Viewing 28 posts - 1 through 28 (of 28 total)
  • Recommend a PS4 fps
  • blokeuptheroad

I’m a fairly new, unsophisticated and intermittent gamer, but have been playing a bit more because of lockdown, darker nights etc.

I don’t do multiplayer deathmatch type stuff – just the campaigns and prefer a first person shooter. Mindless fun, but it helps keep me sane.

Can anyone recommend a decent one to try? I’ve just played Far Cry 5 which I downloaded on offer for just £10 which I thought was ace value considering how long it took me to play, I really enjoyed it too. I’ve also enjoyed Metro exodus, the last of us (not played the new one yet – it’s on the list), one of the recent Wolfenstein releases. COD WW2 was OK, but didnt match the hype for me and I did play one of latest Doom versions, but didn’t really get on with the slightly cartoony/sci fi feel of it. And whilst not really a fps, I’ve tried Red Dead Redemption 2 but didnt really get on with it. I might give it another try at some stage though.

So something like far cry or metro exodus, preferably cheap – it doesn’t need to be the latest hot release. Miserable sod that I am, I prefer the dystopian future or post apocalypse type vibe to realistic military games like COD.

Any suggestions?

howsyourdad1
    Free Member

Borderlands springs to mind. titanfall of course

I’m currently playing days gone, which has it’s faults but is enjoyable. Rdr2 is incredible, do persevere. I know you said no battle royal but apex legends, when you get a good game, is brilliant fun.

Next on my list is the new assassins creed

gingerbllr
    Free Member

The remastered versions of the bioshock trilogy are something like £10. Old but still outstanding.

blokeuptheroad

A few there I’ve not heard of, thanks I’ll check them out!

ta11pau1

Borderlands 3 is currently about £15 on PSN store.

Some might call it cartoony (cell shaded graphics) but it’s basically go here, shoot these massive amount of enemies, receive loot, kill boss, get loot, drive here, kill that, get loot… with an excellent and funny storyline.

howsyourdad1
    Free Member

😬

chrisdw
    Free Member

Destiny 2?
    It’s got a few smaller campaigns built in with the expansion packs. They’re all on Xbox game pass currently. Not sure if they are on the PlayStation equivalent.

It’s a bit of a ‘grind for the best gear’ game, but you don’t have to do that to enjoy the game. I’ve happily spent a fair few hours on there just shooting stuff.

windyg
    Free Member

Assassins Creed plenty to choose from Black flag would be a good starting point

Drac

Lots of bargains on PS Store.

blokeuptheroad

Cheers all, loads of ideas for me to check out, thanks 👍

TheFlyingOx

Borderlands trilogy as above, but the best FPS I’ve played in a VERY long time is Titanfall 2. Very good story mode albeit a little short, and varied multiplayer modes that have kept me going back for more in the 6 months since I downloaded it.

seosamh77
    Free Member

get yourself an EA play subscription: £20 for the year and you’ll get these games:

A Way Out
    ANTHEM
    Battlefield 1
    Battlefield 4
    Battlefield Hardline
    Battlefield V
    Burnout Paradise Remastered
    Fe
    FIFA 17
    FIFA 18
    FIFA 19
    FIFA 20
    Madden NFL 18
    Madden NFL 19
    Madden NFL 20
    Mass Effect: Andromeda
    Mirror’s Edge Catalyst
    NBA Live 18
    NBA Live 19
    Need for Speed
    Need for Speed Heat
    Need for Speed: Payback
    Need for Speed Rivals
    NHL 17
    NHL 18
    NHL 19
    NHL 20
    Peggle 2
    Plants vs Zombies: Garden Warfare
    Plants vs Zombies: Garden Warfare 2
    Plants vs Zombies: Battle for Neighborville
    Rocket Arena
    Sea of Solitude
    Star Wars: Battlefront
    Star Wars: Battlefront 2
    Star Wars Jedi: Fallen Order
    Titanfall 2
    The Sims 4
    UFC
    UFC 2
    UFC 3
    Unravel
    Unravel Two

Maybe not quite what you are after, but these should do your FPS diet.

Star Wars: Battlefront 2
    Star Wars Jedi: Fallen Order
    Titanfall 2
    Battlefield V
    Battlefield 1
    ANTHEM
    Mass Effect: Andromeda

seosamh77
    Free Member

ps well some might be 3rd person, but similar thing. Anyhoo, it’s a bargain and worth a look imo.

perchypanther
    Free Member

Get a PS VR, a copy of Doom VR and an adult nappy.

martinhutch

Borderlands can take a while to get into, and if you don’t like cartoony then it may grate a bit. Brilliant series though, I would start with the first and work through (is that available on PS4)?

Bioshock is a great call.

If you’re interested in stealth as well as shooting people in the face, try the Dishonoured series. Dishonoured 2 is one of my favourite games of all time.

dannybgoode

In true STW style I am going to recommend a non-FPS game although it has elements of it. Nier: Automata. Takes a little getting into but it is the most beautiful, bonkers, insane and compelling game I have ever played. There are so many WTF is going on here moments it’s untrue. An absolute must play…

BillOddie

Far Cry 4?

Not quite as good as Far Cry 5 but not far off.  There are 2 DLC campaigns for FC5 and Far Cry New Dawn set after the events of FC5.

Smudger666

PUBG? steep learning curve but still absolutely the best FPS IMO. its flawed for sure, but brilliant.

XBOX GT: Smudger GB if anyone plays.

tuboflard

In further keeping with STW I’ll recommend not a FPS but one of the best games (IMO) I’ve played in a long time, The Last Of Us Pt 2.

I usually dip in and out of games but this had me pretty well hooked. Only really complaint is the amount of cut scenes but that’s a minor quibble in the scheme of things.

allanoleary
    Free Member

I tend to browse CEX’s website and buy whatever jumps out at me as a bargain. Just picked up Star Wars Battlefront for £4

pondo

In accordance with the aforementioned tradition, I have absolutely loved Ghost Of Tsushima. I’d recommend it to anyone who likes chopping up bad guys with a sword.

dethbeard
    Free Member

i recently signed up for PS Now, which is a “netflix” of games on the PSN.

Have a peep at the games list here, Borderlands Collection is 2 and pre-sequel IIRC.
    Also has Doom (2016) which is one of the best FPS games since OG Doom.

I think its about £35 on CDKeys for a years membership.

baldiebenty
    Free Member

God Of War? Not an FPS but it’s ace.

eddie
    Free Member

Titanfall 2 is one of the best fps and usually can be had for under a £5

chvck
    Free Member

Came here to say Borderlands. I’ve played 3 A LOT (I’ve played all the others too) and there’s still another DLC I’m yet to get. It also has an online coop which I played with my mates over lockdown and that was a laugh too.

I’ve also enjoyed all the Far Cry games.

blokeuptheroad

Cheers all. I got hold of Doom eternal and the last of us 2 is on the way. At the glacial rate I complete these things with my fat uncoordinated thumbs, they should keep me busy for a while!

duckman

Loved far cry 5 and currently playing new Dawn, so a recommendation from me. Cheap as chips on the bay, but was expensive on the PlayStation store.Borderlands 2 was one of my all time favourite games and not sure if anybody has mentioned the division yet?

torsoinalake
    Free Member

Doom eternal

Prepare to die repeatedly and get frustrated.

Then when you think you are getting the hang of it, they introduce the Marauder.

Viewing 28 posts - 1 through 28 (of 28 total)

The topic ‘Recommend a PS4 fps’ is closed to new replies.