a hard drive. Much faster.

http://www.laptopmag.com/articles/laptop-buying-guide

tymbian
    Free Member

Will the above yoga run W10 including updates?

Toasty

I don’t see why not, we’ve upgraded everything to Windows 10 including an old Surface Pro 2 which is a similar spec.

On which note, you can still upgrade for free using:

https://www.microsoft.com/en-gb/accessibility/windows10upgrade

xora

Will the above yoga run W10 including updates?

My 3.5 year old one does, so any newer one certainly.

Been a rock solid machine for all that time too. Just now starting to show signs of wear and tear but its been round the world 3 times now so Ill let it off!

tymbian
    Free Member

Am i going to need to buy W10 and office( mainly Excel ) extra to the 2 units?

oldnpastit

If my experience is anything to go by, laptops bought for 15 year-olds tend to have quite a short and brutal life, brought to an abrupt end by a screen-to-floor collision experience. With more than one son.

I would try to get something either very cheap, like a Chromebook, or made of steel. Chromo would be OK, no need to go for anything fancy like 531.

Cougar

No. Yes.

tymbian
    Free Member

Can you tell that computers arent my bag?

tthew

1. No
    2. You could get get an Office 365 subscription for £6/month. Which I reckon you could share without too much trouble.

tymbian
    Free Member

The sales person at PC World says that office 365 is only for 1 pc/laptop..dont know how true that is..
    As i only really need a spreadsheet calculation program thing is thete a free one i can use thats compatible with excel on my Mac?
    As a first time windows user since NT can you recommend me an Anti virus phishing everything package?

tthew

Windows Defender and Anti Virus is just fine, and all built in.

I like Libreoffice as a free office suite, and not had any file compatibility issues with PC version MS Office. I imagine if you are only doing simple financial type spreadsheets it’d be portable to/from Mac, but I’ve never done that personally.

You can buy multi-user versions of Office 365, but we installed the free first month on my daughters Laptop, then logged into her 6th form supplied account on that computer. It’s worked fine ever since, so one account across multiple PC’s seems OK, as long as you don’t mind sharing the cloud storage with the other user. I think.

jambalaya
    Free Member

OP use google docs spreadsheet, pretty good and Inthink you can send / import into Excel, worth a try. I am a Mac fan but the Apple free spreadhseet (numbers) is a bit clonky but it can “export to Excel”. The word processing app Pages is excellent fwiw.

xora

is thete a free one i can use thats compatible with excel on my Mac?

Yes and no, Libreoffice and Google docs are compatible to some degree but break down very rapidly when you get to complex operations. If your a power excel user then they won’t cut it (unless you port all your spreadsheets). But if you just looking for basic calcs on data they should be fine.

Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)

The topic ‘Recommend me 2 laptops please.’ is closed to new replies.