Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 46 total)
  • Orange prototype 150mm 29er
  • chakaping
    Free Member

On show at Eurobike, along with a 135mm 29er.

Hope this makes it to production, there are no long travel 29ers with the geometry I’d like at the moment and I reckon Orange are likely to get it spot on.

chiefgrooveguru

Is it a prototype if it says ‘Orange’ and not ‘Strange’ on it?

stevomcd
    Free Member

The Orange dudes were pretty keen on getting this out there when we spoke to them recently. The reckon the 29’r Alpine Five was a bit ahead of its time and there has been a lot of demand recently to bring it back!

chakaping
    Free Member

Sign below says Strange 150.

Singletrack caption says: “First look at the all new Orange Strange 29er bikes at Eurobike 2016. Meet the Orange Strange 135 (140/135) and Orange Strange 150 (160/150).”

chakaping
    Free Member

The Orange dudes were pretty keen on getting this out there when we spoke to them recently. The reckon the 29’r Alpine Five was a bit ahead of its time and there has been a lot of demand recently to bring it back!

Yep I reckon 29in could be the next big thing.

😉

thepodge
    Free Member

chakaping – I reckon Orange are likely to get it spot on.

really? They always seem a bit non-committal on the 29er front for me, seem to throw out something mildly interesting but not quite there every couple of years then drop it just as quick.

chestrockwell

Well their first was the Gyro which was replaced with the Segment and the other full suss the 5 29/ Alpine 5 which they seem to be about to resurrect after a brief time away so I don’t think your point stands Podge.

These are a bit late for me having just replaced the Alpine 5 with a Segment but interested to see what they’re like.

thepodge
    Free Member

Gyro – 2012 to 2014
    Segment – 2015 to now
    Five 29 – 2013 to 2014
    Five alpine – 2015

4 bikes in 4 years, 3 of which are discontinued is hardly showing confidence in their abilities.

chakaping
    Free Member

They’ve had a change of management, haven’t they? Seem much more focused on what riders want now.

These are a bit late for me having just replaced the Alpine 5 with a Segment but interested to see what they’re like.

I could see the Segment and the 150mm 29er covering all the bases for a lot of riders.

scandal42
    Free Member

Worried about Cotic taking too much market share?

chakaping
    Free Member

I may be wrong, but I get the impression they’re making the bikes that they (and their customers) want to ride.

Dark-Side

Five 29 – 2013 to 2014
    Five alpine – 2015

To be fair, this was the same frame/bike, it merely received a decal change.

Gotama
    Free Member

Is anyone skilled enough to blow up that geometry table or point me to a site I can read it. Ta

cokie

Is anyone skilled enough to blow up that geometry table or point me to a site I can read it. Ta

I can’t find a high enough resolution photo to do that for you, sorry!

chakaping
    Free Member

You need to get someone at Eurobike to take a closer pic.

Or just give Orange a bell and ask them?

ton

i like that…might buy one when they come available….. 😀

simon80
    Free Member

Really like the look of this.
    Contender for next bike!

chestrockwell

Gyro – 2012 to 2014
    Segment – 2015 to now
    Five 29 – 2013 to 2014
    Five alpine – 2015

4 bikes in 4 years, 3 of which are discontinued is hardly showing confidence in their abilities.

Eh? As mentioned, the 5 29 and Alpine were essentially the same bike and the Segment a direct replacement for the Gyro. add to that the 29″ Clockwork that’s been in the range for years now and I have to wonder what you’re on about.

Not convinced I want to lose travel but the lighter weigh of my new Segment should be a bonus. If I miss the travel one of the new bikes will defo be on the radar in a year or two.

Northwind

The Five 29/Alpine Five was bloody good, too- best Orange I’ve ever ridden, beat the pants off every Five I’ve had a go on. Geometry is still very current if a bit conservative (longer than a Jeffsy with 5mm less reach, frinstance). I never found one at a price I liked but I’d have happily owned one otherwise.

