Viewing 40 posts - 881 through 920 (of 1,715 total)
  • Realistically, EU holidaying by late summer?
  • oldtennisshoes

They did concede that if, e.g. a costly restriction still remained such as £1750 10 day quarantine in hotels, then they would probably cancel trips.

Mmmm so they’ll take the hit if guests are able to travel, but have to quarantine in hotels on return.
    I’m not sure I’d believe them.

ian_french
    Free Member

Wishful thinking, but I also doubt it. I’ve a sneaky feeling that Boris will panic at his advisor’s rhetoric and will move the goalposts again, delaying the exit strategy.

Maybe back end of 2021, or early 2022

13thfloormonk

Mmmm so they’ll take the hit if guests are able to travel, but have to quarantine in hotels on return. I’m not sure I’d believe them.

I think they also have staff that travel back and forth, so they’d get hit with the same costs and wouldn’t be able to pass them on to anyone.

But you’re right, I don’t think any of us would commit if the hotel quarantine restriction HADN’T been lifted.

Frankly I’m sort of hoping enough restrictions stay in place that it makes sense not to go and so that we might stand some sort of a chance of getting flight money back or transferred. I’m on a weird sort of fence where I don’t just want to cancel without good reason (letting mates down, losing some flight money) but equally I’d sort of be glad if the whole thing just got postponed or cancelled.

weeksy

I feel that pain 100%

bruneep

we’ve moved our 2020 cyprus booking that was moved to 2021 to sept 2022. Despite the headlines today that something won’t happens and travel will again be restricted

Edukator
    Free Member

I’m still optimistic on this side of the channel. If the vaccination programme goes to plan the pressure will be off the hospitals in Europe and I think we’ll be let of the leash again as we were last year. As we approach the first anniversary of the first wave the numbers in hospitals are running at levels below that first wave. Several million people have acquired antibodies, a few million more have been vaccinated and the number is rising, Spring is on its way.

The question is whether the borders will be open to British tourists. Their cash will be very welcome but will they be able to get home without an expensive hotel quarantine? Is Boris prepared to piss people off just to piss of the European tourist industry? Are European countries prepared to forego revenue just to raise a digit to Boris?

Those questions can’t be answered at the minute so the answer is to just book the parts of the holiday that are likely to be overbooked and make up the rest as you go along. Book a couple of ferry crossings and leave it at that. There’s always accomodation in ski resorts, they’ve enough beds to cope with the ski season and there are never that many reservations in Summer – a last minute booking in Les Arcs/La Plagne is a cert.

mattyfez

I’ve a sneaky feeling that Boris will panic at his advisor’s rhetoric and will move the goalposts again, delaying the exit strategy.

I’ve never met the illustrious Mr.Johnson.

From what I hear, he shouldn’t be taken too seriously.

Which is an obvious concern, as he’s allegedly in charge of an entire nation.

pjm7
    Free Member

We’ve got a track day (motorbike) in Jerez at the end of May, which I think will be very touch and go and have re-booked last years trip to Chatel for the end of July, which I’m more optimistic about, time will tell…….

csb

Family (not immediate i should add, I find the idea horrific) have had Cunard cruises postponed from 2020. They get on-board credit for keeping their money invested rather than refunded.

But surely with all these postponed holidays beyond one year, the companies are eventually going to collapse from lack of turnover? Do the Atol things still protect the consumer?

mattyfez
    cloudnine
    Free Member

Little miss cloudnine has the opportunity to compete at a world championships in Denmark on August 1st..
    It’s one of those opportunities that don’t come along all that often. I’m torn between being sensible or just crossing everything and trying to go..

So.. Denmark in August.. yay / nay

MoreCashThanDash

Little miss cloudnine has the opportunity to compete at a world championships in Denmark on August 1st..
    It’s one of those opportunities that don’t come along all that often. I’m torn between being sensible or just crossing everything and trying to go..

So.. Denmark in August.. yay / nay

Yay.

LittleMissMC should have been at Eurogym this July in Iceland, delayed from last year but it’s been cancelled. They don’t get chances like this too often. Luckily she got to go to Austria in 2019.

weeksy

August I’d say yes.

dyna-ti

I’m thinking about Gibraltar.

Beach and they speak the lingo.

MoreCashThanDash

Beach and they speak the lingo.

So does Skegness but not sure I fancy that either….

weeksy

I’m still waiting on the 27th May. With infection rates and death rates as they are, the fear of me getting the CV19 from a holiday trip has almost turned into something irrelevant in my mind. Sure i MAY get it, but i may get it going to the supermarket here..

My main concern is with the viability of the trip now. Mostly in terms of restricions in terms of finance and freedom i guess. We’ve sat down and weighed it up, if it costs us £500 more than it was, we’ll swallow that cost. But the 10 days isolation we can’t accept. All of this assumes of course that on the 17th May that they predict flights will be allowed, they actually are and don’t require a vaccination passport.

But it’s all still very much unknown for us at the moment, which is kinda irritating. I’d like someone to just “yes/no” and we know we’re going or not. But i understand that’s not entirely possible.

stumpyjon

Doesn’t look like the EU will be a great destination this year, somewhat behind the curve in the vaccinations stakes, Italy going back into lockdown due to a third wave.

BBC Article

dantsw13

Remember that at this stage last year the pandemic was only just getting started. With treatments & vaccines now available the tail of the graph should look very different this year.

