Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Rear wheel bearing for car – replace with OEM or not?
  • highclimber
    Free Member

My rear wheel is squeaking and it’s stiff to spin so, it’s time to change the wheel bearings me thinks. Problem is its a whole kit including the hub. The OEM match is £120 with 3 year warranty and the cheaper one is £62 with one year warranty. Bearing in mind (pun not intended) the ones already on it are probably the originals and the car has done 97k, which would you go for? I’m erring towards the OEM but just wanted a second opinion before I fork out the pound notes!

Thanks in advance

parkesie
    Free Member

Keeping the car I’d go Oem thinking of selling cheapest.

flange
    Free Member

Makes little difference really, the bearings will be made by the same supplier for the most part. I’d go branded rather than OEM – something along the lines of SKS are pretty good.

What car is it? If its VW then look at GSF for decent stuff at decent money. In fact if its German, Swedish or French look there (hence the name!)

andyl
    Free Member

Find out who makes the OEM one and then a supplier who sells them without the OEM box.

eg it might be an SKF bearing.

try this place: http://www.aepdirect.com/peugeot-306-2.0-hdi-diesel-c3402?partcategory_id=115 (used 306 as an example to see if they did wheel bearings)

I buy all my servicing parts in bulk from them which looks good all arranged with a bit of OCD on my store room shelves 😀 (and they price match things like oil if you find it cheaper elsewhere)

also your local motor factor, eurocarparts, gsf etc.

highclimber
    Free Member

It’s a ford mondeo estate

d4
    Free Member

Europarts, normally do 2 levels go for the higher one of the two.

flange
    Free Member

Sorry – as mentioned above I meant SKF

highclimber
    Free Member

Went for the OEM SKF bearing considering Unipart price-matched an online price I’d seen for it.

A bit of a faff getting the old one off – The hole to get the torx socket wasn’t big enough so I had to butcher it with an angle grinder – any excuse to get the power tools out! Then I stripped one of the torx bolts so I grinded (not sure if that’s the correct verb) two flat parts off the bolt to get my trusty 13mm spanner on!

Time to take it for a spin (literally). hopefully it won’t fall off at the first corner!

bigyinn
    Free Member

Id go OEM for things like bearings. I presume it was the whole hub assembly at those prices?
    Having recently replaced some drop links on my Mazda, after the cheapo ones I fitted LAST YEAR failed the MOT.
    Im inclined to go for Unipart / Partco and not get the cheapo ones.

craigxxl
    Free Member

I replaced my Mondeo Estate rear bearings last year with Continental Direct bearings, part no CDK1236, which have been fine as you would expect them to be from part of the Continental Tyres group.
    They come with new bolts and a wheel speed sensor. I would recommend changing the sensor to the ones out of your old bearings or another new bosch one as the ones that come with them don’t last long.
    The rear bearing is simple to change but make sure you have a long reach torx bit as the access hole isn’t very big for removing the bolts.

craigxxl
    Free Member

Just read your last post, too late for the advice.

highclimber
    Free Member

The rear bearing is simple to change but make sure you have a long reach torx bit as the access hole isn’t very big for removing the bolts.

yeah, I quickly realised this. Glad I had my angle grinder at the ready!

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

The topic ‘Rear wheel bearing for car – replace with OEM or not?’ is closed to new replies.