Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Reclaiming Stamp Duty
  • revs1972
    Free Member

Finally sold our old flat after accepting an offer on it late April . Jesus , what a long drawn out process that was. ( no chain, just crap conveyancers and their mortgage requirements )
    Almost got to the point where I wished I sold it to a cash buyer for their portfolio, rather than a first time buyer , but it’s done now.

Anyhow, when we bought the property we are in, we had to pay a higher rate of stamp duty as it was a “second home”.
    I want to claim it back now. Had anyone done that recently and how big a headache is it and what info do you need / what hoops do you have to jump through ?

argee

Isn’t it all online via government gateway, so pretty simple as long as you have all the information, just sign up and see how it is, i tend to use the government gateway for most things, as it’s a lot easier than forms, post and getting responses from areas!

DT78
    Free Member

I used our solicitor to do it all, it took nearly a year for HMRC to pay back the 10k they owed.

cp

did ours online via government website a couple of years ago. very simple process & chunky cheque arrived in the post about a month later IIRC.

mrchrist

Yeah take 28 days. Just crack on with the application.

tonyg2003

As people above say – do it yourself on the government gateway and it took just over a month to come through.

northernremedy

Done, quite simple through the inter webs and yeah about a month.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

The topic ‘Reclaiming Stamp Duty’ is closed to new replies.