• This topic has 34 replies, 27 voices, and was last updated 4 years ago by eskay.
Viewing 35 posts - 1 through 35 (of 35 total)
  • Recommend a shoe drying device please
  • wordnumb
    Free Member

Couple of people in the “best cycle-related thing you bought” thread have said shoe drier. Can anybody recommend a not-expensive simple and effective gadget that just works?
    Ta muchly.

bloodyshins
    Free Member

I had a brilliant one from Clas Ohlson but it died after 4 years service and now they’re discontinued. I’ve found the best ones are the forced air type. Basically a very low powered hair dryer with two or more flexible hoses that you shove into the shoe. You can get ones that are just a heating element that goes into the shoe and ones that use a desiccant like silica gel but they’re not as good.

dangeourbrain
    Free Member

I’ve one very much like this without the long dongle bits on the end. Works very well.

HOMCOM Shoe Boot Dryer Electric Hot Air Warmer Heater Disinfectant Wall Mounted Portable White https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B019DDFATU/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_i_jh54Db607C6XZ

I’ve also one of these in the office, it’s not very effective but it does at least warm my wet shoes through so they’re less minging to put on at home time

220V 10W EU Plug Race Car Shape Voilet Light Shoe Dryer Protector Odor Deodorant Dehumidify Device Shoes Drier Machine Heater https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B07JH5W13L/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_i_rj54Db792DVDA

scotroutes

I bought a Maxxdry from Amazon back in the “spring”. Can’t believe I’ve never considered one before.

jekkyl

The radiator in the utility room 👍

n0b0dy0ftheg0at
    Free Member

Uppermost ironing board legs in the immersion cupboard, with insoles loose on shelf. 😉

RustyNissanPrairie

Husqvarna boot dryer from Amazon. 2x blue coloured small heater type things that’s you shove inside. Dries my hiking boots gently overnight – beware of too much heat drying out and damaging the leather.
    ~£20

CraigW
    Free Member

The silicon sock things work quite well. Better than just putting them on a radiator anyway.

tjagain

Reduce, reuse, recycle. Stuff with newspaper, put on radiator

Esme
    Free Member

It obviously depends on where you want to use them!
    At home, or on a camping trip with no electricity?

jameso

Boot bananas? Not tried them, just saw them in the BMC mag this month

Winter Sports Moisture Absorbers

FunkyDunc
    Free Member

Shoe drying racks

I bought this one

Forced air boot dryer, shoe dryer, and glove dryer works simultaneously on up to four garments https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B01LZEF17K/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_i_8H84Db206PEY5

Way better than the radiator as doesn’t damage the shoes and stuff doesn’t smell either. Overpriced for a crap hairdryer but wouldn’t be without it now

plus-one

Newspaper and left under radiator for couple of days. Use spare shoes(every cyclist has second pair of shoes ?) if your out next day 🙂

mattbee

In the motorhome we stuff them with puppy pads and then put them in the locker nearest the heating. Usually dry overnight unless proper soaked.

Kamakazie

Boot bananas? Not tried them, just saw them in the BMC mag this month

These are great for sweaty climbing shoes but they’d wouldn’t last trying to dry out wet cycling shoes.

wordnumb
    Free Member

Reduce, reuse, recycle. Stuff with newspaper, put on radiator

For years this has been my approach TJ, combined with a waterproof sock the next day. It worked best when we received a free newspaper.
    This is for home use. And yes, I have multiple pairs of riding shoes, but I’d rather limit the destruction to one pair this winter.
    Cheers for the links.

chakaping
    Free Member

I have the same one as mattbee, it’s waaaaay better than sticking shoes on the radiator. Recommended.

Richie_B

+1 for Husqvarna boot dryer

Fine for cycling boots but not always fully effective over night for heavy walking/work boots but at least they are toasty warm when you put them on so it takes the grimness out of the damp.

jruk
    Free Member

Plant based cat litter in socks inside boots + airing cupboard. Warm toastie boots mmm….

squirrelking
    Free Member

I’m also with TJ, with a decent heat my wringing wet shoes are dry in an 8 hour shift. The same heat without paper just resulted in warm but still soaking shoes.

