Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 42 total)
  • Really good flat pedals?
  • ton

which are the best flat pedals.
    looking for something that is easy to strip, service, regrease.
    needs to be flat, slim, grippy with flat bmx type shoes.

burgtech, 45nth, hope?

creamegg
    Free Member

Dont know about best as ive not tried every pedal but i cant fault straitline pedals. Got them on both my bikes

ton

just had a look at their defacto pedals, pricey, but look easy to strip and service.
    cheers.

creamegg
    Free Member

Yeah not cheap but cheaper than the hopes and takes 5 mins for a full strip down and rebuild. The AMP pedals are lighter but not as grippy as the defacto

honourablegeorge

DMR Vaults. I say that having owned Straitlines and a few others. HAve them on all the bikes now, they’re just ace

theocb
    Free Member

Saints are a pretty good bet. On offer at the mo.

tomkerton
    Free Member

+1 Vaults. Just the best. Don’t know about the maintenance side of things cos they’ve not needed it despite being ridden twice a week in all weather for two years.

jet26
    Free Member

Edinburgh cycles do own brand ones bout fifteen quid.

Only in black but what’s not to like at that price…

Mrs has them on her bike – they are good

stevede
    Free Member

Hammered the shit out of my vaults for a couple of years now, through my own fault i bent an axle (which was about £6 to replace) and other than that I’ve just took the pedals off the axles a couple of times a year and pumped a bit of grease in. Job done. Really good platform, nice shape to em and not stupid expensive.

loddrik
    Free Member

V12 mags. Light, grippy, look good.

guitarhero
    Free Member

The flat pedals I’m currently running on my bikes rated in order of preference are;
    1.Hope (with grippier pins)
    2.Vaults
    3.Exotic/Superstar

I used to be a fan of the Straitline pedals, and yes, they are easy to service. I just ended up getting annoyed with how often I had to do it.

RustyMac

Have a look on YouTube for that beardy bloke from great rock, he did quite a good video on how to strip and rebuild vaults. It would at worst help you decide if there serviceability is what you are looking for.

I have a pair and find them bigger yet slimmer and gripper than my v12’s.

Edit this one http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=CoO4WGNa0B0 /edit

stevede
    Free Member

Ed’s vid just shows you how to take the pedal body off and pump some grease in, I’m sure a bushing and bearing change will be straight forward but I haven’t needed to yet.

zelak999
    Free Member

Vaults imo. Easy to strip and rebuild when you need to.
    Well grippy.

scott_mcavennie2
    Free Member

Saints.

HermanShake
    Free Member

Vaults. Now in an even awesomer Mg platform with ti bling bits at 290g!?

So much grip with normal skate shoes, let alone 5tens which are even better.

Just remember to Loctite yer pins when new.

johnnyboy666
    Free Member

+1 for saints. Happy to spend money on shiny bits but it’s seems hard to justify the costs of a lot of these pedals to then smash them into some rocks. The saints are really good and you can pick them up for sub £40. Half of a set of Vaults and close to a third of hopes.

droppinneutron
    Free Member

I have some saints and find them to have a small platform and be pretty heavy-so I don’t like em

Have Hopes as well they are much better-but I would be interested In some grippier pins if anyone knows where I could get some

fd3chris
    Free Member

I’ve tried most of them and my fav by a mile are E13 lg1.

Teetosugars
    Free Member

I’ve a pair of Straitlines doing nowt if you want them Tony?

ndg
    Free Member

Saints here.

oldboy
    Free Member

Nukeproof Neutrons here.

guitarhero
    Free Member

Have Hopes as well they are much better-but I would be interested In some grippier pins if anyone knows where I could get some

They are currently available from Hope. You can order them from any Hope dealer. They are grippier than a Scotsman

winrya
    Free Member

I’ve gone from Vaults to saints and i find them equally as good. Saints perhaps more durable, vaults are lighter. If they were both the same price I’d take the saints. At half the price it’s a no brainer imo

roverpig

Is there anywhere online that does these extra grippy Hope pins, or do I have to go into a shop and speak with an actual human?

Baznav
    Free Member

[Is there anywhere online that does these extra grippy Hope pins, or do I have to go into a shop and speak with an actual human?]
    FFS. 🙄

mickd
    Free Member

Wellgo mg1’s,light,grippy and cheap!

oakesy2001uk
    Free Member

spank spike, awesome! prefer them to my superstar nano’s, which I’d previously rated with the best!

fattylee
    Free Member

+1 saints love mine plenty trippy and if they last half as long as my shimano m520’s I’ll be laughing

jim25

Spank spikes here too. Soo much better than my hopes.

bigjim

far prefer these to v8’s I used to use http://www.carboncycles.cc/?p=940&

coolhandluke
    Free Member

Wellgo Mag 1’s are nice but Hope pedals look the dogs,

mudfish

Bit late to the party, but my vote goes to Burgtec lovely Penthouse flats. You do really feel like part of the bike with the big platforms and super grippy pins. My MkIIIs, which I’ve had over 4 years, have lasted really well grip is fab and damaged pins (rare as they are strong) can be replaced without problems thanks to clever oversize base threads. Bearings last and last too. British MADE. Fly the flag, why not.
    MkIVs are cheaper, lighter AND thinner.
    Definitely on my wishlist (if only the III’s weren’t still riding like new I could justify it! Vaults are great too, grippy and light, but fragile in my experience.

anysize
    Free Member

Are the “grippier” Hope pins just the hollow ones e.g.:

http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/hope-flat-pedal-pins

Or is there another even grippier option?

rumple
    Free Member

MX80 saints all day.

Long strong pins,good bearings, can buy axle kits etc.

£40

qtip

I have Vaults and Burgtec MkIIs. The Vaults are great and just as grippy as the Burgtecs but the seal keeps on popping out of one of them and the bearings have already gone rattley (only had them a couple of months). On the other hand, the Burgtecs have only had a single bearing change in 5 years and are indestructible.

I wish I’d gone for the new Burgtecs instead of the Vaults, especially now their weight is competitive with similar pedals (the old MkIIs are ridiculously heavy).

cfinnimore
    Free Member

The ones I have, obviously.

Deity Decoy LT. 3 years, all seasons, not a single wibble wobble, absolutely perfect.

Just been replaced with the Magnesium ones cause i’m a tart.

disconoir
    Free Member

Got a set of Vaults which are ace but also got some Deity ones which look pretty much the same as the Nukeproof & Superstar ones which are also pretty good and about half the price.

Vaults have got a bit bent out of shape though.

mindmap3
    Free Member

Can’t fault my Nano’s really….especially whilst they’re being jobbed out at £37 a pair. They’re pretty light, grip well and have lasted well ans come in pretty colours if that’s your bag.

I’d like a pair of Vaults and came close to buying some but couldn’t do it. The thought if scraping an expensive pedal on rocks….

Hob-Nob
    Free Member

The new Burgtecs are a bit odd, the platform runs right up to the crank arm. As a spakky footed flat pedal rider I’d be smashing my ankles and shoes into the crank arms non stop.

The Vaults are pretty good though, although I’ve just stuck with A set of NP Neutrons that came on a bike I bought a while ago, as pedals tended to be consumable, although these are nearly 2 years old and still going strong!

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 42 total)

The topic ‘Really good flat pedals?’ is closed to new replies.