MoreCashThanDash

I read that BBC article this morning. Fair enough if you really want to go abroad this year, but expect the situation and rules to keep changing at short notice, and don’t complain if you face a big ladt minute cost and/or inconvenience.

weeksy

Still not sure what we’re doing about our trip yet.
    Portugal is looking good on cases etc, but Europe in places, mmmm not so much. Will that move over into Portugal, I dunno yet.
    We’ve got 4 weeks to decide what we’re doing both as a family and as a group.
    I’m not sure any of the family will be vaccinated, but most of the group have had at least their first jab. But won’t have had their 2nd.

I’m still not seeing a massive risk in an infection context, but cost and risk of being stuck is a concern.

sharkbait
    Free Member

but Europe in places, mmmm not so much.

Something of an understatement there!
    Europe looks like much of it is heading downhill now.

MoreCashThanDash

I’m still not seeing a massive risk in an infection context, but cost and risk of being stuck is a concern.

And totally out of your control. My personal view is that I would only travel if I could afford the time and cost of any mid trip imposition of 2 weeks quarantine. I think it remains a very real risk for the rest of 2021, so I’m not chancing it.

mattyfez

Something of an understatement there!
    Europe looks like much of it is heading downhill now.

Bit of a weird one,

France, Germany, Italy, Poland not doing well.

But UK, Portugal, Spain, Romania, Belguim, Sweeden all look to be doing about the same, reletivley well, in terms of new daily infections.

https://www.arcgis.com/apps/opsdashboard/index.html#/bda7594740fd40299423467b48e9ecf6

I’m trying to think why there would be such a disparity but I’m struggling.

eddiebaby
    Free Member

Does’t look good does it….

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-56467813

piemonster

I’m trying to think why there would be such a disparity but I’m struggling.

Will it be tied into prevalence of the Kent variant?

rOcKeTdOg

Summer holidays overseas are “extremely unlikely” because of the risk of travellers bringing coronavirus variants back to the UK, a scientist on a government advisory body has said.

I’d like to think people wouldn’t be so selfish as to go on holiday and risk bringing back a variety that could kill many people just for the sake of some sunshine. But then people 🤷‍♂️

Kryton57

I think France & Germany are very close to being on the red list by the end of next week. A third wave is predicted in Europe, so with that to manage over the next 2-4 months they’ll be very little overseas travel.

Northwind

csb

But surely with all these postponed holidays beyond one year, the companies are eventually going to collapse from lack of turnover? Do the Atol things still protect the consumer?

I’ve heard mutterings that some of the holiday protections only work with a booked holiday, not with “store credit” or similar. Can’t substantiate it but it’s been reported a few times. Apparently it can also cause issues with credit card protection if you’ve made a purchase then accepted a refund as store credit- the original purchase that was protected can expire. I don’t know if either of these are a real problem in these cases but worth checking out.

MrSmith
    Free Member

Posted 2 weeks ago:

I’m still optimistic on this side of the channel. If the vaccination programme goes to plan the pressure will be off the hospitals in Europe and I think we’ll be let of the leash again as we were last year. As we approach the first anniversary of the first wave the numbers in hospitals are running at levels below that first wave. Several million people have acquired antibodies, a few million more have been vaccinated and the number is rising, Spring is on its way.

2 weeks is a long time in politics

big_n_daft
    Free Member

I’d like to think people wouldn’t be so selfish as to go on holiday and risk bringing back a variety that could kill many people just for the sake of some sunshine. But then people

Lots of those people on this forum

Mister-P
    Free Member

I’d like to think people wouldn’t be so selfish as to go on holiday and risk bringing back a variety that could kill many people just for the sake of some sunshine

Have you met people? They are chumps.

weeksy

I guess I’m a selfish chump change g n as I’m considering going

mattyfez

Will it be tied into prevalence of the Kent variant?

But if the ‘kent varient’ was so bad we’d see bigger spikes in the UK, more so in the south.

There’s so much mis-information being spread.. are the UK testing less to massage the figures/ or was the ‘kent’ varient already prevelant, it just hapened to be first identified in kent? It’s endemic, it mutates, and the political bun fight over vaccines was as predicable as sure as the sun sets and rises.

sharkbait
    Free Member

But if the ‘kent varient’ was so bad we’d see bigger spikes in the UK, more so in the south.

Do you not remember the end of December and January?

reluctantjumper

Doesn’t look good does it….

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-56467813

No. I was sort of hoping to be able to get abroad on a solo trip this year but I’ve completely knocked that idea on the head, just far too much risk of getting caught up in restrictions or an outbreak that I could bring back here. With UK holiday prices going nuts too I’m resigned to the fact I’ll only get day trips in this year with possibly a camping trip or two in while the schools are still in.

mattyfez

Do you not remember the end of December and January?

The spike caused by the self entitled asreshosles who ‘deserve’ a chrismas /NYE blow out, (private party) you mean?

MoreCashThanDash

The spike caused by the self entitled asreshosles who ‘deserve’ a chrismas /NYE blow out, (private party) you mean?

The spike at the end of December was caused by the spread of the Kent variant in the weeks before. The government setting up the Christmas and New Year spread was the icing on the cake.

soobalias
    Free Member

With UK holiday prices going nuts too I’m resigned to the fact I’ll only get day trips in this year with possibly a camping trip or two in while the schools are still in.

at this point im holding onto hope for late sept or oct – but really as i dont think i can mentally cope with writing off another whole year and having winter to ‘look forward’ to.

clocks cant change soon enough

Northwind

As much as I want to get out to the alps, I’ve just decided to holiday the **** out of the UK instead. Booked my first week away for literally the first day of the scottish lockdown relaxing, and a wee super-cheap 3 dayer the week after.

This would probably be irresponsible super-spreading behaviour except that I would have spent the entire time either riding bikes or reading in hotel rooms and avoiding humans, even if there weren’t a virus.

Viewing 40 posts - 881 through 920 (of 1,715 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.