Viewing 28 posts - 1 through 28 (of 28 total)
  • Real life experience of Waterproof MTB Trousers
  • stingmered

As per title, looking for real life long-term ownership experience of waterproof trousers. Am a relatively recent convert to MTB trousers and now wouldn’t consider anything else in winter. Decided that soft shell type w/proof is worth investigating. All the reviews I read are obviously on brand new kit, DWR in perfect condition, never washed or wettted out etc. Real life scenario is more like 1) get home looking like I’ve been rolling around a building site 2) hose myself down after cleaning bikes. 3) clothes into washer for 15 min rinse. 4) waterproof items (jackets etc.) removed and left to drip dry. 5) repeat thrice weekly for 6 months.

I have a suspicion that after a few months of regular use, the w/proof-ness will have effectively disappeared. Hoping that somebody will prove me wrong!

militantmandy
    Free Member

So I have Endura MTR trousers that I’ve had for a couple of years. They still keep me pretty dry for a couple of hours if riding in wet conditions, but if you’re out in a downpour they soak through pretty quick. They have definitely lost some waterproof-ness, despite a couple of re-proofings. They weren’t the most expensive though and they are still totally useable for riding when it’s just wet / drizzly which covers most of my winter rides. Perhaps a more expensive pair would have survived longer, not sure.

akbar
    Free Member

I’ve some Gore leggings that have a windproof layer built in to them. Warm and flexible and with a breathable water treatment from Grangers applied, seem to keep me dry for a few hours at least on rainy days. Wear some normal MTB shorts over the top to avoid looking like a roadie. Not tried MTB trousers though and didn’t know they were even a thing until now.

stingmered

Thanks. How have they survived on the seat area? Finding that in winter that’s the first thing to go, even with reinforcement.

tjagain

I use hillwalking kit  Softshells with dwr are Ok for a bit of light rain but IME wet thru after an hour or two.  Good for going out on a day with a bit of drizzle forecast but when its pishing it down I use proper waterproof trousers

these are the ones I like best – fairly heavy duty and warm.  I have a variety of softshell trousers of varying thickness

https://www.gooutdoors.co.uk/15906582/oex-men-s-strata-softshell-trouser-regular-length-15906582

tall_martin

I’ve been in fox defend fire for last winter and this winter.

Still warm and dry. Mostly they have been used for 2h rides with occasional 4h.

Did a 4h gravel ride with an outside coffee stop in 2 degrees. I was happy standing about, mates in tights were freezing during the stop.

When they die I’ll buy some more 🙂 they were on sale when I bought them, I’d pay full price after a winter and a half of relative comfort.

stingmered

@tjagain have considered this route, but what about wear on the seat? where i live it’s all gritstone and it destroys shorts/trousers in quicktime in winter. I fear hill-walking trousers without seat reinforcement will last about 3 minutes.

monkeyboyjc

I’ve endura mt500 freezing point thermal trousers – which have been a bit of a game changer for me this winter. Bought at the end of the summer in  a sale so no long term experience. But having warm dry legs and bum at the end of a ride is great.

Washed at 30 with no detergent at end of each ride and no sign of wear or loss of waterproofing (yet). Although I must admit I don’t do the biggest rides, especially in the winter so they have only 100 or so miles on them.

tjagain

but what about wear on the seat?

No issues for me but I use full mudguards. some of the ones I have have a reinforced seat but the ones I linked to do not

kayak23

This season I’ve been mostly wearing waterproof fishing trousers from Decathlon.

They seem very tough, they’re certainly warm, perhaps too warm.
    Downside is they’re a little on the non stretchy side for pedalling.

DickBarton

Got some Madison waterproof trousers – maybe Roam? – and they seem to work very well. Pretty sure they are waterproof but they are also ‘warm’…I remove the trousers and my legs are generally sweaty – warm and sweaty rather than cold and wet from the trousers.

They seem to work well but they do keep my legs warm (which I tend to find is good given how cold it can be when the weather is bad).

matt_outandabout

IME it takes a few years to wear through the seat of proper waterproof shorts – because I only wear them in absolutely filthy weather and do nothing more than a quick hose down.

This on a pair of Endura (8 years old, finally leaking) and Scott (5 years iirc).

I have a softshell short at well (Mavic) that is just enough to keep bum warmer and slow down damp getting in, but not much more. I wear those much more often.

And then I have light, stretchy, ‘normal’ riding shorts for the majority of time.

JonEdwards
    Free Member

I’ve got Madison DTE waterproofshorts – not trousers. I think on their 3rd winter of Peaks slop now.

They’ve not worn through, although the arse is looking a little tired.

However they ain’t waterproof, and weren’t after the first 6 rides or so. They stop you from getting an ice cold enema after every puddle, so a damn sight more pleasant than normal baggies, but my nethers are still wet after an hour or so. The windproofing is also useful in cold weather.