I think it just didn’t sell… People seemed unsure what it was supposed to be. So did Orange- is it a Five, is it an Alpine?

chestrockwell

Buy my frame if you want Northwind. 😉

thepodge
    Free Member

I’m on about the fact that Orange can’t build a full suspension 29er without replacing it or renaming it and even then it’s likely to be dropped after one or two years. I don’t know of any other brand that has such a short product run, strikes me that they either aren’t interested or can’t do it.

johnnystorm

Or their in house manufacturing mean they can quickly change designs rather than have to get the money’s worth out of a carbon mould or sign a contract for a billion units before someone in Taiwan will build it.

Would you think they were more sensible to keep on building the Gyro as it first appeared rather than evolve the segment?

chakaping
    Free Member

They just don’t have to commit to the same three-year product cycles as other brands – they can change designs whenever they like.

Haven’t they had about four versions of the Five in as many years? Maybe five if you count the 29er.

Northwind

chestrockwell – Member

Buy my frame if you want Northwind.

I hearts my remedy now, too late.

thepodge
    Free Member

They could have evolved the Gyro into the modern bike, they didn’t rename the five every time it changed. Just doesn’t show a willingness to commit to me.

chiefgrooveguru

When creating new products you only hold onto an old name when it adds brand value. Thus far the Orange 29ers have been a bit niche, so new model, new name. But then again we don’t know what these prototypes will be called.

julioflo
    Free Member

This is good news

thepodge
    Free Member

More info on the front page now.

As suspected, very middle of the road geo for the 135.

CheesybeanZ

As suspected, very middle of the road geo for the 135.

Should suit plenty of middle of the road middle aged riders then .

Where do I sign .

stevedoc
    Free Member

Couldn’t sleep lastnight thinking of ways to make this mine without loosing one of my others to help fund it, missed out out the Alpine fives and been searching for a frame build for ages but this adds a whole new perspective on my predicament.

I think the 135mm will be their take on the four with bigger wheels and ideal of the UK, but I’d just go large for the poops and giggles factor

Northwind

TBH one thing Orange are generally very good at, is making big honkin bikes that still work on easier stuff. I testrode the Five 29 at Glentress and at Fort William and no surprise that it shone at the Fort but it was absolutely brilliant fun on simple reds too. (Despite the poundshop tyres and stupid narrow bar “upgrade” they’d put on it)I think a lot of people were put off that bike thinking it’d be a monster truck.

hora
    Free Member

part from the colour that’s like respraying a MKII Focus and saying it’s ‘new’.

chestrockwell

How’s that then hora?

mrhoppy

Chestrockwell, if you’re selling I’m interested. Got any details?

LMT
    Free Member

I do like a good orange, would love a segment but they don’t come in a small frame size which isn’t great tbh, had a test run on a four recently and that was a blast to ride, quite possibly my next bike once the dreaded c word is out of the way and we are into next year.

andyjh

Have to say that I absolutely love my Five29 and I can use it for everything, mid week XC rides, blast around local single track, big days out in Afan and going large at bike parks. Such a versatile bike and if these loose a bit of weight and bring the geo bang up to date, they will be ace. Spoke to them last week and they said a bit more testing and they should be available early next year, can’t wait.

chestrockwell

Chestrockwell, if you’re selling I’m interested. Got any details?

Sorry dude, the 5 29 frame went to a new home in Scotland a few weeks back. Great bikes, as is my new Segment. 🙂

cupid-stunt
    Free Member

One of our guides has this very bike out in Verbier at the moment, it blows his Enduro 29er out of the water on the ups and downs.
    An amazingly fast bike.

DaveyBoyWonder
    Free Member

Kev Duckworth of PMBA fame has one too and I think I read his initial impressions are very good.

wl
    Free Member

Just last week been guided in the Alps by a pro guide riding a long travel Orange 29er and he said it was amazing. He was basically blown away. He was ridiculously quick on it, and that included on some mental techy trails. Bike looked ace too (for a 29er, obviously).

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 46 total)

The topic ‘Orange prototype 150mm 29er’ is closed to new replies.