Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)
  • Rear Axle help
  • mikertroid
    Free Member

I’ve got a Boardman FS Pro and need a new rear axle. The Formula FQR is a nightmare to keep tensioned and I’m trying to fathom out what I can use. It’ll wreck something before long.

142/12mm hub.
    Axle 152mm long, M12 pitch 1.5.

Any help much appreciated….

mikertroid
    Free Member

Anyone..bueller….?

nixie

Do you know if it’s a surface x12, Shimano ethru, SRAM maxle or other?

mikertroid
    Free Member

It’s a Formula axle but I want to find an alternative

nixie

If you don’t know a picture of the axle and both dropouts would help along with frame model year.

nixie

Like the ones on the right on this page? http://www.formulahubs.com/product.php?t=14

mikertroid
    Free Member

Email inbound….

joebristol

which year boardman pro fs is it? I had the silver and green one – can’t say I had any problems with the rear axle.

But it isn’t the type that bolts into the frame like a maxle – it had a big chunky axle that went through the hub and frame, then had a nut on the end of it. So like a really big qr with no springs.

mikertroid
    Free Member

Yes it looks like the ones on the right

2016 Boardman FS Pro – pics on their way! Ta!

nixie

Dtswiss make axles that fit most systems https://www.dtswiss.com/en/products/hubs-rws/rws/12-mm/.

I don’t immediately recognise the system in your pictures but the length and thread pitch are in the range that dtswiss make (depending on how you and they measure length).

A quick Google has come up with references to e-thru axles for that model name.

mikertroid
    Free Member

Many thanks-will go have a look.

mikertroid
    Free Member

Ordered a DT Swiss E-Thru. Will update when I get it.

spooky_b329

Timely thread…if I buy a frame with 100x12mm front, and 142×12 rear thru axles, will any 12mm through axle wheelset fit? (accounting for wheel size, obv!) The frame comes with the axles already so guessing everything should just work…

greyspoke
    Free Member

Are you sure you don’t mean 100×15 on the front? 12mm axles on the front are rare.

mikertroid
    Free Member

@spooky, I think the wheel/hub sizes are pretty standard. It appears there are numerous axle standards however. I’m hoping the DT Swiss is compatible with my Formula one-I’ll let you know!

spooky_b329

Thanks for the info. I think 12mm thru axles are more common on road/gravel bikes?

Tripster AT comes with 12mm both ends.

mikertroid
    Free Member

Okay just to let you know the DT RWS 142×12 axle does NOT fit the FS Pro. The thread is too short…..

Not in the business of getting a new one threaded so will send back and start again.

steel4real
    Free Member

Unfortunate ?

I would suggest that if you could post a picture of the actual Formula one you have and confirm if it’s an e thru type or not (captive nut in dropout) then there may be a more accurate and useful response ?

And you’re right, hubs are fairly standard but there are a load of axle types !

Needs to be specified like this….

mikertroid
    Free Member

S4R

It says it’s 152mm in length however I make it 168mm

Pitch M12 P1.5 and thread length 20mm

Can’t seem to post pics here.

The thread is in the dropout which is actually the rear mech hanger.

mikertroid
    Free Member

Okay I’ve spoken to Halfords and they now use this part:

Shimano SMA-X58-A

steel4real
    Free Member

Speaking to the supplier / manufacturer always going to be better than fannying around in here !

Lets’s hope it works !

mikertroid
    Free Member

Update:

The above part didn’t fit.

However the part that does now fit is a Shimano AX-MT700 in 166mm length. Looks a quality part too.

Hope that helps anyone with the same problem.

Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)

The topic ‘Rear Axle help’ is closed to new replies.