This is pretty much my experience of all waterproofs though. Don’t expect to be dry. Do expect to be moist, but hopefully only a little, unless its torrential, at which point you might as well be starkers.

tmb467
    Free Member

I got a pair of THESE and other than a few outdoors walks and an occasional ride, I’ve not really tested them in anger but they are very comfy and waterproof so far

Sorry I can’t be more specific

nickc

Decathalon RockRider

I’ve just bought some of these after they’ve been pretty well reviewed. I’ve a pair of Sweet Protection lightweights, but they’re not water proof to any standard (although do dry out very fast) which is OK in intermittent conditions or “wet ground/ no rain” type scenarios, but for sustained rain they’re not great.

picking them up later for a ride on Saturday, will report back!

stingmered

Thanks all.

This is pretty much my experience of all waterproofs though. Don’t expect to be dry. Do expect to be moist, but hopefully only a little, unless its torrential, at which point you might as well be starkers.

This is pretty much my expectation. Damp (from inside or out) I can live with and almost expect. But keeping off the worst, especially from spray / slop after heavy and prolonged rain (Nov-April in the Pennines) would be a boon, much like my w/proof riding jackets. My normal (non w/proof) Endura trousers do a good job to a point.

I’m meticulous about keeping non riding clothing w/proof (cleaning/proofing), but that just doesn’t work for MTB.

oikeith

Got some Madison waterproof trousers – maybe Roam? – and they seem to work very well. Pretty sure they are waterproof but they are also ‘warm’…I remove the trousers and my legs are generally sweaty – warm and sweaty rather than cold and wet from the trousers.

I have the same trousers, they only come out when its below 3degrees and wet out, any other time I just wear my troy lee sprint trousers. I have just picked up the MT500 endura onesie so intrigured if that handles heat better.

My Madison trousers and jacket I have had for several years, I dont wash them after every use, I think I last washed the trousers pre covid but have used them during the winters since, I just hose them off with cold water and let them drip dry, less washing the better IMO.

johnjn2000

I have these Linky Link As well as the full Dirt Suit and I bang on about them waaay too much! Brilliant build quality, comfy, well thought out designs with nice little features that you notice and make you smile, and as long as you take note of the care instructions they stay waterproof. I haven’t used any special wash product on them in 12 months and they still keep me dry.

Northwind

I have some Madison ones, they’re a good thing to have in the wardrobe but imo there’s not that many rides when they’re really good. For proper cold, dry or wet, I love them, as they’re windproof but breathable, a great combination. In warmer conditions they’re too hot, except for uplifts (which they are excellent for). So that basically means there’s not that many wet days when I want to wear them because it’s either too cold for rain, or, it’s horrible and I don’t want to go out at all. So I stay in my waterproof shorts a lot more than I expected… but the rides I wear them for, I’m always extremely glad for them. Especially at the end!

My main gripe is that I tried pretty much every set I could find and not one of them was as generous around the knees as I wanted (for kneepads), I think mostly because of the stupid trend for low profile/minimalist pads.

And also, I’m a pretty averagely proportioned person, but none of them have long enough legs. More so once you add knee pads as that tends to hitch them up a bit, but at best they sit at shoe height. I want them to pour over my shoes, and have enough spare length that even crouched right up or when moving around they stay long. That seems like an obvious thing? But none of them are, they’re all just sort of normal trouser shaped.

oldfart

I thought I’d cracked it with Madison DTEs but after about a month to my disappointment they started letting water in so they’ve gone back . I’m now going to try water repellent tights under my Endura trousers .

Del

mudguards.

andyha
    Free Member

Thermal 3/4 bibs over a pair of Keela roadrunners work for me through the winter.

johnjn2000

@Northwind Take a look at the Dirtlj trousers, I think they will do everything you need unless you are maybe 6ft5 or above. Loads of room for knee pads, and decent inside leg length, and well made.

Tracey

I’ve got some of the first Madison Flo’s, had them for quite some time. Still going strong, never been washed. I just use a hose pipe to blast the mud off and let them drip dry. I can get my knee pads on under them. They also have tags on the bottom of the legs to tighten around the ankles if needed

petedee
    Free Member

Endura mt500 spray trouser. Perfect for drizzly days. Breathable. Comfy. On a down pour, I don’t think any trouser will be 100%, unless they aren’t breathable, which would make you wet underneath anyway. Happy medium I believe.

continuity
    Free Member

I just don’t understand why you’d ever want them, unless you’re mountain biking in the snow or to put on whilst static for a long time.

If it’s warm enough for water to be liquid, it’s warm enough to get a bit damp, and waterproofs will only soak you in your own sweat.

Northwind

Oooh ta john2020, will do

fudge9202
    Free Member

Have heard good things about Keela lightning trousers plan to give them a try.

Viewing 28 posts - 1 through 28 (of 28 total)

The topic ‘Real life experience of Waterproof MTB Trousers’ is closed to new replies.