A reusable adsorbent is what you want, I imagine that’s what the silica packs above do. I get free paper from the mess room so not too fussed.

luv2ride
    Free Member
    TiRed

Newspaper and airing cupboard sees mine dry overnight. Always remove the insoles and scrunch up plenty of paper. Paper should come out sodden the next morning.

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

Need dried quickly – in front of fire
    A few days til needed – in the log shed

Otherwise, sealskinz, disnae matter a **** whether shoes are wet or not… 👌🏻

scotroutes

TBH I haven’t bought a newspaper for years. No free ones here either

CraigW
    Free Member

Newspaper just ends up as a soggy mess. I think the silica things are much better at actually absorbing water.

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

Newspaper just ends up as a soggy mess

Need to change a couple of times, once after an hour, then new stuff in. I’ve been using the same 4 crumpled up bits of newspaper on my running shoes I keep at work for lunchtime runs for about 2 years now!. 🙂

martinkiely
    Free Member

I use an electric wall mounted one that will accept two pairs of shoes – basically loops (filled with oil presumably?) that get very gently warm and will dry a wet pair of shoes overnight from my experience – lives in the garage, so when I get back in from a ride, I just stick the shoes straight on it – similar to this one: <span style=”font-family: ‘Helvetica Neue’,’Helvetica’,Helvetica,Arial,sans-serif; font-size: small;”>https://www.amazon.co.uk/HOMCOM-Wall-mounted-Electric-Deodorizer-Sterilizer/dp/B01M2Z9LJS/ref=sr_1_52_sspa?keywords=BOOT+DRYER&qid=1575290457&sr=8-52-spons&psc=1&spLa=ZW5jcnlwdGVkUXVhbGlmaWVyPUExS1dFQkw5NUxOQThUJmVuY3J5cHRlZElkPUEwMjc5NzI5MTYyNlMwR082NDRYMSZlbmNyeXB0ZWRBZElkPUEwMjE4NjUzMVRISk1IMlYzNlJERCZ3aWRnZXROYW1lPXNwX2F0Zl9uZXh0JmFjdGlvbj1jbGlja1JlZGlyZWN0JmRvTm90TG9nQ2xpY2s9dHJ1ZQ==</span&gt;

Onzadog
    Free Member

Need to change a couple of times, once after an hour, then new stuff in. I’ve been using the same 4 crumpled up bits of newspaper on my running shoes I keep at work for lunchtime runs for about 2 years now!. 🙂

Glad it’s not just me. Wife thinks I’m mad for drying out and reusing newspaper to dry shoes.

wordnumb
    Free Member

After a great deal of consideration and imagining the house burning down I decided to not forget overshoes (who ever suffered from feet too warm to ride?) ever again and to deploy waterproof socks / radiator & newspaper technique as required.

My name is wordnumb and I am a luddite.

dab

This
    Quality product that’s done me the last 5?seasons of ski / board and wet bike shoes drying

£29 well spent

https://www.decathlon.co.uk/shoe-dryer-therm-ic-id_8330888.html

BigJohn

My valet has feet only one size larger than mine so he can squeeze into them as he’s carrying out his evening duties. They dry out in no time but his feet must give out ammonia based on the smell next morning.

eskay

I have a one like @martinkiely has linked to (but mine is not wall mounted). I am not particularly impressed with it. I have size 12 feet and it only dries the toes and not the heels.

martinkiely
    Free Member

@eskay – I just turn them round and hang them on the heels! Fortunately I have more than one pair of shoes so can swap if needs be

eskay

Same!! I would like something that I could use and forget though, when this dryer breaks I will replace with something else.

Viewing 35 posts - 1 through 35 (of 35 total)

The topic ‘Recommend a shoe drying device please’ is closed to new replies.