Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Rechargeable batteries
  • muddyjames
    Free Member

What are reliable aa and aaa rechargeable batteries that have decent charge storage. The ones Ive been using seem to all charge in a very short time and discharge in equally short time. Use is for radiator TRVs.

Maybe my charger is the problem – it purports to tell me how charged each battery is but I tend to leave it on for longer.

CountZero

Eneloop (sp?) seem to be highly regarded. Most of my torches use 14500 Li-ion batteries, but I wouldn’t try using anything like those, there might be some issues…

devash
    Free Member

Supposedly IKEA rechargeables are made by Panasonic / Eneloop but they sell them as a loss leader so they’re cheaper.

murdooverthehill

Yep, eneloops.

muddyjames
    Free Member

Thanks! Eneloops ftw.

What about charger of choice?

bigginge

I bought one of these, completely over the top but satisfies the electronic engineer in me.

molgrips
    Free Member

Buy the ones that are sold as ‘pre-charged’. The reason they are pre-charged is that they don’t self-discharge like normal rechargeables do, and that is the main reason they go flat in all but high-drain applications. A normal rechargeable goes flat in a matter of weeks on its own even if you don’t use it.

I’ve got a mix of Duracell and Ever-Ready, whatever is the ‘pre-charged’ option.

oceanskipper

Been using Eneloops for a while now and recently switch to Amazon Basics for some things. Can’t really tell the difference so far.

I’ve got one of these chargers – lets you choose the charging current etc and charges all sorts of batteries.

18650 Battery Charger,MiBOXER 8-Bay Smart Charger with Automatic LCD Display,Fast Charge Rechargeable Li-ion LiFePO4 Ni-MH Ni-Cd AA AAA C 21700 26650 13650 16340 18350 18700 RCR123 https://amzn.eu/d/00HDFWy

GlennQuagmire
    Free Member

These may not be the latest tech, but these batteries are a bargain price

https://www.screwfix.com/p/varta-ready2use-rechargeable-aa-batteries-4-pack/5180k

ji
    Free Member

JUst dont buy ones that look almost the same as disposable ones – all my Duracell ones disapeared as I think they got binned by others when they were flat…

Cougar

Buy the ones that are sold as ‘pre-charged’.

Yep. It’s basically marketing speak for the tech used in Eneloops.

I have a houseful of Eneloops but I’d be taking a punt on those Varta batteries GQ linked to. Varta disposables are hard to beat, I’d have high expectations of the rechargeables.

zilog6128

Use is for radiator TRVs.

it’s not the greatest faff in the world, but I’m considering trying to mod mine so they’re mains or at least USB powered! But I’ll probably grab some of those Vartas in the meantime.

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.